Upgraded to Sierra, appear to have lost EVERYTHING Rapidweaver 6.4

(Heather Allen) #1

I’m trying to stay really, really calm. Because if what appears to have happened has ACTUALLY happened, then I’ll have all day tomorrow to kick myself about it, and the next day to explain to everyone who’s ever entrusted me with their website just how the arse I managed to lose all their files.

So, yesterday, my Rapidweaver 6 websites were all there, all grand, Rapidweaver 6 sitting happily in my apps.

Upped to Sierra today. It took hours, and when it finally completed, everything was incredibly slow. However, more concerning was that I could only find Rapidweaver 4 from 2012 on my apps, and every single search for “Rapidweaver” anything on finder resulted in NOTHING.

Read up on how to revert back to last installed OSX, checked time machine to make sure that all the Rapidweaver files were there in the 8.23am backup this morning, followed instructions (ie: CMD R on restart), and waited three hours for it to reinstall.

To my horror, none of Rapidweaver files are there. Or on the iDrive cloud thing. Rapidweaver 4 is stil the only thing in apps.

Please would someone make this all better!!! Or if it’s gone for good, tell it to me straight!!!

Thanks ever so much. I’m off to bed now, but hoping to wake up with some rays of hope…

(Lisa Sandler) #2

Did you search for extensions? .rw6?

(Heather Allen) #3

Lisa, you marvellous person!!! Thank you for being there!! I am delighted to tell you that I have now, just this minute, FOUND IT ALL!!!

Thank you so much for your suggestion!!!

Blimey - that was the longest four hours.

Thank you again. Don’t even care that I feel really stupid!!!

(Lisa Sandler) #4

I know what it’s like to feel you’ve lost everything. I’m happy to help… though I am going to advise you to back up your drive in case this happens again :slight_smile:

(Mathew Mitchell) #5

Backups are always good. But there’s a great additional BU option folks often overlook. Zip compress your RW project file every few days/weeks. Upload the zip file to your server area in a relevant folder (e.g. mywarehouse). That way if the computer gets stolen, the hard drive fails, you still have a third option. Can’t have too many backups of key products you make.

(Heather Allen) #6

Thanks all! It really was all backed up on the external hard drive, but I just couldn’t find them as all the folders had been moved in the upgrade / reversion. Panic over though - although I don’t think the true reality of losing all those sites had taken a grip when I posted.

This has certainly been an eye opener in terms of backing up the back up plan, and I really appreciate the zip file suggestion.

Rapidweaver Community strikes gold again! can’t thank you enough!

(Greg Schneck) #7

Never let the app choose where to put files… Always know where your files are BEFORE things like this happen. I say: “Drive the bus. Don’t let the bus drive you.”

One suggeston: Make a “RapidWeaver Project Files” folder in your main user folder (along with Documents, etc) and put all your RW projects there. Then you will always know where they are.

I alway launch the project from the Finder (double click the project) so I can also check the timestamps, etc just as a sanity check. Don’t let RW open the project for you.

Suggestions only. Ignore if it does not apply…

(Lisa Sandler) #8

2nd post today where people don’t seem to understand the basics of RW sandwich files. The aliases in the recent project… I never use them but it’s amazing how many people think their files actually live there.

Not directed at you… @heatherallen but it happens a lot here :slight_smile:

(Paul Russam) #9

I’m seeing this scenario far too often, I was thinking of doing my presentation at this years WeaverSpace Conference about file/folder/project management.

Looks like it’s no longer “I was thinking“ and is now “I am doing”

(Heather Allen) #10

If this is helpful to anyone having a similar panic…

What had happened:

My Rapidweaver Projects folder was in my main user folder. That folder was set to be the one visible when opening a new Finder window.

Following changes to my operating system (up to Sierra, then back down again), my main user folder was no longer visible in the Finder window.

Using the search in Finder, there were no results for any files or documents including the term ‘Rapiweaver’ or Prelude, which is featured in most of my website file names.

In the Applications, only RW4 was showing- installed in 2012- rather than my later RW6.

If this happens to you, don’t panic. The files, folders and applications are all still there- you just need to find them.

I eventually found my user folder in the Mac Hard Drive folder, with all my files, including the Rapidweaver Project folder. They were only mocking me a little bit.

Whilst Rapidweaver 6 was not showing in Applications, when I opened a Rapidweaver .rw6 file, the warning about opening Applications downloaded from the internet came up, and then everything was fine again.

(Ben Balser) #11

In the Finder, go to the Finder menu, to Preferences, to Sidebar. There you can configure WHAT items show in the side bar. Then open a Finder window, and drag them up and down, into the order you prefer them in, to set HOW they show up.

As for RW6 simply not being visible, that should not happen. I’ve done lots of Mac OS updates for many, many years, and have never seen nor previously heard of an app simply not being visible. Now, if it isn’t showing up in a Spotlight search, it may be that Spotlight hasn’t finished re-indexing the drive after the OS upgrade. That can take a bit of time at first.

