Moved Add Ons Folder-make RW add new items to new location

(Jody Joy) #1

This falls between a heads-up for RW users and a wish RW handled this function differently. In RW’s preferences I moved my Add-ons folder to the Applications folder on my desktop Mac so I could copy them over to my laptop and keep them synced more easily (Dropbox doesn’t work well.) However RW is not intelligent enough to realize that’s where the Add-ons folder is, so when you download any new stack or plugin it puts it in the old Library/Application Support/Rapidweaver/Stacks folder. Then you need to go in and move it manually otherwise when you open a RW project it doesn’t have access to any new items. So heads up if you choose to move your Add-ons folder from the default location. Wish RW was intelligent enough to know the folder has been moved and automatically add your new items to the new location.

(Mark Sealey) #2

Jody,

What you are seeing may perhaps be due to the fact that /Applications usually needs special permissions to manage - different from everywhere else.

Since the introduction of this feature in RW7 I have had mine in DropBox and it was worked flawlessly in every single case.

Maybe you could try another location and see if you have better luck?

(Jody Joy) #3

Mark, thanks for the reply. There appear to be potential issues with Dropbox that are discussed between myself and Ashley Karyl here: https://weavers.space/search?keyword=moving+add+ons+folder&limitSpaceGuids=

Aside from the fact that I might need to access them when there is no internet, which is another reason for not using Dropbox. I still would like to see this added as a feature, or corrected within RW itself if possible.

(Lisa Sandler) #4

The easier way is to move the add-ons folder where you want it, then go into RW and set it. From then on, it should install all add-ons in the correct place and if you’re copying back and forth to each computer, all you have to do is copy new add-ons into that folder.

(Mark Sealey) #5

Jody,

I suppose I’ve been lucky with DropBox. I more or less have to use it because I work with RW in two locations.

Even if DropBox were unavailable, RW would access local versions of your files on your machine.

I’d try moving them to some other location - maybe in your ~/Documents folder and see whether the process that Lisa describes you’re still having probs. Good luck!