RW not opening files - tried various files

Hi Guys,
I could really use a hand here… I had to reinstall my os, reinstall rapidweaver - and now my projects cannot be opened. I tried wiping rw with appcleaner, redownload, reinstall…
I do not know which plist file the error message is referring to, never seen or handled any of these and certainly did not remove any files from the project folders. Any help is welcome…
RW 8 (8.7 as well as 8.9.3 have the same error message…), stacks 4, os catalina…
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-10 um 12.44.20

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem.

It looks like that the project file, which is a special kind of Mac OS folder called a “package” that contains lots of files, including many plists, has gotten corrupted.

My suggestion would be to restore the project file from a backup copy.

Hi Teefers, thank you for your reply. I hope you are wrong - I tried opening 10 files so far, all of which are basically my backups. So whenever I open a file and work on it I save it as a copy, all of them get the same error message. All of them used to work. Is there any other possible solution?

tagging @dan

1 Like

Not sure what else it could be. You said you totally removed RapidWeaver and reinstalled it.

Have you tried opening a new project and adding a stacks page? Save it, and reopen it.

Are you using any of the many “cleaning” utilities available? Those often can cause issues with Rapidweaver projects.

Where are you storing the project files? Cloud storage systems like Dropbox have been known to give problems as well.

2 Likes

Are you storing your projects on iCloud or Dropbox? If so, perhaps they haven’t fully downloaded yet… this would be one reason why you might get that error.

1 Like

@juergenhaascom I’m not sure where you retrieved your backups from. One great feature of RW is the ability to send/retrieve backups directly to your server. Hopefully you have this activated. See image below. This is all done in the Publishing pane. The advantage of this type of backup is it will not have been corrupted by some Mac cleaning utility or a sync problem with Dropbox or iCloud.

BTW if you use this approach it’s also useful to make sure your resources are added into the RW document and not residing somewhere outside of RW. See below.

2 Likes

Alright, thank you guys. If I am not mistaken, dropbox corrupted the files in the process of backing them up - breaking both original and backup. I got another backup, the main file I tried to load is working now, no time for more tests. What a shame, really.
Anyway, thank you guys. I need to reset my workflow then - time machine managed to fail me before, so dropbox and time machine are out of the question.

1 Like

I use Backblaze for online backup and have successfully restored several RW projects without any issue.

2 Likes

Backblaze has worked for me multiple times as well. They also now have options (additional cost) for retrieving older files.

I also have TimeMachine (two independent drives) running, literally use it all the time, and never had a failure.

1 Like

Time Machine, the two times I really needed it it failed completely for me. Both times broke down restoring full backups without giving any alternative but to “not”. Two very differents macs, full backups, no error message in the process of making backups, no foreshadow whatsoever.
I may be the exception to the exception, but I will not trust that thing again… Not without a backup for the backup.

I have done full machine restores from TimeMachine many times and never had a problem. Of course, TimeMachine and BackBlaze both don’t back up the OS.

For individual file recovery, TimeMachine in my never humble opinion is the easiest. As I said I use it at least once a week to recover early versions of code files I screwed up.

BackBlaze is my offsite backup. I have and frequently test it to ensure the recovery process will work, but it’s mostly for full disaster recovery (eg, my office burns down, or floods). In which case I probably have a lot to do before like replace equipment, find a location, etc., etc. so I can order their external drive to recover. Btw I’ve tested the external drive option as well.

I used to have Carbon Copy Cloner but found it redundant. It and product’s like it makes full restores a breeze as they produce a bootable restore disk. But my take on it is how often do you do a full restore? Hardware failures happen, but thankfully not often.

Not sure what the plan would be using Dropbox for a full recovery? Do they now offer some kind of backup service? Or are you going to have to recover your Mac OS by hand and then redownload all your files?

Backblaze will send you an external drive with all your backed-up data on it. And if you return the drive within 30 days you only pay for shipping.
The individual file download with BackBlaze works well, just takes a bit longer than TimeMachine or any local backup does.

“Of course, TimeMachine and BackBlaze both don’t back up the OS.”

Why would TM not back up the os? It is supposed to restore the entire system drive, if set so, is it not?

“For individual file recovery, TimeMachine in my never humble opinion is the easiest. As I said I use it at least once a week to recover early versions of code files I screwed up.”

Nah, especially individual files do not work for me with time machine - but that is my personal problem with it.
The real problem I have with it that if failed me twice badly, as described above.

“I used to have Carbon Copy Cloner but found it redundant. It and product’s like it makes full restores a breeze as they produce a bootable restore disk. But my take on it is how often do you do a full restore? Hardware failures happen, but thankfully not often.”

Well, this hardware failure cost me like 10 days of time.
I have used ccc to back up my document folders - this is what saved the day, getting back to those files I had the problem with originally. I have not used it for full backups so far, I might.

“Not sure what the plan would be using Dropbox for a full recovery? Do they now offer some kind of backup service? Or are you going to have to recover your Mac OS by hand and then redownload all your files?”

I set dropbox to sync my documents folder and then stored my rapidweaver files in there, amongst others. The outcome is history.

OS is running again, it just took me ages.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.