N00b cannot publish

Not an affiliate link (I can send one if you want one) but hover.com are great for domain name registrations. I use them myself.

They are part of Tucows, which Wikipedia claims to be the second largest domain name registrar worldwide.

A little pricer than your bargain basement GoDaddy, Namescheap etc. However, you do get a really nice admin interface to manage your domains through, good customer care and free domain name privacy. The latter is a really essential feature to have, if you want to stop a relentless bombardment of spammers, scammers and trolls contacting you at all times of day and night!

Should you register a domain name with the same company you host your website with? This has been a hot topic in the past. The general consensus is that it might be good to keep them separate. That way if the hosting company goes bust or turns nasty, they don’t take your domain name “ransom”.

1 Like

Jim,

+1 for Will’s recommendation of Hover!

Chilli Dog Hosting is consistently praised on these forums. I use FutureQuest and have done so for almost 20 years… amazing record on uptime, reliability and almost instant tech support. Very hot on security as well.

I was plagued with masses of spam for almost a year, which NameCheap would at first acknowledge in an auto response;; then stopped doing even that; certainly never did anything at all to follow their own ‘abuse policy’; only with legal action did they actually start to follow the law and disable the hundreds (thousands) of their ‘customers’ who were repeatedly and systematically taking advantage of Namecheap’s couldn’t-care-less-in-fact-we’re-making-money attitude to what looked like worldwide organized attempts to defraud millions of email users. Appalling.

1 Like

Hi Will,

Thank you for recommending Hover, I will look into that. Now, if I may pick your brain some more, my questions is this…

What hosting service would you recommend that is plug-n-play and offers tech support that is likely experienced in getting RW sites published? This, for I am a beginner in all technical parts of web development and hosting, as showcased by my inability to publish my RW/Stacks website despite trying for many hours a day, for three days in a row. I have also spent hours with the NameCheap tech support and they have not been able to help me and repeatedly ask me to do things that I do not understand. I surmise it also does not help that their English language skills rate well below that of their Russian/Ukrainian level. :sweat_smile:

I appreciate your advise,

Jim

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your input. Very helpful. Please allow me to copy/paste here what I replied to Will…

My questions is this…

What hosting service would you recommend that is plug-n-play and offers tech support that is likely experienced in getting RW sites published? This, for I am a beginner in all technical parts of web development and hosting, as showcased by my inability to publish my RW/Stacks website despite trying for many hours a day, for three days in a row. I have also spent hours with the NameCheap tech support and they have not been able to help me and repeatedly ask me to do things that I do not understand. I surmise it also does not help that their English language skills rate well below that of their Russian/Ukrainian level. :sweat_smile:

Thanks!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I (and possibly quite a few other forums members here) would recommend Chillidog Hosting.

@barchard (Greg Barchard) is the owner and is also a RapidWeaver addon developer himself (making plugins and stacks for this platform). So he has complete knowledge of hosting RapidWeaver websites.

If you have any problems (like not knowing what publishing settings to use) he can almost certainly screen grab you pictures of RapidWeaver and what to enter in each box. He can help migrate your websites over to his server and handle all the technicalities like SSL setup.

Again you are probably going to be paying a bit more than you would from the other ‘big brand’ hosting companies out there. But good web hosting is such an important part of getting successful websites online, I feel it is always worth paying a little more, to get the quality.

-Will.

Hi Will,

Thank you so so much for that advise. I am more than happy to pay a little more to get a quality set up and quality support. Going to move all my stuff over to Chillidog!

Thanks again,

Jim

2 Likes

Chillidog is the way to go @barchard Greg will take care of you

1 Like

Jim,

First of all, please know that you’ll always get a welcome, and as much support as forum members are able to give, here :slight_smile: Welcome!

May I suggest your not worrying about being new to this… we all were at one time.

I agree about Greg and Chilli, although have no experience of their hosting packages myself: in as many years as these forums have been active I can’t remember anyone finding the service which Greg offers being anything other than excellent. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you Mark!

So, I went with Chilli and with Greg’s input I was immediately able to publish yesterday! One question that you can probably easily answer: Now when I change something small in my website, how do I get that change executed in the live site?

I went with Chillidog and immediately got my site published! Thank you for your input.

1 Like

Thanks again for your time and input. I went with Chilli and got my site published without a hitch.

After any changes you make in RW, you simply re-publish. RW should only upload the files that changed, so it would be a much faster upload.

Ok, that’s simple enough. Thanks again for all your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.