Stacks do not install RW 8.1.7 Mojave

Hi Chuck,

Expander built into OS X Mojave.

/jvs

Hi Paul,

Yes. I have tried to delete everything I can find.

Strange thing is that only stacksinstaller restores the file extension of the directories to .stacks.

FORGET STACKS INSTALLER !!
Isaiah, the inventor of Stacks has told you to trash it, why are you persisting with it?

Bin RW then go bin anything in the ~Libary folder called com.realmac.whatever
Then reinstall RW in the Applications folder.
Fire up RW ā€¦ Youā€™ll have to renter your RW licence no as it was stored in the prefs youā€™ve just trashed.

3 Likes

Iā€™m no expert, but Iā€™ll give you my ā‚¬ 0.02. In my opinion the Finder has a problem with associating the ā€˜stackā€™ extension, as has been said by @Isaiah and others.

That reminded me that others and I had a similar problem some time ago (in 2016) and I found the forum post in which I participated: RW Project Files saving as Folders - ElCapitan You might download and install the RCDefaultAPP (it still works) and have a look at the association of the ā€˜stackā€™ extension.

As you can see in the screenshots, it is associated with RW8 on my Mac, but it can easily be changed.

There might be other apps which can give you similar information, but this little PrefPane restored my sanity a few times, so Iā€™m happy it still works.

1 Like

i suspect this is just a language-translation/native-speaker type thing ā€“ but i just wanted to be clear: i definitely did NOT say that ā€œthe Finderā€ has a problem with the stack extension or any other extension either.

i did say and will now reiterate: all signs point to a problem with @notimeflatā€™s Finder.

in other words: i donā€™t think that this is a bug in anything. i suspect that @notimeflatā€™s macOS has decided to stop indexing apps ā€“ either due to an installed utility or perhaps just general chaos that happens to us all over time.

and i suspect this is exactly what @macmenno was trying to say ā€“ but like i said, i just wanted to make that clear.

iā€™ll also reiterate my suggestions for resolving a problem with the Finder since they seem to have been largely overlookedā€¦

Iā€™ll give you one last test you might try too: you could create a separate user on your system and see if that user has the same issue. A separate user will have a different set of file-associations for the Finder so, at least in theory, the issue could be resolved there.
That doesnā€™t really solve your issue however ā€“ unless you donā€™t mind switching to an entirely different user account (I sure would). But it will at least give you some indication whether the problem is user-specific or something larger.

Outside of that last test, I sincerely think that youā€™ve exhausted all possible avenues of assistance the forum has to offer. I suspect your quickest route to getting back to work is to visit an Apple store (or similar) or reinstall your OS.

Or, simply ignore this problem. As I said above (also overlooked, I guess) Stacks doesnā€™t care if they look like folders or have the nice little yellow icon that I drew a few years ago ā€“ as long as you put them in the right spot, theyā€™ll work just fine that way.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.