RW 6 will not update a stack

Hey All,

I have a stack that its version 1.0.8 on my machine and it needs to be updated to version 1.1.0 to be fully functional with Stacks 3. My laptop grabbed the update fine, but my iMac is bing stubborn and refuses to update the stack.

Any hints?

Thanks.
Blessings,
–Mark

@garageshop, try uninstalling the old version of the stack in RapidWeaver, restarting RapidWeaver and installing the newer version…

Brad

Yep, that is what I did to get it working on my lap top. I suppose I can just more the stack over but that is not the way it is suppose to work, hence looking for something I am missing to make it happen.

Thanks.
Blessings,
–Mark

Mac OS X 10.11 introduced new SSL requirements. Some of the recent versions of RapidWeaver broke all non-SSL updates. Later releases of RapidWeaver added a workaround (while devs update their servers) – but there are a few RW versions out there that can cause trouble. If your troubled machine is El Capitain OS X 10.11 make sure you have the very latest RapidWeaver and give it another go.

If that doesn’t help, then here’s a list from simple to complex to debug a stubborn update:

• Quit and relaunch RapidWeaver, just to be sure you’re starting from a clean slate. If this seems to fix it, it may be that the updater ran, but didn’t finish quickly enough. In this case Stacks doesn’t show the update until after a restart.

• Open the Stacks update window and click the Check Now button. Even if it already ran, click it anyway. Automatic updates will only run once per day. Clicking the button will force it to run always. If this seems to fix it, then the automatic update just hadn’t run (there are a few reasons this can happen).

• Go look at the file in the Finder: right click (or control click) on the stack in the library and choose “Show in Finder”. Does the stack look normal? Is there another stack with the same/similar name installed? Is there anything out of the ordinary? If there’s anything odd, clean it up and relaunch RW.

Now Stop
If you’re a uber-nerd like me – you’ll want to keep digging and get to the bottom of this – but it gets pretty techy from here on out. If fixing it soon is more important than figuring it out – then just contact the developer and ask for a fresh copy. That will be the quickest and easiest.

OK. So we’re all nerds from here on out… right!?
I’m going to move a bit more quickly and explain less. Let’s do this!

• Open up the Stacks Prefs, switch to the Advanced tab and enable the Developer Console. This will show a Console button next to the Stacks Prefs button. Warning: that enabling the dev console logs a lot of info which is useful for divs, but this slows down Stacks significantly, so be sure to turn it back off when you’re done.

• Open the Console (click the button) and switch to the last tab (Console).

• With the console open, run the check for updates again, manually clicking the check button. Look for errors in the console. (and report those that you find to their developers). If the stack in question shows an error – you’ll want to fix that problem (if it’s something like “no internet connection”) or report it to the developer (if it’s something like “server returned 404”).

• If the problem persists and there is no error or no logging at all for the stack then the problem is a quite rare one: some other stack is causing so much mischief that the stacks updater system is dying before even getting to your stack or before reporting any errors. Really, this is very rare, but if this is the case, you’ll want to debug by adding/removing stacks and rerunning until the problem is resolved or error messages do start appearing.

2 Likes

Thank you Isaiah! This is REALLY helpful!

Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the inner workings!

Alas, it did not solve my immediate problem, and I just copied over and installed the correct stack from the other machine. The Console reported OK on all stacks, even the one that was out of date. Ug. Oh well. I got there in the end and delighted to know how to check for the future!

Thanks.
Blessings,
–Mark