Can't publish after 6.3.5 update

@Zeebe… I have no issue with Realmac’s performance on this, or with your commentary / views. Having waited all morning, for a response to my email, I wanted to raise the issue so that others may be alerted at least to save their existing version of the app before updating.

I can’t shake your hand to “put this one to bed” so I shall have to do so metaphorically :smile:

Yes I have used the betas and yes I have provided info etc. Your blanket statement of it being the user base fault is what I have an issue with. Most people, I suspect, buy and use RW to make websites. They don’t, and shouldn’t, expect to have to take part in betas to fix critical, long standing issues with the software. The FTP upload is a critical part of RW, not just some fancy new addition that requires testing.

I had never seen this box :wink: I update only via releasenotes of Realmac.

You know the option (when problems) to resize the concurrent uploads from fastest to slowest?

Yep. My problem though, @Oscar, as I said in my first post, is that it fails to even initialize so I’m guessing that the connection itself is failing before publication actually starts. I have tried on the slowest setting and it makes no difference.

Sounds good Tim, never had an issue with this thread until a remark, which rubbed me wrong. Since it started happening and this seems to happen before the publishing starts, I do have to ask, are all plugins up to date? Could be something that an old plugin might have been ok with on 6.3.4 but now with some new code in 6.3.5 could be causing this issue.

Remember, checking for updates in RapidWeaver 6 I believe only checks for the app and not plugins.

@Zeebe. I admit, I had not checked plugin / stacks updates but have now and pleased to say that all mine are up-to-date and so were before the 6.3.5 update.

Good to know, hopefully Realmac will figure this one out fast. Good luck!

Has Realmac acknowledged this issue and is there a place where they set expectations regarding ‘emergency’ fixes? We are also stuck. Alternative that worked was to export site to local file and then upload site from server-based upload tool into cleared directory on server. BTW - it’s time for some automated toolsets that include scripts that cover testing of all the logic streams - at least for technical errors - prior to releasing any new code (beta or general release)… from a long-term RW user / fan (but we support our business with RW and these sorts of breakdowns are very painful from a time management perspective)…

I’ve not personally had anything on the matter from Realmac.

If you can revert to 6.3.4, you may find you can publish again. It worked for me and it’d be less time consuming than your own solution.

Hi Oscar… I reverted back to 6.3.4, but upload problem persists… Do I need to clear any files before reverting?

Hi Tim,
… I reverted back to 6.3.4, but upload problem persists… Do I need to clear any files before reverting?

This to me tells me it is not the update then, at least for @hcluks or it would work for him like it does for @TimLawson

Wish I had any idea for you @hcluks, but I don’t. Good luck and hopefully Realmac will address this for you guys soon.

I didn’t. I updated to 6.3.5, tried to publish, couldn’t, reverted to 6.3.4 and all was immediately well. Sorry to hear it wasn’t so simple for you.

Tried again… worked this time… thank you!

After update, its back to trying to republishing all files like 3.3.3. Took RW about a week to figure that one out last time.

We’re obviously looking into this. One user was able to publish by deleting his publishing settings, quitting Rapidweaver, restarting the computer and then adding his publishing settings back in upon starting up again. Give that a go and let us know if that helped.

@LaPan… I’ve undertaken the experiment you describe and sadly have to report that it didn’t work for me. I tried to test the connection having re-entered the publishing settings and the test failed. I also tried to publish and got the same “Failed initialisation” message as previously described. I quit 6.3.5 and again reverted to 6.3.4 - the test and publishing both succeeded as expected.

I also did the experiment. The first time I did the automatic update I was not able to connect to my server with SFTP. Then I did a downgrade to 6.3.4 and I could connect and upload to my server again. Then I did the experiment as suggested but same problem. Now I’m back on 6.3.4. And I’m working as normal.
So the only solution for this moment is STAY at 6.3.4.

Well for me, I am happy so far, that the 6.3.5 update has sorted out my previous publishing problems. With 6.3.4 I used to get to the penultimate file in a whole batch of files only for publishing to fail. Either that or publishing wouldn’t start in the first place so I spent loads of time trying to publish the whole site or individual pages before I would get a successful result.

So far, things seem a lot more stable with 6.3.5 - I’m using the slowest number of connections in publishing preferences.

I experienced the FTP error immediately after upgrading to the 6.3.5 on both of my websites earlier today.

With no guaranteed solution on the board, I have reverted back to 6.3.4 via my Time Capsule back-up and the problem has disappeared.

Interested to see the end result before upgrading again.