DON'T UPDATE [If you can afford it]

Hi @Rubin, I do support for Joe, and have NOT seen a ticket about Cycler and @import page. Are you importing Cycler into a page or having issues with cycler when you import content to a page with it? What version of the Cycler stack do you have?

3 Likes

Donā€™t wish to sound rude Rubin but if youā€™re starting threads on here stating ā€œDONā€™T UPDATEā€ in the title and havenā€™t actually contacted the developer(s) regarding whatever issue(s) you are having then it comes across as attention seeking.

I find it astonishing that you expect everything to work seamlessly when you havenā€™t updated for more than 5 years.

3 Likes

I had this happen as well but I think it was die to the theme. I was on RW5 with a great theme called Qube but when I changed to RW7 I lost the theme and nothing worked. I think the fault lies with the theme not Rapidweaverā€¦

1 Like

I think you are failing to read properly . Everything, RW, every Stacks, has been updated to the last versions. And BTW I am dealing with what you call modern technology since 1990 starting with Opcode Studio Vision so I guess I am quite experienced about being very careful when it comes to updating, saving, restoring etcā€¦

Same as for SteveBā€¦ everything RW, Stacks and every stacks has been updated and it didnā€™t work. I trashed all the updated stacks rebuilt the website with RW 5.4 using ā€œoldā€ stacks. Now it works.

Ok. As I said I have no time to restart an investigation on something which already costed me too much to my taste. But next time I will have to work on it I will keep your suggestion in mind thank you.

I feel your words :slight_smile: ā€œpainful, several days, debugging stuff weeks laterā€ is exactly what I could escape from if Iā€™d never updated (in my case I should add ā€œuselessā€ as I didnā€™t need more than what I got before but ended with less). Now I am back in stone age and I am ok with it from the moment it just works.

Exactly! Thatā€™s what I said to me dozen of times when the nightmare began :smiley:

Everything became obsolete. Mostly the software.
Some web sites made with RW4 did not work well on RW5 because some addons were not compatible.
Some web sites made with RW5 did not work well on RW6 because some addonsā€¦
Some web sites made with RW6 did not work well on RW7 becauseā€¦
It happened also with other software, even very expensive like Cinema4D.
If some web sites are very important and the addons are not compatible, keep the RW version you need.
And use RW7 and new addons for new projects, because it is much better.

1 Like

I think you are completely right. In fact I didnā€™t update during all these year because everything was fine and I already experimented difficult transitions with Logic, Mac Os and audio pluginsā€¦ but I was attracted by the new stuff and finally tried to taste it hahaha. I am not pointing RW here. Just saying, if you donā€™t NEED to update and donā€™t want to take the risk of facing new problems, donā€™t move.

@Sparkoids Normally the migration assistant will bring all your addons over from an older version of RW, so you should never be in a position whereby addons are lost. If you ever need to manually install addons into specific versions of RW, you can easily do so by dragging and dropping them onto your desired RW dock icon. RW will tell you if something is not compatible or canā€™t be located and offer a solution.

Qube has been frequently updated throughout its entire life and those updates have been provided for free. It is a very solid theme used by hundreds of people in thousands of websites. The newer versions definitely are RW7 compatible. This theme even supports RW7 dragged-and-dropped banner images. So any suggestions that Qube is not RW7 compatible is just fairy fantasyā€¦

The advice remains that if you encounter difficulties with an addon after doing an update, you should politely ask the developer for assistance. When you buy an addon, part of what youā€™re paying for is the support. Donā€™t suffer in silence or start ranting on these forums! Most developers will listen and try to help you. But you have to initiate the conversation yourself. We cannot see what is happening on your screen.

4 Likes

Excuse we Will I never said anything bad about the Qube theme - I love the thing. I cannot find my subscription details and lost the data on the computer it was on and couldnā€™t recover it from the web was all. All I was saying was it may be the theme not Rapidweaverā€¦

I donā€™t understand what all the fuss is about.
All software applications have a ā€˜Best before dateā€™. Just like Rob Zeeb, I have RW 5, 6, and 7 on my machine, because I know full well that RW has changed [read ā€˜improvedā€™] so much over the years that itā€™s unlikely that a site I built 5 years ago will convert well to RW7.
Thankfully RW 5ā€”7 can coexist on the same machine without causing problems.

However, thereā€™s another aspect to consider ā€“ not only do apps change, but also design tastes. I wouldnā€™t dream of republishing a site from years ago without giving it a design overhaul.
In this case RW7 is a godsend. I recently rebuilt a website, retaining much of its original design, but with less than half the number of stacks that it originally had, reducing its footprint significantly.

DO UPDATE, but keep your old version [If you can afford the space on your machine]

2 Likes

The guy made a very valid pointā€¦ Donā€™t upgrade if you donā€™t have to.

I read all the posts of this thread. There were many great points and suggestions. Something that is said in a round about way but not directlyā€¦ A BIG PROBLEM WITH RAPIDWEAVER UPDATES is that one upgrade can potentially mean dealing with literally dozens of developers updates. Having things so open to third party devs is a double edged sword. It cuts both ways.

I love and have supported many 3rd party devs. When you talk about upgrading Rapidweaver you are taking on a hell of a project if you want everything to work. The last 3 RW upgrades have felt rushed to market to me. When you read about all kinds of publishing issues months after a release it is a put off because it seems never ending.

The punchline is that Iā€™m sure soon they will be talking about releasing 8.

Peace to all.

1 Like

I disagree with that. IF you keep up, the steps and problems are much smaller. Sure, if youā€™re jumping several major updates, you will see more things that have to be fixed. RW and developers also need to keep up with technologyā€¦ Google, OS etc.

What happens when your version of RW no longer works on a computer or OS? Having nothing to do with RWā€¦ just based on new systems and processors? As mentioned beforeā€¦ when Photoshop and other programs went 64 bit, older processors could no longer run it.

I applaud the developers at RW and 3rd parties I use, for constantly keeping up with cutting edge technology and updates. On a DAILY basis sometimes. There are better and better ways to do things, so, like all other apps out thereā€¦ it makes sense to me to keep up if you want to not be stuck one day and nothing works.

I am not a programmer, and the only website I build is my own. But as a business person, my website is the most important thing in todayā€™s market.

Iā€™ve never had any major issues with updating. I know lots of people have. But, that is probably because I keep up and also maintain relationships with those developers whose products I use. First thing: Use developers that are constantly updating, offering new products and responding here in the forum. Second: Reach out to them. They are very helpful. Think about it. They WANT their products to work for you.

So before you complainā€¦ reach out. And, donā€™t assume everyone else is having the same problems you are. There is such a thing as ā€œuser errorā€. Believe me, I am great at that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As has been pointed out upgrading to the next release of RW does not have to be ā€œThrow the Switchā€ kind of upgrade. I still have RW6 and 7; others have 5, 6 and 7. Upgrading RW isnā€™t like upgrading your OS, the program names arenā€™t even the same. You shouldnā€™t delete your old releases until you are sure everything is working the way you need it to on the new version.

3 Likes

@Rubin still have not heard anything from you when it comes to my response here two days ago:

We have no ticket from you and we can not help you unless you give us information to find the issueā€¦

2 Likes

Update regularly and the problems become negligible. This applies not only to Rapidweaver but to software in general.

4 Likes

Thank you, sorry I have very few time these days to step in RW again but I will send a ticket again.

As far as I (tried to) rebuilt my website from scratch using only updated RW7 and updated stacks I donā€™t think this was the problem.