Moving a Rapidweaver Project to a new hosting place (domain name remains the same)

Hello to all,

I have a +/- 50pages Rapidweaver Project build with Foundry 2, which is working perfectly…

I’m changing my hosting plan and my hosting company will move all the Rapidweaver files to the new platform/location (domain name remains the same and the hosting company is the same) only there will be NEW FTP settings, which I have to adapt under my Rapidweaver Publishing settings…

My question is when I do this should I Re-publish or just Publish when I make some changes or add a new page?

OR

I have to remove all existing Rapidweaver files from the new location on the server and just re-publish as a new project?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

If I understand what you’re saying, it’s a little confusing. You’ve said you are changing hosting companies in one place, but you said that “hosting company is the same” in another place.

I’m assuming that you mean the domain and the registrar is going to stay the same but the hosting company is changing.

Once you have the new hosting company setup and have the new publishing settings, you should republish all files to the new host.

You might be able to test the site before you change over. The new hosting company may have sent you information on how to do that. Since you didn’t mention the hosting company I can’t say how they’re setup.

Once you have republished all files within RapidWeaver and you’re satisfied that they are there, then go to the domains registar site and change the domains DNS to point to the new hosting company. Again they should have instructions on how to do that. It can take some time for the DNS changes to propagate to everywhere on the Internet, so it’s best practice to leave the old site alone for a day or two

Hello Doug,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Sorry if I was not clear.
The Hosting company is the same, I’m changing the plan/package with them, but indeed my actual hosting plan was not made correctly (by myself) and now I will have separate hosting plans for each of my website

Under my actual hosting plan, I have a main domain name (account) and a web site (not Rapidweaver) and a subsite where Rapidweaver is published and to this subsite folder a 2nd domain name is pointed…

So with the new Hosting plan by them, they will move my Rapidweaver under the root, as main site still with the same domain name under the new Hosting plan.

Now I’m publishing to /subsite/Rapidweaver folder and this will change to
/Rapidweaver Folder or /www/Rapidweaver Folder…
Since new hosting plan I will get a different FTP settings

I will change the FTP settings under my Rapidweaver Project and the question is whether I have just to push to Publish or republish button…or it’s better to keep the new hosting package just empty and just republish my Rapidweaver project as a 1st publishing time project?

Sorry to ask but what do you mean by republishing all files within Rapidweaver?

Kind regards,
Boris

Within RapidWeaver there are a number of ways to publish.

1. hit the Publish button(will publish only what RW has marked/thinks has as changed since last publishing)
  2. `⌘Cmd+⇧Shift+K Same as hitting the publish button above.
  3. Select Publish Site from the files menu - same as the publish button above.
  4. Select the Arrow drop-down next to the Publish button. There you have options one is Re-Publish All Files - This will do just that, publish every file that the site needs, just like it had never been published before.
    2020-07-24_11-01-15
  5. You can also do the same Re-Publish All Files from the files menu
    2020-07-24_11-00-45
  6. And there is a keyboard shortcut to Re-Publish All Files ⌃Cntl+⌘Cmd+K.
1 Like

Dear Doug,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I will follow this.

Attached is the actual details for the publishing action, which I setup on my Rapidweaver project.

Server: ftp.balmidor.be
UserName: balmidorbe@
Path: /subsites/balmidor.com

On the same project I want to change 3 fields compare to the actual setup as follows:

Server: ftp.balmidor.com
UserName: balmidorcom@
Path: /www

All the Rapidweaver files are moved from /subsites/balmidor.com to the new Hosting plan under /www

So my question was when I adapt those 3 settings whether I just push Publish ot better re-publish?

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 15.15.34|598x500

Hello again,

Am I the first with such kind of situation?

One additional change I noticed that should be done to all warehouse links (all links should be changed with the new address).

However main concern is how Rapidwever will handle this? With my little knowledge I think that the structure of the Rapidweaver pages is always the same…even after a change of the upload path?

In other words at the actual server: ftp.balmidor.be the upload is to a subsite -> /subsites/balmidor.com and the site is opening under his own domain name www.balmidor.com, after the move to the new server: ftp.balmidor.com, the upload will be to the root /www and the site should again open under the same domain name www.balmidor.com…without that is needed to change any of the internal Rapidweaver project page structure (inside Rapidweaver page links), correct?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!

reds,
Boris

Not sure I follow what you have said.

