Need recommendations for web host

I have been very happy with the server provider I am currently using but they have suddenly decided - without any notice whatsoever - to raise their prices nearly twice over. For instance, one of my yearly charges has gone from $50 to $86.

I have been with this service provider since 2011 and they have been superb, but raising prices without notice does not sit well with me. It is going to be a pain to change all four of my websites, but I will no longer put up with this.

Any recommendations or suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks!

There are a number of post on web hosting. That’s a very general question. Was there something in particular that your looking for? Price is only one thing to consider in choosing a host provider.

• PHP version(s)
  • multiple domains / sub domains
  • bandwidth and space needed
  • MySQL
  • Complete Updated knowledge base.
  • Support - email ticket vs Chat Vs Phone, 24x7?

Just to name a few.

Hi, Phillip,

Try this company: https://www.veerotech.net/company. They are in Cary, NC. I am with them for about year and a half. I couldn’t be more satisfied. Cheap, fast and reliable. Excellent tech support, too (which is getting harder to find these days).

Thanks for your response to my query.

Most of my websites are low traffic so I do not need a lot of bandwidth. I tried to figure out what my storage figures are, but failed to find that info.

For instance, one of my websites is described as follows:

I do make use of PHP for one of my websites. And, your last point hit a nerve: In the past I could begin a “Ticket” and now it’s all Live Chat. I very much prefer using a Ticket or email because LC ties me to the computer and sometimes that does not work for me.

The grab you see above is of my largest website in terms of content.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your post.

I positively hate have to change service providers, but I’m going to have to bite the bullet. And yes, I hear you on the tech support. My current service provider used to be that way, but that has changed. From the names I have been dealing with it seems that it was sold to an offshore country company. Just a guess on my part.

Thanks again for your help. I will take a look at veerotech.

Free SSL certificates are another thing to consider. I know Dreamhost and Chillidog offer them, and probably many others do as well.

1 Like

Thanks for you post, David.

I have started a ticket with Veerotech. I’ll see how that goes. I hate to admit this, but I really have to come up to speed on my knowledge of server providers. Things have gone so smoothly with my current provider that I felt that I really did not have to worry about much at all. That has changed.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Rob,

I just started a Ticket with Veerotech (what a name …) and hope to hear back from them soon. And, BTW, their prices put a smile on my face.

Thanks again,
Phillip

I currently have clients on DreamHost, A2 Hosting, GoDaddy, and Dotster I love the first two, am ambivalent about the third, and detest the last. Here are my reasons why:

Free and super easy to install SSL Certificates
• DreamHost & A2 Hosting

Unlimited bandwidth (yes, I know nothing is really unlimited - but some of my sites, collectively, have over 10,000 visitors in a day…and I’ve never run into any issues)
• DreamHost, A2 Hosting, GoDaddy

Super easy Control Panels
• All four

Uptime
First three

Very generous affiliate programs that also save new people money
• DreamHost (my link), A2 Hosting (this one is @vibralogix’s link - I’m not signed up with their program)

Superb customer service
• First three

Will move your sites for FREE (yes, databases and everything - you don’t have to do anything!)
• A2 Hosting

DISLIKES
• Downtime, no free SSL Certificates, and terrible customer service with Dotster

• No free SSL Certificates & incompatibilities with shopping carts - GoDadddy

3 Likes

I took Rob’s recommendation with aveerotech and agree with everything he says.

1 Like

A2 must have upped their game!

1 Like

Dave,

Thanks so much for your in-depth response to my query.

I took a quick look at DreamHost and will return and submit a ticket/email with them. I have yet to hear back from Veerotech as of yet which may be due to the time difference.

Again, thank you for taking your time to provide all of your experience with each of these companies.

Happy to do so. I also had sites with Chillidog. Greg’s customer service is off the charts great, and he offers free SSL certificates, too. The only reason I moved was due to bandwidth issues. I needed more - but I’m guessing my sites were not totally the norm for RapidWeaver sites. Most of my sites would have easily have been fine with the bandwidth Chillidog offers.

I think you won’t go wrong with DreamHost. I have a few sites with them and been happy.

1 Like

All of you guys have gone above-and-beyond to help me. I cannot thank all of you enough.

Now I just hope I hear back from either DreamHost or veerotech. I have tickets in with both.

Thanks again,
Phillip

1 Like

With just a bit of research, I’m coming to the realization that the prices I am currently paying are not as excessive as I originally thought. However, I am still going to move all of my websites for the reasons previously sited above. All of this is serving as a good wake-up call for me.

I will keep digging into website knowledge bases for more info.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi @chicago

Happy to answer any questions or give you any advice. Just send me an email to support [] chillidoghosting.com. If you can provide me with your control panel info, I can review your site and make recommendations.

-Greg

Greetings Gregory,

Thanks for reaching out. Email has been sent.

Thumbs down to HostGator (I detest based on experience). Thumbs up to InMotion.

I woke up one day finding that HostGator had “parked” my entire site (site was down) because of “too much activity.” And would you believe, I was literally getting emails at the same time: “How to boost visits to your site.” You can’t make this stuff up.

Even though my account was “unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, etc” they said the fine print stated “as long as it doesn’t effect others on the same server.” I moved to inMotion (VPS) and have had good experience for about two years now. Good support, very limited downtime, good tools with the VPS account.

Another thing to consider… is the server SSD?