Unable to upload to FTP server

It’s a long time since I have to ask for help, but I have hit the wall!
The title says it all. I do not have the experience to know where the problem lies. Is it within RW, or with Cloudflare, who are my nameserver? I’m running RW 7.5.6
On attempting to publish (which included the weekly backup), after gathering the files and checksums, the screen declares:
Couldn’t upload to your FTP server
The info from line ! is: ‘Upload failed (at start/before it took off). URL: ftp://195.8.66.1
from lines 2 & 3 ‘Operation was aborted by an application callback.’
What is an application callback?
The URL is that of the hosting server Claranetsoho, which has checked, and able to access the site via FTP.
I have rebooted the router in case of a random block on ports 20/21.
But the situation remains.
Thank you

Do you usually/have you always uploaded web pages to an ftp server?

Most often web sites are hosted on a server whose directory is something like:

www.yourhost.com/public_html

or

www.yourhost.com/www

etc.

Hi Mark, It would seem that the answer is Yes. The Publishing Method in the Destination screen is FTP

Robert,

Yes, the publishing method (the protocol) used will always be (s)ftp. But the server should be a web server. I’d be surprised if your web server’s address were ftp://195.8.66.1

A few things you could try (I’d ask your host first to confirm):

• is your user name really that one with dots?
  • do they really ask you to use a raw IP address?
  • change the mode from the default
  • check the slashes before and after ‘public/www’

It may be just that one or more of those settings is wrong.

Did it work before? Or is this your first time?

I’d start by asking your host for what they expect the settings to be.

Mark, I started this website with the first iteration of RW 7, back in Aug '16. All has been well until last night, when the ‘fault’ occurred. I do believe that the host server address is, indeed, the URL shown. Nothing on that pane has been changed since the outset. The host agent accessed the site this afternoon, using those settings, and so I suspect RW (!)n , or the nameserver. The nameserver hides behind FAQs, on the other side of the pond, so is difficult to liase with…

In my first post I asked the question ‘What is an application callback?’ Is this the key to my problem? Why is RW calling back the upload?

An IP address can be an often is a valid ftp address, assuming it’s the correct address.
What happens if you hit the test button.
Are you able to publish to a local folder?
If so have you tried connecting and uploading with an external FTP client like transmit, forklift or FileZilla?

Might go through each step in this knowledge base post:

https://help.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver-troubleshooting/how-to-fix-ftp-publishing-issues

Thank you Doug.
Yes I can upload to a local folder. (The Test showed ‘Connection Test Successful’)
I’ll try FileZilla, which is the client that I used initially.
And I’m on my way through the knowledge base…

Robert,

…‘What is an application callback?’…

These threads may help:

I still think that checking with your host to find out exactly which settings their particular server(s) expect is your best bet… otherwise there may just be too many permutations.

Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious!
My sincere thanks to Doug and Mark for attempting to steer me along the learning curve.
The RW knowledge post was taken apart and digested… but the one thing that is not mentioned is that if you hit your webspace limit, then Couldn’t upload to your FTP server shouts at you, but doesn’t tell you why!
I’ve been as frustrated as ---- for over a week; even the host just says “We can get in.”.
Remedy is to download the RW log and read through it…
Thanks again Guys.

My sincere thanks to Doug and Mark for attempting to steer me along the learning curve.
The RW knowledge post was taken apart and digested… but the one thing that is not mentioned is that if you hit your webspace limit, then Couldn’t upload to your FTP server shouts at you, but doesn’t tell you why!
I’ve been as frustrated as ---- for over a week; even the host just says “We can get in.” .
Thanks again Guys.

I’ve been as frustrated as ---- for over a week; even the host just says “We can get in.” .

Thanks again Guys.

I had the very same problem and after hours or tracing back over what i had done, it turns out that i had left a space at the end of my folder name

e.g. Mental-Maths <—

After removing this, it seemed to solve my issue. Might be worth checking you haven’t done the same

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.