Social stacks using Twitter Widget defunct?

Hi all,

for my twitter feed, I’m using Lifestream from weaveraddons which is, as most of you know, not maintained anymore since 2 years but did a very good job for me, anyway. Today, I realized that it would not pull content anymore based upon the twitter widget. I thought Twitter might have applied a change that has put the outdated method to an end and tried it with TwitterFetcher from WeaverThemes. Here, the widget-method did not deliver results, either

• Somebody out there running into the same problem?
  • Somebody successfully using the PHP-Powered method?
  • Somebody still successfully using the widget-method and with which stack?

Thanks for your help!

Jürgen

Edit#1: TweeCool from Doobox works with just the Twitter-Name (cool) but does not scroll results. It also does not allow for changing font size.

You could always use the official Twitter widget. It’s just some code you can paste into Rapidweaver.

1 Like

I strongly suspect the Lifestream stack and other stacks might have been using older API’s for accessing and displaying tweets. Twitter has shut-down a lot of APIs in recent months, they’ve switched to SSL and killed-off many authorisation methods. The Twitter third-party addon market is virtually dead now. There seems to be a strong push towards promoted tweets and possibly advertising in the not-too-distant future.

As @robbeattie suggests, the official Twitter widget is probably the safest option you have left now:
https://twitter.com/settings/widgets

1 Like

Thanks a lot, gentlemen!
The final blow for Lifestream is a bummer (albeit it was to be expected). Was the best out there…
I just got feedback from @weaver (WeaverThemes) and he’ll release an updated version of Twitterfetcher today.
I will also give the “official” Twitter Widget snipped a shot and see how that behaves.
Thanks again and happy day!

I too had a problem with Twitter Fetcher stack not working over the last 24hrs. Contacted Weaver Themes and within 2 hours they issued an updated stack and all is now fine.
Excellent quick support!

1 Like

Same here, @Steve_F. He mailed me this morning (CET)