Strange publishing/permissions issues with RW8 - please help

I’ve just upgraded my website ‘Sound World’ from RW6 to RW8 which has worked fine until I came to edit the site and publish some new things. The site has been working flawlessly in RW6, but has hit problems in RW8.
Problem 1) When I press ‘Publish’, the ‘Exporting your website’ box appears, an item briefly appears in it (so briefly that I can’t see what it reads) and then disappears leaving the box blank. I hear a fatal ‘toc’ sound - and nothing else happens, the box remains blank. So I have to ‘Cancel Export’.
All my ftp/publishing settings are correct and as they were in RW6.
Problem 2) Next when I try and close RW8 I am prompted to save my changes but when I click ‘Save’ a message appears - ‘The document ‘Sound World’ could not be saved. The file is locked’. There is the option to ‘Cancel’ or ‘Save anyway’ so I click the latter and then get 'You don’t have permission to save the file ‘Sound World’ in the folder ‘Sound World (new)’ (which is the folder it’s already stored in!).

I’ve checked my permissions in the folder and they are correct, I’m the ‘owner’ of the folder (and of the the enclosed contents) so I don’t know what the problem is. I did some permissions repairs to no avail.
RW8 converted my site from RW6 and placed the site in the same folder as the RW6 version. I assume that shouldn’t be the cause of the problem, but I may be wrong?
Another potential culprit is that I upgraded to RW8 because I’ve recently upgraded to Catalina 10.15.6 (from High Sierra) and have had slews of issues with it across the board, all of which bar this I have sorted out.
Any help very welcome!!

I’d address problem #2 (unable to save first. When you publish in RW8 RapidWeaver saves project, so that maybe the issue with problem #1.

Have you tried the ”Save As” menu item? Try saving to the Desktop for now.

Since you ”upgraded” to Catalina, are all your plugins up to date?

Most ”outdated” plugins will result in problems with Catalina.

Hi,

in this case, make a backup. Then delete the publishing setting completely (remove setting) and add a new publishing setting. Enter the publishing data and save. Then try again…

Between the suggestions from both of you, I’ve sorted it! Thanks so much.
Just one thing - I did ‘Save As’ to the Desktop as suggested. Can I now move it somewhere else (back into /Sites on my Mac for example) or will that screw the whole thing up?

Make sure the file is closed and you can move it. When you go to open it again you’ll need to use the open menu and find the file in it’s new location.

Oh dear, still having problems once I edit the site…can anyone assist?

As before, when I try and close RW8 I am prompted to save my changes but when I click ‘Save’ a message appears - ‘The document ‘Sound World’ could not be saved. The file is locked’. There is the option to ‘Cancel’ or ‘Save anyway’ so I click the latter and then get 'You don’t have permission to save the file ‘Sound World’ in the folder ‘Sound World (new)’ (which is the folder it’s already stored in!).

So I can ‘Save As’ and put it in another location, and then delete the old file…but I don’t want to be doing that every time I edit the site. Any other workaround?

Where are you trying to save the file? What is the Full Path to the file?

It sounds like the drive/folder you are trying to use is the issue.

OK, originally it was in a Folder called Sound World (new) - MacintoshHD/Users/(User)/Sites/Sound World (new)
(Sound World is the name of my business)
After the problems with ‘Save’ began, I used ‘Save As’ and saved it to the Desktop. I then moved it using the method you advocated in your previous post (ie when it was closed) to (User)/Sites (using ‘Sites’ as the new host Folder, not a sub-folder within it).
As a test, I made some edits to another RW8 site I’ve created which was in yet another subfolder within Sites, and the same thing is happening - I have to create a ‘Save As’ version somewhere else to save any changes.

The (User) in the path is your user name?

Sounds like something is wrong with /Sites permissions. If you right-click on the Folder /Sites and select get Info what does the permissions look like?

(User) is me, yes, in reality my username is Dave1
Screenshot of ‘Get Info’ looks like this: (below)
I seem to be the Owner but…?

That’s a strange one. It shows you as the owner.

Can you create another folder at the base level of your user account (Call it something like Sites2? Then try “Saving As” to that folder.

If that works then i’d try to copy the stuff out of Sites.

Well, Doug, wherever I put it (I tried making a Sites2 Folder and putting it there, and a few other random places as a Test) the same messages keep appearing…
BUT after all those messages, I’ve found a workaround!
I click ‘Save As’ and choose the same folder as it’s in, and I get the '… already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it? ’ message, and I click ‘Yes’ and in it goes, in the same place it;s just told me I don’t have permission to Save it to. Vraiment bizarre…but at least it’s a simple workaround (phew).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.