Blog not visible

I’ve recently updated to RapidWeaver 8.3 (20799). My blog page (https://www.virtuallyislamic.com/blog/blog.php) is no longer visible when I publish it. I didn’t make any other substantive changes to the blog. It also required complete uploading of all files with the installation of the updated 8.3. after the first attempt at publishing something after the update. The message “Gone: The requested resource is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.” is the only thing visible. Other pages on the website publish normally. Help would be appreciated.

Update: my hosting company states in a related enquiry: "The 410 Gone error usually relates to the files/folders are missing. However we can see it on the server here. However it can also mean that the web files cannot find the path to get to the blog.

“I would suggest debugging your website files/code to ensure that it is not calling a broken link or an old link which is preventing it from being shown.”

Any advice on how I could to that would be appreciated.

Hey,

Hmm, I’m not sure what’s going on here, I’ve not seen this issue before.

Couple of quick questions to get us started:

1. Does it work locally?
  2. Have you tried deleting your site from your web server (via FTP), and re-uploading the site?

You can re-publish all files from the “File” menu.

Cheers
Dan

I’v read other’s who said they made no changes but find the publishing setup HAS changed without their knowledge so, double check :wink:

Thanks, Chuck. Yes, it seems very strange to change without any input from myself.

I’ve just deleted the site and re-uploaded it as per your advice. Unfortunately, the situation remains the same. No blog visible - same error message. However, the files are definitely on the server.

Do you have any further possible solutions to this problem, @dan? I’m having to post my blogs on another service now.

You never answered the question. Does it work locally?

Yes. I can see it in full locally, and it is there on the server too.

I don’t have a lot of experience with the Built-in blog plug-in.
Looking at your URL it’s returning a status code 410 (gone). Although PHP is capable of returning a status code (http header), I don’t thing the built-in blog would ever do that. A 410 status isn’t very common.

Do you have anything else like an htaccess file or cPanel redirects going on?

What does the host company say?

From 410 Gone - HTTP | MDN

The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 410 Gone client error response code indicates that access to the target resource is no longer available at the origin server and that this condition is likely to be permanent.

In addition to what Doug posted, I would look at your php error log file. It may give you a clue to what’s going on.

Since it is working in RW but not when published, it’s more likely to be an issue with your host.

Thanks @teefers and @DLH for your advice. I am passing it through to the hosting company to see what they have to say. I’ll let you know any response.

This is the information I received from the hosting company. Any help would be appreciated.

The 410 Gone error usually relates to the files/folders are missing. However we can see it on the server here. However it can also mean that the web files cannot find the path to get to the blog.

I would suggest debugging your website files/code to ensure that it is not calling a broken link or an old link which is preventing it from being shown.

You may need to get a developer to look over your site if you are not to technical, we only provide the hosting for the site, we cant offer this type of service unfortunately.

What I have done in the interim is copied the original blog site onto a new page within the site https://www.virtuallyislamic.com/blog-2/ This has effectively copied the posts, but the multiple Categories and Tags did not copy over (which is very frustrating). In fact, some unusual Categories have emerged on the panel (but have not published). This might suggest a Categories issue.

I have kept the original blog in an archive (still coming up as a 410), in the hope that the tags can be restored in due course. I hope that RapidWeaver can provide a solution to this, so the blog can go back to normal.

Don’t know who the hosting company is but this reply is totally bull. A missing file or folder should never issue a 410 Gone. That’s what a 404 is for.

The 410 gone tells search engines and indexes to remove all links to this URL. The 410 like the 301 are permanent, meaning they have no expiry date so they can be cached forever.

That would mean any SEO juice you might have for the blog is probably gone.

From RFC7231 HTTP/1.1 Semantics and Content specifications:

The 410 (Gone) status code indicates that access to the target
resource is no longer available at the origin server and that this
condition is likely to be permanent. If the origin server does not
know, or has no facility to determine, whether or not the condition
is permanent, the status code 404 (Not Found) ought to be used
instead.

The 410 response is primarily intended to assist the task of web
maintenance by notifying the recipient that the resource is
intentionally unavailable and that the server owners desire that
remote links to that resource be removed.

No web hosting company should be issuing a 410 for a not found condition.
Now I’m not saying that something else in your setup is issuing the 410, PHP has the ability to do this as well as anything that can change the http responses like htaccess or cPannel stuff.

What I am saying is the answer they gave is bull, and they should be able to help you out better than that.

Thank you so much for the response @teefers, I really appreciate it. I must admit I feel somewhat left in the lurch with this, as my focus is on content rather than code. I will be changing my web hosting company as soon as the current contract ends. I will also pass the feedback across to the company. Thanks again.

Did you have a look at the logs?

If you have them you might post here.

Also, what version of PHP is running on the server?

Thanks. It looks like the PHP version is 5.6.40

I’m not sure where to find the PHP error log file?

First thing your PHP version is out of date. PHP 5.x has been out of support for some time now. 7.x is minimum.

Log files vary from hosting company. There should be something on their knowledge base or help area.

Who’s the hosting company? Someone might have experience with them.

Thanks, @teefers - I updated the PHP to 7.1. I haven’t had the opportunity to create a log. At present, the situation is worse, in that 90% of my contest is not visible. I published a small update to a blog this morning, and the whole thing disappeared. I don’t have the time to look into it in depth at present or to find out how to generate a PHP file. I intend to drop RapidWeaver and my hosting company names.co.uk, and migrate to something more user-friendly. The RapidWeaver updates have clearly had an impact on my site, given that these issues were not there beforehand. Again, thanks for your time and assistance.