Cannot update rapid weaver 7

RapidWeaver can’t be updated when it’s running from a read-only volume like a disk image or an optical drive. Move RapidWeaver to your Applications folder, relaunch it from there, and try again.
This is the result of a direct install from Realmac

Hi Clive,
So, it seems that works as designed :wink: Why should it be possible to update an application, which lives on a read only volume? During update, the application files have to be updated. That will work only on a writeable volume.

2 Likes

Pure logic could tell you that you can not update anything on a volume that is read-only…

1 Like

…This has been installed directly on the iMac. I don’t know why it thinks its on a read only volume. I haven’t had any issues with any other software.

Are you updating through the app? If so do a direct download…

I did a download from the website and it downloaded a zip file which the Mac threw in the trash bin. I thought that rather unusual. However, I forced a install from it which didn’t install as a app so wasn’t put in launchpad. It runs from a link in downloads as if its running on the fly live…

You should be able to drag the RW icon into the Applications folder, no?

Yes I can buy the read only message doesn’t go away.
How did you get your install link?

I haven’t purchased the package yet, so perhaps it is only read only in “use demo” mode?
Didn’t want to buy it if it didn’t do what I wanted…

You could try downloading the latest version from here, and re-installing. I’m not sure if that will help as I’ve never had any issues installing or updating.

1 Like

Neil… could it be that the updates don’t work when using demo mode.
I presume you have a fully activated package. How do you find it and is it worth the money?

For me it was well worth the money. I use RapidWeaver every day to build sites for myself and clients. I have spent a considerable amount of money on stacks, frameworks and plugins since initially buying RW, but you don’t need to spend more money if you’re just looking to build a simple site for yourself.

As with any software, there’s a learning curve, but Realmac have made some great tutorials for beginners.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy RW, but again, it depends what you’re hoping to achieve with it. And whether you’re prepared to spend a bit more on stacks and plugins to extend RW’s capabilities.

Thanks… thats really good to know.
I’m convinced.

Just 1 thing though, did your download come to you as a zip file or dmg?

It was a zip file, which I saved to my desktop. I didn’t have any installation issues as far as I can remember.

Have sorted it. By default everything was being sent by default to iCloudDrive which makes it a read only install. Thank you for all your support.
cheers

1 Like