You used a term subsite, are you meaning sub-domain or something else like a directory on the sever?

Hello Doug,

My actual server/hosting situation is not perfect that’s why the changes. I will try to explain in few words:

Now the main domain is balmidor.be and the hosting plan and the server is linked to that and there is a e-commerce platform website under that domain…Two years ago I decided to create a 2nd website this time using Rapidweaver, so I created a subsite under balmidor.be /subsite/balmidor.com and purchased a 2nd domain name balmidor.com, which has been pointed to /subsite/balmidor.com…I do not know how, the hosting company has done this for me.

So I’m uploading my Rapidweaver to the hosting & server balmidor.be under the folder subsite/balmidor.com

NOW I purchased new hosting/server which will be balmidor.com and the domain name used for Rapidweaver balmidor.com will be the only one and therefore the place where the files of Rapidweaver will be uploaded is the root /www.

My worry is how Rapidweaver will react to those changes, meaning should I keep all the files that are on the server (they have been migrated from the old server to the new) and just change the FTP settings on the Rapidweaver project and work as usual (publishing after I made a change) OR I have to RE-Publish OR I have to delete everything from the new server and RE-Publish my Rapidweaver project as a 1st time publishing.

Okay,
The Internet has no such thing called a “subsite,” which sounds like something that maybe your hosting company calls it. It appears to be simply a directory structure they are using.

When someone enters an address into their browser (or clicks on a link), the address domain and/or sub-domain name go through a lookup process (DNS) to determine the IP address the request needs to be routed too.

Once the request gets routed with the IP address(shared with other sites) on most shared hosting services, it ends up at the webserver. The web server (sometimes a specialized proxy server) has a set of directives that will continue to route the request to a specific directory based on the domain or sub-domain name.

So some questions to make sure the move went Okay:

• Do any DNS records need to change(like a new IP address)?
  • Has the hosting company set up the directives correctly to point to the new directory?
  • Did the hosting company copy ALL the latest files from the old location to the new directory?

As for RapidWeaver

If you have faith that the hosting company did a complete job then just make sure that the publishing settings are correct to point to the new location.

I’m still not sure if the domain name has changed. Sometimes you refer to www.balmidor.com sometimes you called it balmidor.com. You might think they are the same and often they end up at the same location, but they can end up going to two totally different sites in totally different parts of the world.

But make sure whichever domain name you choose to use is entered in the Website Address field with the protocol (http:// or https://).

If you have any doubt in the hosting companies migration or you just want to make sure everything in the RW project matches what’s on the published sites then at minimum republish all files.

I’d probably delete everything (assuming you not using a CMS) and republish all files. But I have a very fast internet connection.

Dear Doug,

Once again thank you very much for tacking the time to reply to me.

Blockquote * Do any DNS records need to change(like a new IP address)?

Yes, there will be new IP address (new hosting contract but under the same hosting company)

Blockquote * Has the hosting company set up the directives correctly to point to the new directory?

Normally YES, but I can ask

Blockquote * Did the hosting company copy ALL the latest files from the old location to the new directory?

YES, everything has been copied from the old to the new directory

There are the best hosting company in Benelux, so I suppose that they will do correctly their job.

Blockquote I’m still not sure if the domain name has changed. Sometimes you refer to www.balmidor.com sometimes you called it balmidor.com . You might think they are the same and often they end up at the same location, but they can end up going to two totally different sites in totally different parts of the world.

There are 2 domain names balmidor.be & balmidor .com pointing to 2 different sites. The balmidor.com is pointing to Rapidweaver project. You are right, the directory is called Subsite and under the old hosting I created a sub-domain of balmidor.be for the Rapidweaver project and the files where uploaded to the folder /Subsites/Balmidor.com. Under the new hosting plan the Rapidweaver project will be the under the main domain name balmidor.com.

Concerning the Rapidweaver Publishing I will test all possibilities once the FTP settings have been adapted.

Thank you very much and have nice Sunday and stay safe @home!

kind regards,
Boris

Dear Doug,

Just to close the topic with some good news…I think I was worrying too much…

The Hosting company moved and setup all to the new hosting plan and then I had to ONLY update in Rapidweaver project the FTP settings with the new details and re-publish…all is running well.

Thanks for your time and help on this.

Rgds,
Boris

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.