Enable to publish

So a simple project local publishing works, but your main project fails?

Without knowing all the plugins (page types) you are using on the main project it’s difficult to say for sure what is causing the issue. Let’s continue with are process of elimination.

First off, what kind of pages are you using(stacks, formloom, styled text, blog)?

For addon plugins like stacks what versions are you using?

What macOS version are you using?

If you are using stacks 4, did you take the latest release Stacks 4.1.2?

Once you have answered these questions, then I’d probably make a copy of the project, set it up to publish locally (if you can’t publish locally then you won’t be able to publish remotely, so no point in wasting the extra time.

I have no idea how many pages you are using or what kind so it’s hard to say what to eliminate first, but you could start by deleting half the pages. Try to publish locally, if it fails then you know the problem is in that half, if it publishes okay then the problem is in the half you deleted.

Anyway you can keep cutting the remaining pages (with the problem) in half until you find the bad page.

If you have a small number of pages then you can also right-click each page one at a time an select publish.

2 Likes

Try these: test after each step.

1. Disable all plugins that you’re not using – yes even plugins that you’re not using get loaded (Ex: PlusKit loads Find Plus even when there are not PlusKit pages in your document).

2. Make sure to update to the very very latest. There are a lot of updates happening right now (mostly my fault, sorry about that) – but the good news is that most problems are getting resolved. So update everything you can.

3. If you are using some plugins, disable them. Then test. If things work, re-enable your plugins one at a time – there usually aren’t too many, right?

Now that you've tested you should have a better idea what is causing the problem, here's what to do with that knowlege:
  • If the problem happens even with no plugins installed (unlikely – most of the problems I’ve seen in the past week are due to changes in the RW Frameworks that broke some older plugins) – but on the unlikely chance that the problem still occurs after all plugins are removed, then it’s time to send your project over to the folks at Realmac to have a look.

• If you discover that the problem is one (or more) of you plugins, then let the plugin developer know (it might be me) and send them your Project along with the what you were doing at the time (obviously you were Publishing/Exporting – but I’m hoping this helps some other people having similar but different issues too).

• Last but not least, if you have a Stacks issue, then you should probably pack up your all your addons so that we’ll have your stacks to open your file. You can do this by following these instructions.

Good Luck! I’m sure we’ll get this all sorted out soon.

1 Like

Thank you Teefers so much. There are good new suggestions for me to go on trying to find the problem. The project is using styled text pages, blog, and stack 4.1.2. Total 15 pages, 5 aren’t shown in navigation. I will let you know if I managed to solve publishing !

And the same thanx goes to Isaiah Carew :heart:

Do you mean with “removing” the plugins the same as “enabeling” them. Or mark them as “unchanged” before publishing?? - I marked all the pages (without the simple Home-page, which hasn’t any important content) as unchanged and tried to publish to a local folder. That provoked the “unable to publish”-message!?

How do i really “desable” plugins? Delete them from the project? Or can I do this in some preferences?

In the addons manager (button on the toolbar) simply select Plugins and uncheck them:

1 Like

After you uncheck items to disable plugins RW will ask you to re-launch RW.
After that, please double check to make sure items are still disabled.

On two occasions now, I’ve found users that can’t disable their plugins – in both occasions they had a copy of the plugin in the Disabled Plugins folder and one in the main addons folder.

I suspect that condition confuses the addons window. Although I don’t know what causes that condition. Maybe installing it again? Maybe they have slightly different file names? I’m not sure. But worth double checking if you are still experiencing problems.

1 Like

thank you Isaiah and Teefers. I disabled the plugins, that wasn’t a problem. Enabled again. Whatever I do, publishing on the local folder isn’t working. - What I need now, is someone, who give it a try in connecting via TeamViewer for instance to look at the settings and solve the problem. I would like to pay. Is there nobody in the Realmac-Team responsible for tough problem solving? Aaron, Ben, you or you ? Thank you…

if you send your project file to me and capture the state of your addons folder then i can do one better – i can see what you’re seeing, but on my machine with a debugger enabled, which is what’s really necessary to understand problems like this. simply witnessing them is not usually sufficient to fix tough problems – development tools let run things in slow motion and peer inside the code while it’s working (or in this case, not working).

Here’s how to capture the state of your addons folder, which is necessary for me to get the full picture of what’s going on:

https://yourhead.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033849994-Sharing-Your-Project-and-Add-ons

Isaiah

I did as you told, last week. Tell me please if you got time to have a look into it. Thank you.

After one month I am still waiting for help in publishing. I did everything you told me, you have my projectfiles, i wrote you several Emails to yourhead-support. I didn’t have any answers. Have I to shut down my website now and start a new one with wix? What I tried to avoid??

I’m very sorry. i would never make someone wait so long. i’m afraid some wires must have been crossed. our current support backlog is about two days. can you send another email from the same address. you don’t need to send a project, just one email.

my guess is that something is going to someone’s spam folder or somehow got overlooked.

Isaiah

I sent you an Email just now. Please check.
RAS

Hello Isaiah,

And again ----- the big void. What could I do that you would be answering ? Please tell me. Are you aware of my zip-files I sent you? Did you try a publishing? Is there something completely wrong with my request?
With kind regards
RAS

@rasavol,

It’s best to tag someone on this forum by using their username like: @isaiah. Most people are set up to get an email or notification when they get tagged.

1 Like

Thanks @teefers and @isaiah, for your detailed explanations above. As you can see from this conversation and others here on the Forum, there are a number of us out here who seem to be having the same problem with suddenly (and inexplicably) being unable to publish using RapidWeaver’s native FTP function, even though we could publish before.

A few quick questions: I understand about the importance of deleting/disabling plugins and/or stacks that we no longer use in our RW project. Does that also include deleting any unneeded RW themes located in that Preferences pane? Or does deleting unnecessary themes not have any effect either way on publishing issues?

I ask because on that Themes pane in Preferences, there are some themes that may not be developed anymore or up to date (Nick Cates Designs comes to mind). So, does it matter at all if we delete any unneeded themes — along with unneeded plugins and stacks?

@isaiah Hello Isaiah,

And again ----- the big void. What could I do that you would be answering ? Please tell me. Are you aware of my zip-files I sent you? Did you try a publishing? Is there something completely wrong with my request?
With kind regards
RAS

Themes, that aren’t being used shouldn’t have any impact on publishing. RapidWeaver comes with a bunch of very old themes that no one should be using that you can’t delete.

Plugins like stacks work a bit differently than themes.

I understand that you and some others are getting frustrated. I like many others haven’t seen any of the publishing issues that you and others are experiencing. Adding to the frustration is the ”DevMate” bug that prevents getting a publishing log to help determine what exactly is the issue(s) being experienced.

And of course, it’s not helping that all you are hearing from the RealMac support people and developers is silence.

My only suggestion would be to find an alternative way to publish. I know it’s time-consuming but it’s all I can think of until help arrives.

Publishing to a local folder, if you don’t have a standalone FTP app like transmit(paid) or FileZilla(free) then get one and try that route.

2 Likes

Just an update to fellow Weavers on this issue of FTP/SFTP publishing that I and other Weavers have been experiencing lately.

I think I may have resolved this problem for myself, for now, by clearing out my resources area in RW and deleting files that obviously did not belong in there in the first place. Somehow, I unknowingly put files in RW resources that were causing conflict with SFTP — and once I removed those unneeded files and tried republishing, everything went smoothly and I could finally republish again using SFTP on RW.

So, if you are still experiencing similar problems, one place you may want to look at is the resources area of RW. Deleting unneeded files in RW resources solved the publishing problem for me. I hope it works for you as well.