Getting Started - Best Location for establishing Projects Folders?

Hello! I’ve searched for most of the morning trying to find any mention of best practices for setting up a central projects folder BEFORE even opening up RapidWeaver for the 1st time. Lots of stuff on Plugin folders, and creating pages, but maybe I missed the very beginning basics of starting at square-1: where is the best location for establishing Rapidweaver Project folders before even opening up the program and then saving each project in a child folder?

Let’s say, for example, that you will have 3 websites (3 Rapidweaver Projects), and want them all in a Rapidweaver Projects root folder…where would be best for “My Rapidweaver Projects” root folder? On a NAS? Dropbox? Sync? or iCloud?

Any help or best practice advice will be appreciated!
Thanks!!

I place them into a folder called websites in my documents folder. I do not place them into any cloud services, there have been a lot of reports of projects getting corrupted this way, so keep them local.

2 Likes

Thank you Jan! Would it be safe to assume then, that you do not have your Documents synced with iCloud?

I’ve never done that, but since installing Big Sur, I figured I’d try iCloud for Desktop and Documents, as well as Photos again. They all drove me crazy with Catalina, but we’ll see.

Thanks again,
Rickk

I would not use it for my RW-projects. I normally zip them and then save them in the cloud for an additional backup. For iCloud, I only use the fotos option…

Got it. Ok, thanks again for your reply and the advice!

I have never relied upon any sort of “cloud” services and probably never will (for various reasons). Instead, I use a system that some call a “private cloud”.

It’s as simple as it can be. One 500GB SSD drive connected to my main computer via USB-3 (and powered by it). I have all things related to web development on that drive. That includes projects, all add-ons, resources and all supporting files.

When I want to switch between my main computer and my laptop (which doesn’t happen often), I simply unplug my SSD from the main computer and hook it up with my laptop.

The backup system is very important. I have all my projects backed up to my hosting server. Of course, I am also using Time Machine and other means of backing up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.