What would you like to see in RapidWeaver 7?

Ah, I assumed that was Rapidweaver specific only! Thanks Nik!

@Jody would being able to open the “Preview” in a separate window help? Or were you after true WYSIWYG, just like iWeb used to do?

Unless I’m missing something, a way to have a tidier workflow would be great.

For example I’m working on a project right now which as 40+ pages which are all heading to the same folder upon export for example:
…path/portimg

If I try to nest these together (so only have one page visible with the rest ‘inside’ it and out of the way) I then get the breadcrumb of:

…path/portimg/portimg

after I export, which as I am currently doing a fair amount of HTML this is messing up my links! I know I can use the RW add a link to a page section, but for this and several other projects its just not practical.

So currently having to scroll down 40+ pages to get to the one I’m currently editing.

Like I say, there is a fair chance that I have missed a basic way to solve this at some point, but if not, this would be a useful facility!

A separate Preview window could be problematic for those on laptops or smaller screens. The ideal is for true WYSIWYG of course, however if that’s the ONLY way to see changes in real time, then bring it on!! Sure wish it weren’t so kludgy to implement though, what a joy to see real time changes in a clean, simple layout.

I could almost see this like a separate app, something like Marked 2, where you save your work, and as long as the other app is pointed at that project file, it updates the screen. RapidWeaver Viewer or something similar

Ability to select multiple pages form the page list?

I think it would be extremely beneficial to have an input in the style options for a banner image. Drag/drop your banner image and it populates the theme’s banner area - if the theme has one. Kind of like the site logo, but on each page.

3 Likes

Re: Managing Pjts Across Multiple Machines: Please keep in mind that there has been major problems w/ pjt file bloat in the past, which caused all kinds of problems. So simply bundling resources (namely images) inside the pjt file isn’t recommended.

Maybe an optional command that copies all referenced files & their parent folder structure into a main folder which could then be shared along w/ the pjt file.

I’ve just begun to use Theme Styles extensively… working on two machines.

As long as I:

1 - know where the file is: ~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6/Data/Library/Application
Support/RapidWeaver/Theme Styles, and

2 - bear in mind that this is probably going to be needed (only/chiefly) for the initial building phase,

I’m OK. But it’s be nice to be able to synch reliably and indefinitely :slight_smile: .

Another vote for being able to work from multiple computers on one project.

I know it’s been said before that Rapidweaver is not a good solution for producing newsletters. I think it would be terrific if it could become one, even if it involved a plugin of some sort. Some kind of solution that would allow us to build a web page with stacks and then export usable responsive newsletters.

3 Likes

The one thing? Than it is RW in the cloud.
Cheers, Jannis

Faster reaction times of Rapidweaver. For bigger projects it is very slow.

One more vote for sync between 2 MacBooks, but please no full cloud solution. (Because Photoshop moved to the cloud I still use Photoshop CS6 and will switch in the near future full to Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.) I think there are a lot of people thinking like this.

2 Likes

Just another thought. I’d like to see the project format remain the same so if there are problems with RW7 any work can just be opened and edited on RW6.

I have to agree with @ashleykaryl on this one. I would love to send out eBlasts and export “Sendy” ready pages!

The functionality should be Stacks friendly.

A powerful CMS. With this you could be the next WordPress :wink:

2 Likes

For the sake of suggestion:

• Collapsable Inspector Options (To prevent clutter).
  • More than one submission for the iFrame Plugin.
  • When you enter a particular Blog article, the sub-navigation disappears (I noticed this since v5). It would be helpful on the long run to incorporate this.

Something that I always get showing up on my google page insights are these issues:

• Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
• Optimize CSS delivery of xyz
• Minify javascript

I enable optimize CSS and use master template throughout but if any of those insight issues can be reduced in the next version of RW that would be wonderful. I guess they maybe theme related, or themes behaving as they do because of RW.

Thank you

@timtempest I would agree with the intention of those points but with certain reservations, since changes coming with http 2 in the near future will actually make many of today’s best practices counterproductive in a year or two from now. It’s also true that some things like minified javascript can often break certain stacks. Http 2 should make our sites faster with a lot less messing around.

Having looked at this in some detail I’ve come to the conclusion that Google Page Speed is not always a good advisor. Foundation saw a serious boost in speed a while back that was backed up by various speed tests, yet Google Page Speed actually gave me lower score.

Yup agreed. And just because I listed them doesn’t imply that I know what they are.

I spent a while stripping away all the unwanted images and bells and whistles from the Home page of my website. The loading speeds from Pingdom were great. Somethings Google Page speed didn’t seem to like at all. I think what I am asking is that people with more knowledge about these things than me can optimize the themes / RW to load as best they can. The goal posts do continually shift. When I started with RW a responsive website wasn’t high on anyones list of features, as one example, but is essential now as Google has decreed it must be so lol.

Tim