Blog republishing all files - why?

(Chris Loneragan) #1

Every time I add post to my Rapidwever blog it republishes every blog file - that’s currently 1,680 of them! Any idea why?

(Greg Schneck) #2

Hasn’t it always done this? (if you don’t use the dynamic php option?) - Are you using categories and archives which are displayed on every page, thus each page must be uploaded due to new archive entry…

(Chris Loneragan) #3

No it hasn’t always done it and yes I am using the dynamic php option. It started doing it after the last update.

(Phil Dignum) #4

I contacted Realmac about this problem and I received the below response:

"It’s not a bug, but we’re looking at ways to change that action. Right now, when you add a blog, it does change every blog page’s sidebar information (dates/tags/categories/etc.) so that’s what’s going on.

Like I said, we’re looking to fix that in a future update."

(Greg Schneck) #5

Do you publish from RW or do you publish (export) to local folder? I had 800 pages in my blog (since converted to Stacks pages) and I always exported and then uploaded with ftp app. It’s much faster. But I suspect you may already know that…

(Chris Loneragan) #6

Thanks Greg. I knew that but have never done it, I always just publish directly. My issue isn’t so much the inconvenience, but more the use of data, as I have to access the internet via a mobile 4G connection due to our wired broadband running at about 1.5MB! Republishing all those pages for every blog post eats into my data allowance.

(Greg Schneck) #7

Understood. I assume you do archives and categories and that’s why all pages need updated (or a working php include)? If your sidebar stays the same (no archives or categories) you can just ftp up the index page and the new “whole” page. I was just running an ad rotator script in the sidebar which I did with my own php include. Thus, only the index page and new single page needed to be uploaded (with ftp). edit - And also: rw_common folder

(Chris Loneragan) #8

That makes sense. I don’t use the sidebar at all as it looks poor on my blog so that would work.

(Brian LaPan) #9

Just making sure you all have this set:

(Chris Loneragan) #10

Yes Dynamic PHP sidebar is enabled. It has only started doing this after the 7.1.7 update…