I teach post-production for broadcast and film mostly, and there are a series of regular maintenance steps I teach for everyone using their Mac to make a living with.
Daily:

• Have an automated backup in place. TimeMachine is a nice consumer level solution, but use something more robust and professional like Carbon Copy Cloner. Automate this to happen at night when you’re not using the Mac for work.
    Weekly:
  • Verify all drives have at least 15% of total capacity left as free space, the more free space the better. Less than that WILL cause issues, and the symptoms may not fit any textbook category.
  • Run Disk Utility’s First Aid on all drives.
    Monthly:
  • Run Disk Warrior to repair the directories on ALL drives. Single most common cause of drives seemly crashing and loosing all data are corrupted drive directories, not physical damage. If you run Disk Warrior, and it has a problem with a drive, REPLACE that drive ASAP!
    Upgrading:
  • A minor update isn’t much, but a major number upgrade can be a gamble. Always place a backup copy of the application you make a living with somewhere safe off of the system drive before running a major app upgrade. And backup all your project files and data. THEN upgrade the app. Worst case, you bring back the pre-upgrade version and lose only an hour or so of time.
  • When upgrading an OS, immediately do a manual FULL, BOOTABLE backup of your system drive. If you need to have explained to you why, then we need to sit down over a whiskey and educate you about how computers work.

I’m actually retired IT engineer and did media production on the side. about 20 years ago I dropped IT work and started doing media production full-time. I’ve done lots of consulting for broadcast and other media production outlets. I’ve seen a lot of scenarios where data gets lost, drives crash, systems blow up, or warp into another dimension of space and/or time. But doing the above maintenance procedures, I’ve had many, many, many clients and students (as well as my own studio’s Macs) run trouble free for years and years, even through OS upgrades.

Personal hint; when upgrading the OS, do it at the end of the day. Once done, do a cold boot, then let the computer set undisturbed overnight. Usually you can find performance back to normal (if not better). And be wary of upping the OS on an old computer (3-4 years or older), as older computers that don’t have the newer chip sets may not be as efficient with a newer OS.

(J Boudreau) #12

I clone, I Backup (get backup), and run timemachine. I even clone my clones and send the HD off to my sister inlaw…just in case, every month. I wanted to mention another backup step that I do. I use fork lift all the time for moving my files around and it has an option to sync folders. It is relatively easy to set up the syncing. I use sync to backup to my drobo and one to my offsite server. The offsite is over written every day and on the drobo the sync destination folder is changed every month. Not only do I capture my RW projects, but I also sync all of my RW support files.
I may get chastised about how many drives that I have active, but I will not loose more than one day of work, again!

(Greg Schneck) #13

Likewise… 1.) Time Machine. 2.) Weekly 7 day rotation of RW Project files to external drive. 3.) Carbon Copy bootable external pocket drive which leaves the house with me in case of fire or burglary. 4.) All files in Dropbox and accessible from anywhere and from any machine. (RW files copied nightly by CCC - I suggest you don’t run RW from Dropbox) 5.) ALL Web server files backed up to local external disk 2-3 times a week. This includes ALL files (htaccess, log files, php configs, etc)… not just RW files.

(Richard Widman) #14

Definitely do something like I have, a RW folder with two folders, one of projects and one of exported.
My only nightmare has been when I bought this new Macbook pro a couple of months ago and wanted a clean install. Finding all the relevant stacks and things and grabbing all the license information from the preferences was a lot of frustration.

From now on, everything I can buy from itunes I will, as that gives you an automatic program file backup of those items.

(Greg Schneck) #15

Every time buy software/add-ons etc I do two things. 1.) In Mail, email receipts and registration numbers are placed in a unique “Software” mailbox (folder). I need only look in this folder for dates of purchases, registration numbers, etc. 2.) I put the downloaded software file (zip file, disk image, etc) in a special folder (after it’s install). Again, this is the zip file or disk image that is downloaded, not the app itself after install. (That’s backed up in numerous places.) Thus, all my RW add-ons can be found in this folder and I can always re-install the exact same version, etc. I can look in this folder and see when I obtained any specific version (I keep old versions in case I have to go back to an older version.)

(Lisa Sandler) #16

I do exactly the same thing :slight_smile:

(Heather Allen) #17

Thanks to all for your really helpful and detailed responses to my initial panic-posted question! The Rapidweaver community is an amazing group of people, and I’ve always really appreciated the level of support as I’ve experienced. Thanks again to all. Now off to post a thrilling new question about Facebook pixel something or other…

Have a lovely day, all!

Heather

(J Boudreau) #18
 Invest in 1Password. It may be somewhat intimidating at start. It is not strictly for passwords. All of my serials are in there, all of my mail accounts, and I even include the invoices for all of my purchases. Once you understand the inner workings it becomes a goto app.  You know, like Rapidweaver.