Selling audio files

what’s the best way to sell audio files? I have rapidcart pro but I’ve seen posts on this forum stating that support for the product is null. It’d be disappointing to invest a lot of time developing a shop only to have no support.

Interesting guys! I think this is the same for a lot of people.

I’ve had quite a few emails since launching Cart 2 “can you sell digital files with Cart2?” - the answer at the moment is “no” and it’s for physical goods and services

But I’ve got some ideas / something in the oven on selling audio (digital files) and will send you a DM on it to try it out @devananda and @benb :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Received your tag and very interested.

1 Like

You can use 3rd party carts outside of RW… we use Ultracart backend (not their frontend). Using the backend just means we us RW for the product pages and such and you click a button to place the item in the cart (which is running on ultracart servers). UC carries a monthly fee but it can do just about anything with downloads OR physical product. Not plugging UC here specifically… just saying you can consider 3rd party carts “outside” of RW…

There are lots of options that have monthly fees and give very stingy allowance for file size. Rapidcatr is the only one I have seen that I would consider cost effective to date, or possibly paddle in some circumstances.

Don’t know how true it is, Rob (@rob) claims RCP is back doing support. This was post was from about 10 days back. Time will tell.

http://forums.realmacsoftware.com/t/has-anyone-heard-from-rapdicart-pro-4gnd-in-last-six-months/16971/1

1 Like

I sell digital music files on my website. I zip the mp3 files along with PDF files of the artwork. I use AWS to store my files and Rapid Cart Pro for all of this and it is seamless. I do this with sheet music in PDF format as well. Once you get it set up you can forget about it and let the money roll in.

Terry Vosbein

this is the site I with RCP:

1 Like

thanks for the input @TVosbein I was wondering how the URL is kept secret? Theoretically, anyone could find out the download URL?

I was thinking I would need to create a single page for each song and when the purchase is complete on Paypal the redirect URL goes to the download page for the audio file.

But storing them on AWS means that the redirect URL is the AWS url and it is forced to download?

Yes, Cartloom handles this with ease :slight_smile:

When editing or adding a product, click the “Digital” tab, and enable Digital Active. Next, in the File Delivery options, you can drag and drop in your audio file, along with setting many features specific to digital product handling. Not sure if you’re aware but almost all RapidWeaver developers use Cartloom to sell there products because the digital handling is that good.

Cartloom will host the download files, fully handle the url link encryption, expire settings, and future customer order lookup, and download file retrieval!

You cab also try an online musicservice like bandcamp.com and embed the player in your own website. Bandcamp takes care of your sales.

Just got this a couple days ago.
https://store.yuzool.com/item/digi

1 Like

Thanks for the mention @teefers - had quite a few emails over the years to ask if Cart could handle digital so I think there’s a lot of digital creatives using RW so hope it’s useful :slight_smile: Main benefit with this option is there’s not hosting restrictions as files are not uploaded to Digi, just referenced. Good to have lots of options :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for all the great input, feedback and suggestions. This forum is invaluable and I appreciate the superior support and compadre experienced here. After deliberating on the options and my client’s needs, we’ve decided to go with Cartloom.

And I am so happy we did. Setting up is a breeze and within less than 10 minutes I signed up, created the store AND my first product.

No wonder it’s the number one choice for so many developers and storefronts on rapidweaver and beyond.

1 Like

Just thought I’d post this here as well. I have no idea how well this works, but Sitelok is very highly thought of in the community and this is by the same guy. There’s even a cart to go with it. https://www.vibralogix.com/linklokipn/

I wonder if anyone has used it, or if anyone plans to develop a stack for it like Joe Workman’s sitelok stacks?

1 Like

Linklok Paypal can be used to sell access to download files which are securely stored either on your server or Amazon S3 (recommended for larger files like videos). Its not a drag a drop solution but as it works with standard Paypal buttons it doesn’t really need a stack.

Depending on your requirements you can also sell access to downloads using Sitelok and one of the payment plugins.

2 Likes

Thanks for pitching in Adrian. Would you be able to use this with Stripe? Or do you have plans to adapt it to work with Stripe?

I don’t have any immediate plans for a Stripe version of Linklok. Sitelok does have a Stripe plugin though.

1 Like

I also, please, I bought the cart 2 stack but I am missing the function to sell audio and digital files. In fact, I have not tried it yet.

Thanks @TINO - as mentioned above Cart 2 is best for physical products / services but Sitelok or something like Digi is perfect for digital file selling. That requires a delivery mechanism that is just not available in PayPal / Stripe so requires something that can provide that part such as those

Cartloom is another option too for selling digital files

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.