Embed a .pdf in RW or Stack

(Nick Wilcox-Brown) #1

Have I missed something? A quick search bought up very few posts or questions relating to embedding a pdf. I have hundreds of stacks and yet, when it came to embedding a single pdf into RW I realise I have no idea how to make it work…

The pdf is currently stored as a RW resource. I’d like readers to view on the site if possible.

Thanks for any thoughts :smile:

/nick

(Joe Workman) #2

How about my PDF Embed Stack?

(Joe Workman) #3

I should add that embedding a PDF on your site is not bulletproof. Depending on the browser used or the OS, the user may need to have a PDF plugin installed into their browser.

(Mark Sealey) #4

What I’m trying to do as well is have it act as a flip book - in this style.

(Rob D) #5

Yeah, Mark! That would be really neat!

So, @joeworkman, I see a job cut out for you – check out that link that Mark provided… :grin:

BTW, I have Joe’s PDF Embed stack and it works great for me.

(Mark Sealey) #6

Thanks, Rob!

I like PDF Embed, as I do every Stack of Joe’s which I’ve ever bought :smile: !

It’s giving users the flip-book experience that I think would be nice.

(Nick Wilcox-Brown) #7

and there was I thinking that I had every Stack you’d ever done :wink:

Looks like I have missed one - Thanks Joe!

(Mary Delton) #8

Hello,
I have a different question re PDF embed and PageSafe. I am using JW’s PageSafe to protect club members info. I made a pdf file of an excel file am am trying to use the stack PDF Embed in PageSafe. I was able to get the PageSafe lock to work just fine but when I try to view the pdf file, nothing shows up either in preview mode or if I publish the page. I have a button link on a Membership Page for Members Login that goes to the PageSafe page. I can unlock the page but everything shows up except the pdf file when I preview or publish. I have tried setting the PDF Embed link to the complete URL (http . . ./resources/…pdf) or to just the name of the pdf file that I have in Resources. I have tried several pdf files and can’t get any of them to show up. I have watched Joe’s videos but he doesn’t use the PDF embed stack in his PageSafe videos. I am using Yosemite and the latest versions of Stacks and stacks and RW 6.3.5.

It’s probably something simple but for the life of me, I haven’t been able to figure it out.

TIA, Mary

(Adam Olson) #9

FWIW I use http://www.flipbuilder.com to generate a Flip book from a PDF. I use Word to edit the links and the document and then generate the TOC using LibreOffice which gives me the best off each of these softwares because I can get the feel and what I want in Word and I make TOC from the Heading formats.

(Glenn Hoetker) #10

Another approach, which can be used in Blog entries is to take embed it as an Object. For example, the Body for the page http://hoetker.faculty.asau.edu/Research/Research/papers_files/Alliance_experience_and_governance_flexibility.php

is the following line. The first line has nothing to do with this question. The second line provides an easy way for someone to download the document. The third line displays the PDF in a scrollable window. The fourth line is a fallback. This approach doesn’t work as well on mobile devices (at least iThings). There, it displays just the front page of the PDF, but viewers still have access via the Download link. For my likely readership, I’ve decided this is acceptable. For my purposes, I needed to be able to display PDFs on non-Stacks pages. A dedicated PDF viewer stack would probably be the better option if you didn’t have that constraint.

<a href="javascript:history.back()"><i class="fa fa-arrow-left fa-lg"></i> Return to prior page</a>

<a href="%resource(research/Lee-2015-8420.pdf)%"><i class="fa fa-file-pdf-o fa-lg"></i> Download </a>

<object data="%resource(research/Lee-2015-8420.pdf)%#scrollbar=1" type="application/pdf" width="100%" height="110px" style="border:3px solid #990033;">

<p>It appears you don't have a PDF plugin for this browser. You can click here <a href="%resource(research/Lee-2015-8420.pdf)%"> to
  download the PDF file.</a></p>

</object>

(e.g.,) #11

Pretty cool effect. Would be nice as a stack.

Is that FlexBox?