Backsnap access denied warning

I’ve had backsnap on my page working fine for over a year. When I received one of those spammy voodoo posts (I see them everywhere so I assume you know what I’m talking about). When I tried to login from the admin tab it kept saying access was denied. I double checked mySQL info and it appeared to be correct. I tried to change the passwords in the plugin and in mySQL and reupload all files. Then I began getting this warning.

Here is the warning I am getting (it can be seen on the bottom of the page at http://www.healingafteraffairs-bloomington.info/infidelity/trauma-of-infidelity.html ).

Warning: mysqli::mysqli(): (28000/1045): Access denied for user ‘dbo497918075’@‘74.208.16.189’ (using password: YES) in /homepages/9/d460979299/htdocs/BAN/healingafteraffairs-bloomington.info/infidelity/files/backsnap/lib/backsnap.php on line 67
Error: BackSnap was unable to connect to the MySQL database “db497918075” on the host located at “db497918075.db.1and1.com” using the username and password provided. Please make sure all the MySQL credentials entered are valid.

What I’ve tried.

1. Setting up a new database and uploading all files.
  2. Reverting back to old database after deleting all backsnap files from the server and re-uploading all files.
  3. checked versions
    -MySQL5.1 (new database version was MySQL 5.5 which also did not work)
    -PHP 5.4 (also tried version 5.5 to see if that would work. It did not so I reverted to what was previously working)
  4. Uploaded the following script to the server in a php file to activate the database (yes, I did include the password not shown here)
    mysqli.php
<?php $host_name = "db497918075.db.1and1.com"; $database = "db497918075"; $user_name = "dbo497918075"; $password = ""; $connect = mysqli_connect($host_name, $user_name, $password, $database); if (mysqli_connect_errno()) { echo "Failed to connect to MySQL: " . mysqli_connect_error(); } ?>
  1. Checked for any available updates to backsnap (there were none).

I am not versed in code or database knowledge (thus why I use rapid weaver) I am at a loss as what to do next. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here is other information I think may be pertinent to the issue via my hosting company.
-Copy and paste the following code to your PHP script to set up the database connection.
-For your security, we are not showing the password.
-Please always connect to the database through your website. The direct access to the database via your local PC (external ODBC connection) is not possible.
-Please note that PHP 5.5 and later versions do not support MySQL. Please use the MySQLi code instead.