Question on duplication of site images

I’m not sure if this is a Stacks issue or a RapidWeaver issue.

I have an image in a partial that was originally a dropped image. I changed it to a warehoused site image. When I publish, the pages correctly reference the site image. However, the original image still gets published to each of the index_files directories within the page directories.

I have deleted and replaced the partial on each page, so I don’t think it’s a question of the pages retaining the old partial (if that’s even possible.)

Is there something I should be doing to “clean” the project so that the duplicate images are not published?

I did a test project to see if I could duplicate the problem, but the test project worked as I expected.

Any pointers here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

it is likely that the image is still being referenced somehow, possibly in a setting that is now hidden by a change to a setting.

if you made some change to side-bar settings, try reversing the settings to see if you can bring the image back, once it’s back, select it and delete it.

i’m not sure if being able to publish a hidden image is a feature
or accidentally publishing a image thought to be deleted is a bug

:thinking:

either way – that image is hiding in there somewhere – if you can find it, delete it.
if you can’t find it. send me your stuff (here’s how) and i’ll take a look.

Thanks for the input, @isaiah.

Here’s how I finally solved it.

1. Removed the component in the partial that was using the image.
  2. Emptied the directory that I was publishing to
  3. Saved the project and published it.
  4. Put the component back, this time choosing warehousing for the image
  5. Emptied the directory I was publishing to (I know, I probably didn’t need to.)
  6. Published

And voila, there was only one image.

However, I have a smaller project that displays the same behavior. I started it with a warehoused resource for the backdrop stack (this is uikit) and it published correctly. I changed it to a dropped image, and the image was duplicated as expected. I changed it back to a warehoused image, and the image was still duplicated. I hope you won’t mind – I’ll be sending you that project. It’s the smallest case I could come up with.

not at all, please send away, but i will also need the all the addons necessary to open the file. to get that i’s best if you can follow these instructions to send everything at once:

Thanks. I did send it. This is a weird one.

I looked for references to the images in the published files: grep -ril <image_base_name> * – nothing. Tried the same in the project directory, though since I don’t know how that’s set up, I didn’t anticipate anything.

Anyway, good luck. Let’s hope it’s my error and something I can fix easily.

Good evening, I take this thread. I plan the recovery of several websites and I would like to take advantage of them to optimize their resources “images”, and therefore, minimize the weight of these websites (and their speed of editing/publishing/posting). I am French. I found several posts, here in English (a little difficult for me to perfectly assimilate), on the same theme, and sometimes contradictory according to the version of RW! …

I did not find on the web of User Manual (only, a version 7 in .pdf! …) which could define once and for all the good practices as for the use of the resources with RW.

My image folders: all images/typos/videos are classified in a single folder, placed in the Finder at the same level as the .rw8 file where they are all classified in subfolders corresponding to each page of the site web in question. In the .rw8 file, I created exactly the same folder structure in the Resources Panel as the Finder, with the same folder names and contents.

Some questions…

How to integrate images with RapidWeaver 8.3 and Stacks 4.0.1, avoiding the duplication of these resources on the FTP server? …

The “Resources Panel”, what is it for? … Is it just a file viewer or can we (should we) use it by Drag and Drop for inserting in the Stacks pages? … I ask this question, because I noticed for a long time that the same image had been uploaded on the FTP in several identical copies in different places! …

Should we always perform a Drag and Drop from the Finder? …

Sorry if the answers to my questions have already been given, but I did not find anything after my research … and a little summary could help many of us … well, I think (and hopefully).

Thank you for your feedback …

Bonsoir, je profite de ce fil de discussion. Je planifie la reprise de plusieurs sites web et j’aimerai en profiter pour optimiser leurs ressources “images”, et donc, réduire au maximum le poids de ces sites web (et leur rapidité d’édition/de publication/d’affichage). Je suis français. J’ai trouvé plusieurs posts, ici en anglais (un peu difficile pour moi à parfaitement assimiler), sur le même thème, et parfois contradictoires suivant la version de RW !..

Je n’ai pas trouvé sur le web de Manuel Utilisateur (seule, une version 7 en .pdf !..) qui pourrait définir une bonne fois pour toutes les bonnes pratiques quant à l’utilisation des ressources avec RW.

Mes dossiers d’images : toutes les images/typos/vidéos sont classées dans un seul et unique dossier, placé dans le Finder au même niveau que le fichier .rw8 où elle sont toutes classées dans des sous-dossiers correspondants à chaque page du site web en question. Dans le fichier .rw8, j’ai créé exactement la même structure de dossiers dans le Panneau Ressources que celle du Finder, avec les mêmes noms de dossiers et les mêmes contenus.

Quelques questions…

Comment intégrer les images avec RapidWeaver 8.3 et Stacks 4.0.1, en évitant la duplication de ces ressources sur le serveur FTP ?..

Le “Panneau Ressources”, à quoi sert-il ?.. Est-ce juste un visualiseur de fichiers ou peut-on (doit-on) l’utiliser par Drag and Drop pour l’insertion dans les pages Stacks ?.. Je pose cette question, car j’ai remarqué depuis déjà longtemps qu’une même image avait été uploader sur le FTP en plusieurs exemplaires identiques à différents endroits !..

Doit-on toujours effectuer un Drag and Drop depuis le Finder ?..

Désolé si les réponses à mes questions ont déjà été données, mais je n’ai rien trouvé après mes recherches… et une petite synthèse pourrait aider beaucoup d’entre nous… enfin, je pense (et l’espère).

Merci pour vos retours…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.