Issues when republishing all files

After resolving my issue with the lastupdated tag, I republished all the files on my local disk. When I open the “index.html” generated file, I’m getting this:

However, when I preview the same page from RapidWeaver into Safari, it looks fine:

Minor issue: is it possible to have the menu to extend past the edge of the page?

Index.html + index.php ?
Did you check if you have two indexes? One php and one html?

No, only “index.html”:

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 13.47.10

What could I had done?

Completely republishing the entire site?
You’ve tried?

So that the css are all loaded.

Now

I didn’t read that you meant local.

Yes, I usually publish to my local disk to check for any mistake before I upload it to my web server. The current website is good and that’s how it used to be when I was generating it.

Like I said, I did republish all files.

I think RapidWeaver is very powerful but, sometimes, it gets too complicated and then you have problems like I have.

I think I’m going to put a big banner at the top saying:

Here is what RapidWeaver from Realmac Software generates. Beware of false advertising!

I’m kinda confused on what the issue is. Are you using MAMP or something similar to try and preview your site locally on your Mac before uploading? If not you might experience issues trying to preview the locally published site (like you appear to be having).

If the site looks ok when you preview it in your browser using RapidWeaver’s built-in “preview in browser” feature, then it’s fine to upload to your web server.

If you are really concerned, why not create a subdomain at your web hosting provider, something like staging.example.com. Then you could duplicate your RW project file, open the duplicate project file in RW, change the URL to staging.example.com in the General settings, and upload the duplicate site to that subdomain. From there you could check for any mistakes before you published to your main domain, and you’d have the added benefit of actually previewing what the site looks like on your live server, so you’d have more accurate results.

Hi Dan.

Not sure what MAMP is but I don’t think I use it. Yes, I generate it locally to check for errors. The thing is, after switching themes, it will generate correctly on my local hard disk. But there are some error I need to fix and when I modify the theme style, then all hell breaks loose for no reason. For example, one problem I’m having, and I don’t know it it’s because the site is local, I have a main menu at the top with an item to open a privacy page. For some reason, from the locally generated site, when I click on that item, the page opens a folder in the Finder. Very weird.

I will try to arrange something on my site to try your idea of a staging a subdomain and see if that works.

Thanks.

Thats inappropriate. You’re having an issue, and it appears people are attempting to help you. It might be an issue if everyone had the same problem. And if there was a real problem I think you’ll find everyone trying to figure out a solution…
Adrian

It’s customary for the final one or two ‘parent’ page links in a right-aligned website navigation menu to be standalone links. That is to mean, without any child / subpages to display.

Commonly the final one or two page links would be reserved for singular pages, like an FAQ, terms, or contact / support page. This helps cushion the menu from the extreme right side of the screen, providing space for drop-downs to show.

It would be possible to use custom CSS code and dictate that drop-down menus should open leftwards, instead of in the default rightwards direction. However I’m personally not overly keen on the idea, from a usability perspective. It is second-nature for most people to expect a drop-down menu to open downwards, and then track rightwards if there are additional levels of links to show. To reverse this, might add a degree of awkwardness.

In the same way, if you right click on the far right of your desktop. The little carets in the menu point rightwards, but the menu items open on the left side. Something that has often irked me.

I seem to recall you are using one of my theme designs. I’ve tended to add settings so that you can change the alignment of the menu to something other than right alignment. You may want to explore the theme style settings and perhaps experiment with a slightly different navigation bar alignment, if such settings exist in your theme. Alternatively we can explore using some custom CSS code to get things working more to your liking.

Every website is unique, taking into account of the quantity of page links to be shown, their length, and the addition of subpages. What you are seeing is an age-old problem that has persisted for the 20 years I have been doing this. Although we can attempt to find a “sweet spot” and design a menu in such a way as to avoid this, I think there always will be some edge-cases that come along and require some extra thought.

In a WordPress website I am currently doing some work on for a client, a previous author thought it would be a fantastic idea to have every blog post linked in the menu. The result being we now have a menu longer than the Bayeux Tapestry.

Thank you all. I definitely don’t want to waste people time on my problem. It is just weird. I did an update to my website at the beginning of October last year. Everything was fine. Last week, I wanted to make some corrections. After making corrections to some text, that’s when my problems started. I think part of the problem is that there are many moving parts in RapidWeaver. The themes, the theme styles, the addons, etc. I even tried to restore from a backup all the parts that I thought were contributing to the problem to bring them exactly like it was after I finished my last update last year and still had the same problem. It’s like the CSS are not loaded when I generate on my local hard disk. Like Dan suggested, I’m going to set up a staging on my web server and will upload them to check if everything is good.

Will, yes, I use one of your theme and I already used much of your time, so thank you.

It looks like Dan had the right explanation. Publishing locally has some problems, it seems. I was able to setup a staging area on my web server and then published to it. Everything seems to be working fine.

Dan, perhaps something that Realmac Software can troubleshoot?

Will: what CSS should I input to make the pages in Sno3 wider? I don’t have the option in the master style to set the width.

Without something like MAMP or a locally running webserver, your mac is unable to correctly work as a webserver would. So opening HTML pages will only load the HTML in question, and all the links in the HTML that refer to other files (like CSS) wouldn’t work.

This isn’t something that Realmac can fix - it’s a limitation of macOS. You could read into MAMP if you want to open websites locally and view them like they would when running on a webserver.

RapidWeaver comes with its own built-in webserver though, which activates when you click File > Preview Page In (or press command+p) or when you go to the preview tab inside RapidWeaver itself. That built-in webserver can’t open pages stored on your Mac’s storage though.

Cheers,
Erwin

2 Likes

Going by the website link https://www.nemesys-soft.com/ in your screenshot.

@media (min-width: 576px) {
    .container {
        max-width: 540px;
    }
}

@media (min-width: 768px) {
    .container {
        max-width: 720px;
    }
}

@media (min-width: 992px) {
    .container {
        max-width: 960px;
    }
}

@media (min-width: 1200px) {
    .container {
        max-width: 1140px;
    }
}

That was the code the original theme developer used for setting the maximum width for each screen breakpoint.

So below 576px the container is always 100% of the screen width. Above 1200px wide, the container is capped at 1140px wide.

You probably don’t want to go much wider than 1140px wide, unless you intend to split your content up into multiple blocks or columns. Long lines of text are difficult for people to read and a mistake I see some RW users making.

This topic was already marked as solved by the time I got to reply, so if the above does not help, the forum software suggests you will need to start a new topic instead.

1 Like

Thank you, Will! You’re the best!

Thank you. Now, that makes a lot of sense. So, I guess it was a fluke that in the past, I was able to generate the website locally and it would show correctly in Safari?