2 websites under the same domain, is it bad practice?

I have an odd question and I’m hoping that someone can advise.

My client has a website eg. www.domain.com for the sake of this post.

Recently they wanted a new page to be added to the site but they wanted it as a standalone page within the site, so although the url to that page would be www.domain.com/hallwelcome they didn’t want any of the parent navigation on this page, but they want it to have it’s own navigation i.e. www.domain.com/hallcorporate and www.domain.com/hallcelebrations. So it’s like a mini site within the main site.

But now they want more pages and I’m thinking that really this ought to be on it’s own domain as it’s basically a different site.

What do you guys think?
Is it weird to have 2 separate sites performing under one domain name?
Will SEO be improved if I make 2 sites rather than 1?
Are there any considerations I need to think about before continuing with 2 in 1?
Drawback?

Any feedback gratefully received.

Why not use subdomains?

Corporate.domain.com

2 Likes

As @swilliam says, do it as a subdomain so that you have www.domain.com for the main stuff and www.hallwelcome.domain.com for the secondary service/product.
One of my clients has the domain www.dma-ni.com for their architectural practice and www.hometurf.dma-ni.com for a service they provide to a specific market.
You create the subdomain in the site’s cPanel and then everything in it is a completely separate site.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ve not used subdomains in this way before so it’s a bit new for me. Not sure if I’ve got the wherewithall to pull this off.

1. So the main domain wouldn’t change at all and wouldn’t be affected in any way, Seo wise or visually or otherwise?

2. In terms of designing it it means that I can design the sub domain in a separate Rapidweaver project rather than attempting 2 completely different websites in one project file?

3. On the main site if they then click the tab which would take them to the sub site do I use an offsite page for that navigation link?

4. Presumably the costs for hosting a new site and domain would be similar to setting up a sub domain and domain if you are using a third party hoster?

Thanks in advance for all the continued help :slight_smile:

[quote=“Gabrielle, post:5, topic:14940”]

1. So the main domain wouldn’t change at all and wouldn’t be affected in any way, Seo wise or visually or otherwise?
    [/quote]Correct on all counts.

2. In terms of designing it it means that I can design the sub domain in a separate Rapidweaver project rather than attempting 2 completely different websites in one project file?
[/quote]Yes, it is just like starting with a ‘new’ domain, use a new RW project,

3.On the main site if they then click the tab which would take them to the sub site do I use an offsite page for that navigation link?
[/quote] It would depend by what you mean by ‘click the tab’, but you would link to your subdomain in the same way that you would link to an other external site.

Presumably the costs for hosting a new site and domain would be similar to setting up a sub domain and domain if you are using a third party hoster?
[/quote] The sub domain should be free, you just make it from your host’s CP panel, it uses the existing domain you already have - if you are using someone like Chillidog or Little Oak it is very straightforward to do, you just need to make sure you get the upload path right in RW settings.

Hope this helps.

regards

Mark

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a good idea. Like others have mentioned, a subdomain will be better.

Thanks so much for all the info :slight_smile: Is there any benefit SEO wise to having a sub domain as opposed to a separate new domain? Or is there pretty much no impact one way or the other?