I am not able to preview after Stacks upgrade

Easiest way to get older versions of any Yourhead Plugins is here

I did, but the last one there was 3.1.0.

Hi guys,

I don’t usually post betas to the forum, but I’m going to make an exception this time. The download below is to a potential fix for this problem. If anyone can confirm that it works/doesn’t-work I’d really appreciate it.

Some detail: RapidWeaver 7.1 comes with some pretty great threaded loading/saving/exporting. Some of the new machinery for those changes is likely the cause of the problem that some are seeing. Unfortunately, even though everyone in this thread is seeing the problem – not many are – so none of my test machines, none of my testers, and none of the stack developers are seeing this.
This makes fixing the bug a bit more challenging as we’re guessing at what might be the cause. If anyone has a spare few minutes to give this a test it would be very helpful to know if we fixed it, or if there is still more work to be done.

Updated: I’m replacing the beta links here with links to the final release version with this fix. If you’re interested in following along on the beta you can on our Slack channel: http://slack.yourhead.com or check our twitter feed for more information about betas and other news. http://twitter.com/yourheadsupport

Stacks 3.2.3
Fix for the intermittent preview bug that some users are seeing.

Download: http://yourhead.com/appcast/RW6/Stacks3/Stacks_3.2.3_3847.zip
Notes: http://yourhead.com/appcast/RW6/Stacks3/release_notes_3.2.3_3847

3 Likes

Also, if you need to jump back to the stable version here’s a direct link to the download:

http://yourhead.com/appcast/RW6/Stacks3/Stacks_3.2.1_3826.zip

cc: @LSPhoto

3 Likes

that seemed to work for me :slight_smile: You’re on the right track :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh good news. Maybe I hit it on the first try. Thanks for the report.

Yes… Preview works and publishing/exporting as well :slight_smile: happy to test for you… Good for me too :slight_smile:

Yes, also here (RW 6.4) seems to be working. Many thanks, Isaiah.
(But i do not understand why should it be so difficult to go back to the former version: when you upgrade, the old one goes in the Trash. Does it happen only to me?)

Just installed the latest beta mentioned above and seeing some strange behaviour. Try changing the background colour of a column stack in Foundation and switch to preview mode. Then press command Z to reverse the change and you get caught in a long sequence of waiting for Stacks to provide page files, followed by page contents that repeats several times taking a good couple of minutes before it finishes.

hey @ashleykaryl ,
that sounds like a very different issue. i want to make sure the earlier issue isn’t buried by this. would you mind making a separate thread for your question.
thx

That’s normal with most programs and updates. Same thing with iTunes apps, if you use it at all, you’ll notice when you do updates, the older versions of the apps will go into the trash :slight_smile:

Updated stacks yesterday. Having the same issue that everyone else was having after updating to Stacks v3.5.5. Export/refresh on continuous loop. Pretty frustrating.

On the basis that you’re posting to a thread that’s over a year old I doubt you’re having the ‘same’ issue.
There is a known problem/feature/whatever with MacOS High Sierra (10.13) that was fixed with the most recent version of Rapidweaver 7.i.cant.remember … Check what version your running and if its old you should update it

1 Like

Hi Ross,

Yes, this thread is very old. Much older than recent versions of Stacks or RapidWeaver that have had this preview-loop.

The preview loop is most prevalent in High Sierra + RapidWeaver (actually happens on every page-style, not just Stacks) – but I have seen similar behavior with other combinations as well.

However recent updates to RapidWeaver seem to correct it – definitely for me, but also for most others. So give that a shot.

As an aside: moderators can you please lock threads like this so that folks don’t keep posting to them – conflating (swirling together confusingly) old issues with new only increases the confusion, makes it tough for support folks to respond, and buries important new issues at the bottom of dusty stale old threads. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Should have started a new thread, but since the behavior described in the rest of the conversation is exactly what I’m experiencing I figured I’d give it a go. Sorry… I guess.

High Sierra is my current operating system, and was not having this issue with Rapidweaver until I updated stacks. Either way stacks seemed to be the catalyst. Unfortunately, we are not using RW7. We are currently using RW 6.4. Any suggestions or are we SoL without upgrading to 7?

@RLyons116 - no need to say sorry. :wink:
it’s just the nature of the forum – seems to encourage swirling things. :stuck_out_tongue: most of the time that’s a good thing.

“Either way stacks seemed to be the catalyst”

If you’d like to try an earlier version of Stacks, you can jump over to our archive and download any version that you like: Stacks

If that does seem to improve things for you, please let us know. I’d like to try to understand what happened there.

“We are currently using RW 6.4.”

Generally speaking, the most stable way to use RapidWeaver is when the plugins, OS, and the app itself are all from the same timeframe. That will be the most tested, the most stable, and where most of the stack addons will work the best.

You’re mixing very old RapidWeaver with very latest Stacks and a bleeding edge macOS. Although officially those versions are all supposed to work together – in all likelihood there are probably only a handful of people have actually tried it.

In other words: hang on tight, it’s going to get a bit bumpy. :wink:

I know the issue that you’re bumping up against: High Sierra (when you have a new APFS formatted drive) triggers many extra file changes that didn’t get triggered in previous versions of macOS. apps that watch for file changes (like RapidWeaver) are getting inundated with extra new notifications.
Working around this new behavior of macOS means ignoring those extra notifications. RapidWeaver 7 released a update to correct for this only a few days before High Sierra came out.
My guess is that RapidWeaver 6 is (perhaps catalyzed by Stacks???) is falling victim to the same issue.

If there’s something I can do about this in Stacks, I will of course. I will do some investigation on our macOS 10.13 machine (I didn’t install RW 6 on it – but I will now).

An easy experiment would be to temporarily uninstall Stacks entirely and just create a few built-in pages. If the preview-loop goes away with those – then there’s a good chance it is a Stacks issue. If the preview loop continues, then it definitely isn’t.

Let me know what you find out… I will do the same. If you want any direct assistance on this, don’t hesitate to send a message to http://yourhead.com/support

Isaiah

1 Like