What would you like to see in RapidWeaver 7?

I don’t use styled text much but I do think that different headings (h1, h2, etc.) should be indicated in some way – highlighted in different colours, perhaps.

1 Like

Add more functionality to the Snippets area… (if this has not been mentioned before…)

As it currently sits in RW 6.3.7, it is often difficult to find the snippet you need from a given developer for a given theme or stack.

I would like to be able to add custom folders in the snippets navigator so I can group snippets by project, by stack, by theme or whatever other method I choose. Much like the folder structure in Stacks or in Manage Addons of RapidWeaver itself.

Thanks for your consideration
Brad

3 Likes

Very good idea. (Pity I have to add extra characters!)

Inbuilt HTTP / PHP server. I know will be difficult regarding sandboxing.
Must not be something fancy, just the OSX HTTP Phyton or PHP server.

1 Like

Come on, @Instacks, @mastermix, building all these things into RW would make it very cumbersome and would lead to endless ‘bug’ reports from the inexperienced which were unrelated to RW itself. There’s no need. Just suggest that users test using MAMP.

2 Likes

I have endless conversations with customers that using a simple HTTP server is to difficult…
An inbuilt server would make the preview experience much better.

Its more a stacks thing. I collapse stacks a lot for easy and convenience, but then have to sort through to find the one I want to edit. Would be cool if there was a possibility to name stacks, or in some way be able to identify them when collapsed.

1 Like

@Instack: installing and using MAMP is extremely easy, whereas building it into RW would be a nightmare, not least from a support point of view. If your customers cannot MAMP, they are surely going to struggle using a built-in server as well.

Good that it is easy for you. It is not for a lot of users.

I am not talking about integrating MAMP. Leveraging the OSX inbuilt PHP server would be fine for 80% of the use cases.

But even these 3 small steps are even too difficult for a lot of users: http://instacks.com/blog/?post=use-mac-osx-inbuilt-php-web-server

1 Like

Look up SmartPreview for Rapidweaver. I believe it provides the PHP/HTTP functions you’re asking for.

@mastermix I’m not suggesting that users aren’t smart enough to use databases, only that those who can’t install and use MAMP might also struggle with such technology built into RW. I don’t think there is any practical way to integrate database interactivity into RW, except using stacks such as Armadillo. The fundamental difference between RW and WordPress is that RW is Mac-based and WP is web-based. Perhaps RW could be rewritten as a web-based service but it wouldn’t really be RW any longer and it might put off the same people who can’t cope with MAMP or with WP.

1.0 - Manually ordering of stacks in Favourites and/or New Group (unless possible already and I’ve not found out how).
2.0 - Rename New Group displayed in icon bar (ditto)
3.0 - Built in CMS.
4.0 - Built in database. My ISP could provide MyS? but I’ve given up asking, also set up sounds rather complicated. Surely the RW structure could incorporate its own database for relatively straightforward data.

@mog1

Hi Michael

Issue 1 & 2 would be handled by @isaiah at YourHead Software as they are the maker of Stacks.

HTH
Brad

Noted, thank you
Michael

1 Like

As the feature set for RapidWeaver 7 is now pretty much fixed, and we’re “rapidly” approaching a private/limited beta release I’m closing this thread for now.

We’ll open up a similar thread after 7.0 has shipped.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it’s helped no end in shaping RapidWeaver 7 and making sure we ship something you guys will love :slightly_smiling:

Happy Weaving!

2 Likes