SILO Structure website design/layout

Does anyone here use a SILO structure website design? I’d love to see some examples.
thanks

Hi, Lisa,

I started doing this, without even knowing that it’s called SILO…

I have a family-portal kind of website. It consists of several sections, like FAMILY AFFAIRS, ALBUM (old historical photos), SNAPSHOTS (contemporary photos), DOCUMENTS and SAGAS & STORIES.

I separated each of those sections into a different RW project. I use a custom navigation between them.

It is a primitive system (for a SILO), but it’s a start, I guess. :wink:

P.S. I found this video explaining SILO pretty clearly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Snkv0eK5w

1 Like

Rob-
I’d love to see your sites, if I may. The way I was originally going to do it was different projects, but I’m now doing it all in one site. Are you doing sub domains? I’ll take a look at the video as well.
thanks, Lisa

This particular site is for members only. The only page for general public is the home page. I could send you a link through private messaging, if you still want. And no, I don’t use subdomains (so far), just separate folders at the root of the domain for each section (that’s why I use custom navigation).

1 Like

I’d love to see your structure, if you want to send me the link and maybe a screenshot of how you do separate folders? I’ve never done anything but one project. PM is fine.
Much appreciated :slight_smile:

If you do decide to use sub domains, make sure your SSL certificate supports multiple sub domains(Wildcard Certificate). If not you’ll get errors from the browser. Let’s encrypt just started offering these the first of the year, and a lot of hosts are still issuing the old certificates.

2 Likes

Started with sub domains and was talked out of it :slight_smile: Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

1 Like

Thanks, for heads-up, Doug… I’m sure I will have to make use of this information in near future.

1 Like

Yeah, simplicity is always my goal, also. However, it can be hard to achieve…:slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure. But I actually think this SILO thing is getting my brain to less pages and a cleaner site. But we’ll see :slight_smile:

1 Like

No doubt. Having the necessary discipline to follow a structure positively has to lead to simpler, cleaner results.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.