Rapidweaver 8.1.4

Hi David, what happens when you preview exactly?

This.

Looks like you have pluskit from the screenshot, might want to checkout this post:

Yes, you have to update PlusKitā€¦

No. I no not use PlusKit. I do use SiteMap Plus, which also failed under 8.1.4. This is a big deal; because there are a lot of people who depend on this plugin.

To their credit the developer of SiteMap Plus issued a new verson of SiteMap Plus for 8.1.4. It works ā€¦ mostly. It is now impossible to flag pages in SiteMap Plus preferences to be excluded from site maps.

Once again, SiteMap Plus and this feature worked fine in 8.0.

There are new versions available of both.

See this post for more details: More Details

@notimeflat If you do not use PlusKit then why (the hell) is there a page named PlusKit in your screenshot?

I suppose itā€™s possible you named a page pluskit and you donā€™t have the plugin, but the likehood of that happening is really really low. Iā€™d suggest double checking. And the issue is not if you ā€œuseā€ PlusKit but whether you have it installed as a plugin.

2 Likes

Totally graduitous comment, Mathew, and you sent your post to the wrong person. I posted no screen cap.

You need to develop a practice of reading words, all of them.

I said I do not use PlusKit. The reason is installed in my RW setup is simple. I am working on a very large, complicated project. I have no idea what depends on PlusKit and have zero time to find out. My issues with 8.1.4 are in different areas.

Oh yes. Mind your own business.

Wasnā€™t talking to you,
The screenshot directly above my post shows a page named ā€œpluskitā€ and is getting the same error NSnknownKeyException. There are updates to both sitemap plus and Pluskit that need to be applied if you are updating.

I am aware.

New version of SiteMap Plus works with exception of not being able to exclude pages from the site map. This worked in 8.0.

there were no features added or removed from recent versions of sitmap.

are you certain that worked before? what version were you using? and which setting in particular has stopped working?

can you show me in a screenshot?

Checked in 7.5.5 and 8.1.4 and SMP 3.1.0 ā€˜hide in sitemapā€™ is working
CloudApp

Sorry. With exactly the same approach, pages that should be hidden show up in my site maps. Even when these are excluded in the main preferences of individual pages. I have found no way to prevent SiteMap from indulging every page in my projects.

Have you turned off the sitemap functionality built into RW? if its still on then itā€™ll overwrite the sitemap created by SMP.
CloudApp

The same is true for the Generate Social Tags in General settings, if this is on then any SEO stuff youā€™ve set by other means (eg Foundation SEO) will be wiped out.

3 Likes

thanks @PaulRussam - you beat me to it

RapidWeaver will clobber the file with a simplified sitemap.xml file by default. But you just need to turn off the built in one. This has been the case for a very long time. I think if I recall correctly the sitemap feature of RapidWeaver and the SiteMap+ add-on happened very close together. So, for probably 10+ years. SiteMap+ has been around a while.

And even as the current owner of SiteMap+, I think thatā€™s a good thing. A sitemap file is essential. Itā€™s great that RW takes care of this detail for web novices. And also great that they allow disabling it for those folks that like to use SiteMap+, an online SEO tool, or even customize it manually.

6 Likes

Hello all,

A general question regarding the use of SiteMap Plus.

When using SiteMap Plus is it best practice to untick the box ā€œgenerate search engine sitemapā€ in the Advanced section of Settings in RW?

Thanks Scott

Yes, definitely. It would create 2 sitemaps or one could overwrite the other.

You can also visit yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml to make sure the correct sitemap is being used.

Thanks Neil,

Iā€™ve just had a look and it is the SiteMap Plus site map that is being generated but I will look on my server too and see if I have 2 site maps generated.

Will untick that RW setting.

Have a good weekend.
Cheers Scott

I found my issue. It turns out that to eliminate a page from SiteMap Pro, you must turn off nclude in index at the page level AND turn off indexing in SiteMap Pro setup. In other words, SiteMap Pro will not override the degination of include page in index at the page level. In a certain way, this makes sense.

1 Like