New plugin: Ecwid Online Store

Nope, deleted RW, reinstalled and when I try to create a page using the Ecwid plugin RW crashes. I already run a store using Ecwid using the embedded html code from the Ecwid store set-up and custom js to style, so I will continue to use that method for now.

Kevin, thanks for reporting. Weā€™ll try to replicate the issue locally and investigate it.

I think this is fantastic news that Ecwid is getting involved with Rapidweaver. Thanks Matt. Some plug in developers have a stack that imports their plug in into stacks pages, which would definitely be worth considering as many people are moving over to stacks only themes.

Once again, thanks for your efforts and consideration.

3 Likes

Iā€™m having the same experience as @kdjkn. Using RW 7.5.4, Stacks 3.5.5, OS X 10.11.6

Wonder if this is a macOS 10.11.6 issue, I have it working on two iMacs, both running macOS 12.x without issue.

does anyone have a crash report? i can probably provide a bit more insight into the issue.

1 Like

Hi!
For what operating system (which version) and what version of programs made the plugin? Maybe the program is closed, as the plugin is not working with El Capitan?

Just sent you a crash report in an email. Thanks!

thanks. this isnā€™t really a YourHead related issue ā€“ but i grabbed the email from the support queue ā€“ iā€™ll just delete that support ticket. :stuck_out_tongue:

iā€™m just sort of chiming in since the Ecwid guys are new to plugins and I thought maybe they could use a hand. :slight_smile: everyone can tell me to take a hike if they want.

OK, so crash reportsā€¦

it looks like this issue is related to the use of WKWebView.

WKWebView is available for 10.10+ (so thatā€™s fine since youā€™re running 10.11)
but the configuration info (stored in the xib) can contain settings that target more recent versions of the OS.

It looks to me like itā€™s crashing when attempting to unarchive the object from the xib ā€“ so it seems like a good first guess on where to look for this bug.

Recomendations:

• for users: UPGRADE!!! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR.
    ok, ok, donā€™t get all bent out of shape. i know that there are sometimes some very good reasons. my older mac pro canā€™t run 10.12 eitherā€¦ i get it. if you canā€™t upgrade your OS, then youā€™ll probably have to hang tight while the devs fix this. but if you can update ā€“ do it ā€“ at least get to 10.12 (iā€™m still a bit uncertain about 10.13, but i digress)

• for devs: consider using a ā€œLegacy WebViewā€ i.e. WebView
    the RW app supports 10.9+, so itā€™s a generally considered a GoodThingā„¢ if its plugins also work on the same versions ā€“ otherwise things get complicated. WKWebView requires 10.10+, and lots of its options require more recent versions than that.

If you do stick with WKWebView, then you should set the deployment target of the xib file to the version of the OS you intend to be the minimum for users. I think that will ensure those newer options stay out of there??? Honestly, Iā€™m not sureā€¦ that one is going to require some testing on old OSs. And whatever the case, probably best to state the version requirements of your plugin very specifically. There are always far more users running old versions of the OS than I expect.
    Pasted_Image_12_7_17__2_28_PM

OH, And :wave: welcome to the RW community Ecwid guys! Glad to have you in the plugin devs club. I make Stacks, let me know if can ever help out.

Isaiah

13 Likes

Looks pretty interesting. I have worked with Ecwid in the past. What I would like to see most would be an integration of the shop admin panel into the clientā€™s website. I remember that with previous Ecwid installs the clients were always irritated when they had to switch to the Ecwid website to administrate their shop. I tried to lower the barrier by integrating it into their site via iFrame, but that was always a poor compromise.
So I would most of all love to see a second stack/plugin for the administration of the shop. That would be cool!

2 Likes

Hi Isaiah,

Thanks for your kind words! And hey ā€” thanks for debugging that crash report, that helps a lot! Weā€™ll work on fixing the issue now.

As to using Stacks, my understanding was that stacks wouldnā€™t allow us working with a remote server API (the Ecwid REST/oauth API) in the RW admin (in the edit section). Isnā€™t that right?

What would you suggest?

Thanks,

2 Likes

Markus,

This is very interesting idea, thanks!

We provide an embedded shop admin panel in our plugins for other CMS (e.g. Wordpress) and it does work well. But in case of WP, the ā€œSite builderā€ and ā€œSite editorā€ are the same thing ā€” we can add an embedded store control panel to WP admin backend and both the developer and user (merchant) can use that. In case of RapidWeaver, it wouldnā€™t make much sense to add the shop admin panel to the RW itself as itā€™s for the developer only, right? So, what we should look at is actually adding the control panel to some protected page of the site, so the store admin can log in to that page and manage store. Is that what you mean? Does RapidWeaver provide an easy way to add protected pages to the website?

Thanks,

1 Like

RapidWeaver does not offer easy protected pages. But many users have Sitelok which does offer this ability. I have no idea, however, how many Ecwid users might also have Sitelok (which costs $40 for the first domain).

As Mathew above mentions there is Sitelok, but there is also a Stack called PageSafe by Joe Workman which will lockdown a page.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m thinking of. And there are easy ways to protect pages inside RW, there are a few stacks to do that. No need to develop something new.

edit: actually TotalCMS and EasyCMS work the same way: I use content stacks for the public pages and admin stacks for the page that is meant to be seen only by the admin (= the clients, that can edit their page content through the browser). Then this admin pages is being protected through PageSafe or Protect (two stacks that are designed to do this) and I as the webdesigner donā€™t have to interfere. Thatā€™s would I would love to have for a shop as well.

3 Likes

As to using Stacks, my understanding was that stacks wouldnā€™t allow us working with a remote server API (the Ecwid REST/oauth API) in the RW admin (in the edit section). Isnā€™t that right?

Thatā€™s mostly right. Of course a lot of folks have found ways to work around that. However Stacks 4 is mid-development and if there are ways for us to help support REST-based stacks that would be pretty great.

Iā€™ll send you a DM with my private email and maybe you can let me know what you need.

Isaiah

7 Likes

Wishlist for the ECWID plugin - some way to pull it in to Stacks pages. Maybe a solution like Formloom 3 from Yabdab that uses a ā€œRemote Stackā€ to pull the form page into whatever stacks page you like!

6 Likes

Thanks Raimo, weā€™ll look into it.

2 Likes

The plugin works for me too.

I have not redone my site in many years. What is the big drawback to running your store from a separate plugin?
I like the idea of it being separate. Involving other things into the store like Stacks would potentially add problems in my mind.

If somebody can explain why adding Stacks to the mix of the store is a better idea I would appreciate it. I am trying to figure out the best way to handle a store in my new site that I have not started yet. Thank you in advance.