New to RW8 and site doesn't look right at all

I just had to re-create my website in RW8 because my files from RW6 would not work. After three hours of work and RW8’s preview windows saying everything should look okay in Safari and Chrome, etc., when I actually go to the site using those browsers, my titles and all the links to other pages are listed in plain text above the photo content. It’s all messed up. What’s going on?

Jeff

Without a link to your site so we can see what you see it’s difficult to tell. By the sounds of things you probably need to republish ALL files. Try that and if still no good please provide the URL so we can inspect the site and diagnose with more precision.

2 Likes

Thanks. The URL is: tpmgretina.org

I re-published this morning and it looks fine now. However, I made a few tweaks (changing some link text colors is all) and then went to publish those changes and the publishing progress window states it could not contact the FTP server because my login credentials were incorrect. This, after just successfully re-publishing the site and I haven’t changed any login credentials. Could it be I just have to allow the serve more time? Also, whenever I CANCEL a publishing attempt due to problems, RW8 never finishes the cancel process… it just hangs, so I have to force quit. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks.

Jeff

Looked at the site and the only obviously broken link is the favicon ( just like almost every other site on the internet ).

The RW publishing engine has never been very good at cancelling and recovering from an aborted publish; I doubt there is much mileage to be gained by trying to troubleshoot that. So the answer to your question is ‘yes’ lots of people would experience the same lock-ups under those circumstances.

Is it possible that your host was unlocked for a period, like an hour, and when you went to publish again access had timed out?

It’s none of my business, of course, but would some of the information you are providing on that site not be better behind a login or pin coded barrier?

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for your response. I am a physician who was pretty much forced by necessity to create and maintain this site. I have NO web development skills, so am flying by the seat of my pants. I agree that we need more privacy but I don’t know how to do that. Will RW8 allow me to set up a login requirement? I guess I have a lot more tutorials to watch but most of them are not geared toward my nuts-and-bolts types of issues. I just successfully published (at least the login credentials worked this time) but none of my link text colors changed the way I made them in RW8. Hmmmm. Thanks for all your help!!

Jeff

I understand and please don’t think I was being mean or critical I just wondered about whether some of that data could be misused.

I was going to suggest getting a copy of pagesafe from Joe Workman, but then I looked and noticed that you are not using the Stacks plugin to make the site; which makes things a bit trickier as the range of goodies that make RW so appealing tend to be Stacks based.

Let me take another look and I’ll post back in a little while…

1 Like

Try pasting this into the CODE>CSS container, see what you think.

#container, .photo-navigation {
    width: 82%;
}

#pageHeader #grad {
    width: 100%;
}

#pageHeader h1 {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    font-size: 2.6em;
}

#pageHeader h2, .photo-caption {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    font-size: 1.4em;
}

#navcontainer {
	height: 3em;
}

#navcontainer, .photo-links {
    background-color: #51565E;
    border-bottom-color: #51565E;
}

#contentContainer #content {
    padding: 15px;
    background-color: #3a3a3a;
}

#navcontainer ul a, .photo-navigation a:link, .photo-navigation a:visited {
    color: #cccccc;
}

Its a shame that the text is embedded into that image. If you felt like taking the image out and building up headers and paragraphs (and using an image in a tasteful manner), I’d be happy to help you to mangle it out in plain html. Up to you.

1 Like

Yeah. I first made the site in 2006 when it was tough to get text to show up consistently between browsers and devices. The only people who need to use this site are other docs in our organization, so I’ve applied for SSL encryption through my web hosting company - have to wait a few hours for all the stuff to get confirmed and set up. I’ll probably password-protect the site as well. All our docs are used to (and expect) some gnarly-looking retinas in our photos. :wink: Now that you’ve helped me get the site functioning, I think I’ll ask our users what they think. If the consensus is to improve the overall visual appeal, I may take you up on your offer. Thanks again for all your help!
Jeff

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.