Paid help for rapidweaver problem

While I appreciate the information I got yesterday, and it gave me new insights, I really need help for which I am willing to pay:

My problem is while my stacks show up in the addon folders, they are actually in dropbox. I need help getting rapidweaver to find them (and all my websites) in dropbox) which worked until I did something wrong yesterday. SO if anyone offers (or is willing to offer) paid assistance, please let me know.

Cathie,

I suspect you’ll get the help you need to here, without having to pay for it :slight_smile:.

Three questions:

1 - which version of RW are you using/experiencing the difficulties with? Does this page clarify how RW ‘knows’ where its addons are?

2 - when you say:

… which worked until I did something wrong yesterday…

are you referring to this?

3 - does this explanation of how Dropbox works help? If you point RW to the location in your Mac’s Dropbox folder, the fact that any files there (including your addons) are also being uploaded and synched with the Dropbox server is almost irrelevant. RW was designed to ‘find’ them in any folder; the Dropbox folder can be treated just like any other in the Finder as far as RW is concerned.

1. The problems are in RW 8 which I have had for some time. I have delated and reinstalled to no benefit.

2. Yes, aware of this page. About 2 years ago I changed the location of add-ons to dropbox and all has worked well since that time and it gives me some insurance for those times when my 2016 macbook pro is in for keyboard problems.

What I did wrong was to not know how to manage rapidweaver plus - as opposed to stacks. I am trying to set up a store and so decided to try both Ecwid and rapidcart4 (in spite of negative things online). When I didn’t see anything I moved them to dropbox from the plug-ins area. At that point all my websites showed that the theme and all stacks were missing.

My solution was to go the manual which directed me to the files. I copied all the stacks into that file and still nothing. I changed the add on location to managed by Rapidweaver but still no improvement. When I check on the add-ons (and finder referral), I find that the stacks are there but they are not showing up in my library. Reinstalling them does not work - they still don’t show up in the library.

So my assumption is that I did something wrong in step in bold above that broke connections.

(3) I love the explanation but cannot determine why the program is telling me that the stacks are not in my library since I know have them in multiple places.

QUESTION: I have a working copy of RW 7 on an older MacBook Pro. What happens if I try to open a RW8 project on RW 7?

Thanks for the help.

Cathie Turner

1 Like

Cathie,

So just to be clear: you are experiencing this apparent ‘disappearance’ of addons on one machine running RW8?

Is it all add ons, or just stacks, that are not visible?

Pls clarify what you mean by

rapidWeaver plus - as opposed to stacks

When you say that you

moved them to dropbox from the plug-ins area

where exactly (which directory) was your ‘plug-ins area’? RW (8) is designed to work when (its) addons are in any reasonable (that is, within the User hierarchy) directory.

Then what exactly did you do to

I copied all the stacks into that file

Copy into a file?

Given that you say that you have your stacks (addons?, themes?):

in multiple places

I’d suggest - if you’re confident in the operation of the Mac Finder - that you ‘gather’ all your addons, stacks, themes into one location, one directory.

Make sure there are no duplicates and that you have them all.

Then please post a screen grab of that directory here. Maybe make a folder called something like ‘rescue_RW_addons’ on your desktop and corral every RW add-on there.

Then we can take it step by step from there.

I’d leave other instances and RW7 out of the equation for the time being. Good luck :slight_smile:

Mark -

The website in question (I was able to move all others to another computer which is running RW7) is here. Here is a screenshot of what now comes up from Home Page.

This is a screenshot of where RW8 looks (I copied everything from DB onto another backup file after I had to dots DB to get my files back. They were all deleted when I switched to having this controlled by RW. So it is looking in dropbox.

In dropbox every stack is there, the Foundation theme is there. But nothing shows up. In the add ons area everything shows but in the library almost everything is gone (maybe the stacks that came with Stacks Purchase are there but that’’s about it). Thinking this was a DB problem, I have also copied everything into the Rapidweaver Library called out by the manual and when I check on reveal in finder, they are all there.

MarkSealey

January 16

Cathie,

So just to be clear: you are experiencing this apparent ‘disappearance’ of addons on one machine running RW8?

Is it all add ons, or just stacks, that are not visible?

Pls clarify what you mean by. Can’t find context

rapidWeaver plus - as opposed to stacks

When you say that you. I was expecting Ecwid and RapidCart to show up in drop box (I now see plug ins and stacks are different) and when they did not, I physically dragged them in.

moved them to dropbox from the plug-ins area

where exactly (which directory) was your ‘plug-ins area’? RW (8) is designed to work when (its) addons are in any reasonable (that is, within the User hierarchy) directory.

Then what exactly did you do to

I copied all the stacks into that file

Copy into a file?

Given that you say that you have your stacks (addons?, themes?):

in multiple places

I’d suggest - if you’re confident in the operation of the Mac Finder - that you ‘gather’ all your addons, stacks, themes into one location, one directory.

Make sure there are no duplicates and that you have them all.

Then please post a screen grab of that directory here. Maybe make a folder called something like ‘rescue_RW_addons’ on your desktop and corral every RW add-on there.

Then we can take it step by step from there.

SO I had already done this - it is a desktop file. Are you suggesting I remove every instance of these from any RW8 file?

Also a partial screenshot of what is in add ons as revealed by the finder:

Cathie Turner

So sorry, Cathie - you’re beginning to lose me here :frowning:

None of your screenshots made it to the forum.

If you have time to go through the questions I asked in my last post, I may be able to help. This looks like one of those issues which need careful, logical, step-by-step troubleshooting.

In outline, you need to be clear and explain to us exactly what is not showing up in RW… Themes, Stacks, other Addons?

Then move all such files - using the Finder - all into one place, one folder; and upload a screenshot of your Finder with everything in that directory; no duplicates.

Then we ought to be able to set about getting RW to recognize them there.

Other forum members may want to jump in and add to/amend my suggestions. I can’t really do much more until you’ve kindly answered my earlier questions and done what I suggest in the Finder to ‘retrieve’, regroup all the RW add-on files, please.

Good luck!

1 Like

Sorry about that. But I can report the source of the problem. When I moved Ecwid and RapidCart to stacks, I created an empty stacks folder and so only the stacks that came ‘built in’ with stacks would show. Once the files were realigned with Ecwid and RapidCart out and the extra stacks folder removed, all was good.

Not sure why the screenshots did not come through but I so appreciate all the helping ideas I received.

Cathie Turner

Not sure if you’re all sorted out now, Cathie. I hope so.

If not, please refer to my earlier posts. Good luck!

1 Like

When you delete a program do try and use an App like AppCleaner as it will also remove preference files from you User Library Preferences. Deleting and reinstalling the program alone leaves these untouched so when you reinstall, they persist in continuing the same behavior.

plist

After a complete removal, you will have to reenter your license code.

Always have a backup before troubleshooting so you can easily return to the previous working conditions and consider using Time Machine which is the simplest way to achieve that.
Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.