Best CMS system?

Hi Barrie,
That’s exactly why I made a FREE CMS! It’s very easy to set up and does what I need.

1 Like

There are lots of ways to go CMS.

Don’t need or want support? - Roll your own there are literally hundreds of open source CMS systems out there.

Need support? - There are quite a few that are designed to work with RW (see above).
Choose the one that has the features you need and the price most suited to your project.
I tend to use TotalCms the most, but I also have EasyCms and Armadillo.
I haven’t tried Pulse as of yet but would have no issues with the cost if it fit my needs. Especially knowing the level of support available from that group.(@yuzool, @instacks)

2 Likes

I have Armadillo, which handles my modest needs, but I’m just curious as to what you get at that price? I’m not suggesting that it’s not worth it - I just genuinely want to understand what need that would fulfil that Armadillo/Total CMS/Easy CMS wouldn’t?

First of all, Pulse is self-contained. You don’t need any additional software to build websites. Of course, it contains also a blog, and you are able to use either the inbuilt page editor, or the upcoming page builder for building your pages. You don’t need a database for it, and are able to build as many sites as you want.

In addition to that, a BlocsApp integration, and of course RapidWeaver integration exists for even more theme support and choice of tools.

4 Likes

Thanks Jannis. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t see any advantages of these commercial CMS stacks over what I can do using simple include calls - but hey, it’s your money! :wink:

1 Like

I bought Armadillo before your freebie arrived mate, but I’m all for saving a few quid :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I really like Armadillo and have been using it for years. It seems to be incredibly robust. Total CMS sounds very good but I can’t afford to pay per site, even if I wanted to abandon Armadillo.

1 Like

Thanks for coming on board @scottjf and share with us the awesome Pulse sites you make

And that’s completely fine @bobafifi - Pulse is sold on value and if you don’t get value out of what it offers like what @instacks said:

Pulse is self-contained. You don’t need any additional software to build websites. Of course, it contains also a blog, and you are able to use either the inbuilt page editor, or the upcoming page builder for building your pages. You don’t need a database for it, and are able to build as many sites as you want.

Then that’s fine and it’s not for you and a free duck taped solution as you mentioned will fit your needs.

There are many options and each person has different requirements so it’s probably best to let people decide for themselves by presenting all the options and helping them look at it from their project needs

3 Likes

A little bird told me early next week @SteveB :wink:

And the new Stacks and Pulse5 work beautifully with Foundry. We even have a demo ready showing those two together.

1 Like

@SteveB And we’re live :slight_smile: :

1 Like

From comments made it suggests that usdrs can add pages using Pulse CMS. Is this this definitely true if using rapidweaver? What are the constraints, not seeing much about this on the Pulse website and it sounds v interesting if this is the case…?

We have a project where we would like client to be able to add new pages within menu tabs but using a predefined page template that they can edit etc. Can this be done with using Rapidweaver to design the site and template and then deploying with Pulse?

If you have done this please do let me know.

George

@yuzool - using Pulse - can a user create and add pages to the main top navigation? And/or choose whether it’s a top tier or sub page for said navigation? That would be a buy for me! Thanks

1 Like

@j303 Justin, this you can do I side a plain pulse installation already.

Inside RapidWeaver integration, we will support that also in a future upgrade. Working already in a prototype :+1:

1 Like

Right so in RW this is not possible (yet)… Okay looking forward to it - thanks!

2 Likes

I think you would have a winner if you could do this.

2 Likes

As far as I know, none of the commercial CMS stacks can. It’s a big misconception that buying one of these stacks will suddenly transform RapidWeaver into a true CMS like WordPress, Drupal, Concrete 5 et al. They don’t. What they allow (through the use of short codes and .htaccess rewrites) is to make it possible to edit regions on existing RapidWeaver pages.

Once I realized that what all these commercial CMS stacks were functionally doing was the same thing that could already be done for free just using simple includes (<?php require ‘…/includes/example.php’ ; ?> ) the novelty quickly wore off.

Total CMS is so much more than a simple include. Especially with things like Galleries, Feeds and Blogs.

However, you are somewhat correct and its how Total CMS got its origins. But that was 3 years ago. It exited that simple solution very quickly.

Hi Joe,
Using WordPress’ MySQL as the back end and GUI as the front end with simple include calls in RapidWeaver, I’m able to do galleries etc. no problem.

Yes. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I simply felt that you were overgeneralizing just a tad. Its great that you know how to do this. However, 99.9% of users have no clue what you are talking about.

I hate Wordpress with a passion. Its bloated, slow and a maintenance nightmare IMHO. I totally get that not everyone feels the same as I do.

MySQL is also hard for the average user. This is why Total CMS does not use it.