YourHead and Stacks 4

There is no information about serial number in the email from PayPal.

It’s frustrating that ISVs these days do not have any kind of phone system to contact.

21 years ago I started a software company that had its roots in shareware. The first thing we did was add a sales/support phone line for our customers.

1 Like

Per his Twitter account —

3 Likes

I understand that he can get sick, but when I check his Twitter account, I see that he has tweeted several times this week. He should rather prioritize answering his customers’ problems. This is poor customer service!

This has so far cost me almost a week of development.

1 Like

Can you not use S4 for development without a licence but not publish? I always thought that was how it worked. Maybe not.

I’m going to buy Foundry, but I’m not going to do that until I get the Stacks 4 serial number.

OK, but you can use S4 for development without a serial?

I don’t think you can do much with the trial version. It’s very limited from what I’ve been told.

The fact that the most popular, most powerful and most needed RW plugin is in the hands of one man is a huge disadvantage for Realmac.

If you’re in business and can’t provide at least email support when someone gets ill, sorry but you don’t deserve to be in business.

The number of RW developers simply disappearing for a weeks or for good is increasing. If I owned RapidWeaver, I wouldn’t allow a few dodgy (not implying Isaiah is dodgy) developers to give my product a bad name.

The excuses some of them come out with after suddenly reappearing are laughable. They normally reappear when they have new stack to sell, sad but true in a lot of cases.

1 Like

Not wanting the start a punch-up, but I do feel that some of the comments here are somewhat harsh. Many of the RW developers are individuals and not large companies so there is always the possibility of a single point of failure.

The beauty of the ‘cottage industry’ that has grown up around Rapidweaver is that development is often continuous and support significantly more personal that almost all of the bigger providers out there. This keeps costs down and products at the cutting edge.

Let’s keep things in perspective, I know we are all used to instant gratification and 24hr service, but we have to be realistic. This whole thread only spans 3 days!

Also, a larger organisation with a more significant support base is no guarantee of a better service or continued support of a product.

I used to design my websites using iWeb from Apple. No worries there I though - Oh, iWeb has been dropped! That’s how I discovered Rapidweaver :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s not meant to be harsh, but I’ve been waiting for a solution since Tuesday.

2 Likes

Maybe someone should tweet him that there are people waiting on serial numbers? By discreet direct message of course.

1 Like

I have now received the serial number from @isaiah :grinning: :muscle:

2 Likes

Hi folks,

First, I’d like to apologize for not getting back to folks in a timely way. I have no good excuse, I simply wasn’t well this past week. Being sick means I would have fallen behind a bit in a normal week – but I managed to make things much worse.

I made some seemingly tiny changes to our order system but failed to notice when serial numbers didn’t go out with orders as expected.

It has taken me a little bit to dig out from this mess. But I believe I’m nearing the bottom…

Everyone should have received a new email with a serial number by now and it should be properly integrated with the order system (so you can use our automated serial lookup if you need to in the future).

If you still haven’t received a serial number by the time you read this, please let me know and I should be able to get back to you today.

I still have yet to get anywhere near the bottom of the support inbox, especially to the more technical questions. But I think everyone should hear from me by the end of the day (Sunday, Jan 31).

Again, sorry for the chaos this week,
Isaiah

13 Likes

Sweet…I was about to buy stacks…this thread scared me a little, but now I am confident. If it takes a bit, that will be ok. Get well.

2 Likes

Please …
Isaiah is not comparable with some singular developer selling 3 or 4 stacks. He made the whole Stack thing for Rapidweaver possible and still is. I am on RW since version 3 and used Isaiahs plugins before he came up with Stacks - which was/is a game changer for the use of Rapidweaver. Admitting that he is a sole or what we in Germany call a solo entrepreneur and that only his wife together with him is supporting the business is not ideal for customers who are used to 24/7 in 5 minutes service/response - also think about time zones. BUT: Isaiah is absolutely committed to RW and his “child” Stacks, so please - let the steam out a little bit and don’t go clapping the wrong parties here. I had worse/no service from big software providers like Apple and Adobe just to name some who couldn’t solve problems weeks long.
Rant about some RW users who should know better over - sorry.
A thankful Stacks user for many many years.

11 Likes

@capetom Thank you Thomas. I appreciate it.

:pray:

Yes, we are a very small company. And this does make us a bit quirkier for sure – and sometimes we do make real mistakes.

On the other hand…

Our community of pros, hobbyists, and forum enthusiasts are, in many ways, something that’s larger than the sum of the parts.

The pros look out for each other, help each other bug-hunt, and test new software. Adam posted my “not feeling well” tweet last Friday. And Joe texted me Sunday morning about this thread.

And even the hobbyists show up. They’re always helping beta test our new versions (universal Stacks beta coming this week – woo hoo!), and we’ve all helped answer questions here on the forum.

Not many one-man software products survive a decade – and I like to think that Stacks is NOT an exception. Stacks turned 13 this year, because it really is a team effort.

Thanks again for everyone who helped out on this thread when I was having a rough week.

Isaiah

P.S. Sorry for getting all sappy. I really do mean this stuff, though. It’s not just marketing spin or fake sentimentalism. I couldn’t do it without all of you.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled web development geeky fun… who’s ready to help me test out a native Apple Silicon build of Stacks?

11 Likes

Isaiah,

What you do is amazing. RapidWeaver would be nothing without Stacks and the incredible selection of custom stacks that depend on your product. I use Foundry as my framework but also use a variety of stacks from other developers. You have created a sophisticated ecosystem and we are very grateful for it. Hope you are soon back to health and creating more great features. Say hi to your wife for me. She gave me some background on your trip to the Nimitz Museum and, given her recommendation, it is now on my travel list. We really are a community. All the best.

Gregg

5 Likes

Isaiah,
What is really nice about you is the fact you quickly came forth with a plausible reason and most importantly an apology. Humility is a great possession.
This is somewhat!! different to some of the arrogant developers out there who are really just full of themselves.
All the best Isaiah.
Paul Cruice
Oh by the way the OT Isaiah was a great prophet.

1 Like

A Global developers support system needs to be incorporated between Realmac, Yourhead, stack devs. All those entities should form a legal and supported agreement/system whereby all parts of this amazing community can stay active if something unfortunate happens to one. Maybe there is something already, but this conversation leads me to believe there is not. In the last few years at least on dev passed. What’s next? Global pandemic on a larger scale? I would like to see RW scalable on a more cooperative purposeful level to grow into a solid unsinkable ecosystem.