What kind of stack should I use to create this gallery

My current (10 yr old) website is written with iWeb.
It has a GALLERY page that displays small icons of kitchens we have built.
Below each icon is a Kitchen ID Number.

We use this numbering system to help us and our customers navigate through decision making. When we are having a conversation on the telephone, for example, it is very efficient to point to Kitchen 13.

Each one of the icons is a link to additional (and bigger) pictures of the particular kitchen under consideration. When you get to each kitchen page the individual pictures are also numbered. I can, in an email, direct a customer to look at Kitchen 13 - Picture 5.

I would, if possible, also like to have the ability to attach a paragraph describing each picture when you get to the page that is specific to each kitchen.

There will probably be at least 50 kitchens in the gallery and each kitchen may have up to 10 photos on their respective pages.

Can anybody recommend a Stack or Add-On that could accomplish this?

Nick Cates Design seems to have a Add-On called “Photo” that seems to be exactly what I am looking for.
In the description video he says it was written for RapidWeaver 6 and Stacks 3.

Would this AddOn work with RapidWeaver 8?

Can you integrate an Add-On from a separate developer like Nick Cates with a Foundry Theme or an Foundation Theme?

Or would you need to keep all this under a Nick Cates paradigm theme?
(not sure really how outside gizmos work with various themes)

I sure it does.

There are also a few other gallery stacks that would do what you are looking for as far as displaying the photos.

I would think Gallery 3 from InStacks or ProGallery from Stacks4Stacks would both be contenders as well.

I understand you are trying to duplicate kind of what you have on a very old iWeb site, but I would think maybe something with more information other than just a picture and a number up front.

I haven’t seen the site you are updating but this would sound like something more like poster stack. You could have as many kitchens as you want(poster Items) and have as many pictures as you wanted as well as much detailed descriptions you would want. There would be no need to build 50+ different pages, just create a poster item for each kitchen.

2 Likes

As you can tell from all my bonehead questions I am still noodling my way through RW. (Thank you for your patience.)

I am guessing from your recommendation that I use “something with more information other than just a picture and a number up front.” that there is some benefit conferred from additional info. I definitely want all the ju-ju I can get out any data on my website but the first problem I have to solve is being able to communicate directly with customers about specific images. Navigation for this dialog needs to be at a top level so nobody has to wander around to find the image we are talking about.

I purchased a photo gallery called PHOTO from Nick Cates. The inspector gave me the option to automatically use the caption for ALT and TITLE tag. I am guessing this has something to do with SEO? I think it might also have something to do with handicap access to my site?

In any case PHOTO also gave me the option to use my own captions then create ALT and TITLE tags as a second step.

Why do I need ALT & TITLE tags? What benefit do they confer?

This is the dialog box that allows me to hand build ALT & TITLE tags:

The Alternative text attribute is used both accessibility and I’m addition used by non-human (eg:search engine robots) to determine what the image is.

From Moz

1. Adding alternative text to photos is first and foremost a principle of web accessibility. Visually impaired users using screen readers will be read an alt attribute to better understand an on-page image.
  2. Alt tags will be displayed in place of an image if an image file cannot be loaded.
  3. Alt tags provide better image context/descriptions to search engine crawlers, helping them to index an image properly.

It’s consider a require field in the HTML5 standards.

The title attribute is optional and the value of the title attribute will be displayed as a tooltip when you mouse over.

Thanks Doug,

That makes sense to me now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.