Sitemap indents

I’m using the built-in Sitemap page but noticed that it seems only to indent one level: after the top level menu items, all sub pages, sub-sub pages etc are all in one vertical column. Can I get it to indent for each hierarchical menu level?

You can do that with custom CSS on your sitemap page. Try this as a test to reset everything a bit:

#sitemap {
font-size: 1.4em;
line-height: 1.5em;
margin-left: 60px;
}

Using above example, you should be able to use the item and the alpha selectors to do what you want I think. Someone here probably can probably give you exact code. Selector on the alpha callout is a
<dt> and the items listed under the alpha letter are <dd>

Let me know if you need more info. (But perhaps this is not what you want. I forget what the original layout is.)

And don’t forget mobile… you probably don’t want more indent on smaller screens so that factors in too.

Thanks for this – yes I assumed CSS would be the way. I know nothing about CSS so any help is much appreciated. What you have given me is good but I still need a way to indent the child pages a little more to separate then from the respective parents…

A URL to your site would make it easier for folks to help.

Use this to get you going… Tweak as to your wishes. Don’t forget to check effect on mobile layout.
sitemap parms affect whole list - dt parms is the alpha callouts - dd is the item list

#sitemap {
font-size: 1.4em;
line-height: 1.5em;
margin-left: 6px;
}
#sitemap dt {
	padding-left: 20px;
	}
#sitemap dd {
	padding-left: 40px;
	}
1 Like

The URL is http://www.wilsons.school/information/sitemap/

Thanks for the detailed CSS. As far as I can see this hasn’t actually made any difference to the appearance of the page. Don’t know why as clearly it should. If you look at the page and see for example the top header ‘Curriculum’, it has a sub page ‘Departments’ which in turn has a load of departmental names, ‘Art’ being the one at the top, which in turn has three sub pages. They are all in a single vertical column at the moment which to me is confusing. What could make it worse is that on my site all parent pages are null as regards content, they are purely menu items – ideally I would be able to turn off linking to these pages on the sitemap.

wow… not enough coffee this morning… that css is for sitemap plus. Pardon my blunder.

1 Like

Try this for RW sitemap… it works here (at least in RW preview):
Adjust the padding as desired.

.rw-sitemap {
margin-left: 0px;
}

.rw-sitemap ul {
padding-left: 30px;
}
.rw-sitemap li {
padding-left: 60px;
}

1 Like

This should work as well:

.rw-sitemap>ul.tree>li li {
    padding-left: 20px!important;
}
1 Like

Strange that you mentioned SiteMap Plus. I was thinking of digging out my old copy which I had given up on when Loghound ceased supporting it. Now I see that it is current again and supported by Yourhead, so I grabbed the latest version, and lo and behold it does almost everything I want. I have used the css you provided to increase the font size and spacing slightly. Many thanks for your help!

Great. I was going to suggest Plus to you but wasn’t sure about the current support. Obviously YourHead support is second to none but I know they have other higher priorities. I still use SiteMap Plus on a limited basis. I think if you have very large site (I do) it really can slow things down in RW so just be aware of that. It’s also great in edit mode for checking page names, meta data, etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.