RW 8 - Artful Banner text

Hi.

I am using Artful in RW 8, and watched the video. In it I could see ARTFUL in dark grey, then below it THE PERFECT THEME FOR ARTISTS in light grey and then more text below it. I can’t see where or how I can create all three of those styles in the banner. There seems to be something called "subtext using " under page styles, headings. But I don’t know what that means, how to use it or where to write my text.

I hope you can help.

In future, is there documentation for this that I can find the answers in detail? In fact, is there a detailed book or guide to RapidWeaver which I’d happily study. I’d love to know how far I can customise themes, what bought in themes do and so on, all written in a lovely book, probably called “RapidWeaver for Dummies” rather than scrolling through videos.

Thanks so much.

Thanks - Nigel

Unfortunately there’s no book or guides that I’m aware of on RapidWeaver 8. There is a limited manual on RW7, and there were a couple of books on older versions but most are way out of date.

About the best you can do right now is the various videos and ask questions here on the forum.

I don’t know what videos you have watched on the themes, but Ben has one here on the new themes with RW8. The first thing he does is change the banner background color and image on the banner for artful.

Have a look and if you’re still having questions about it ask here again and We’ll help you out.

Thanks very much. I did have a look at that, and it was useful, but the issue I had wasn’t mentioned on it. I hope someone on the forum has an answer to the following.

I am using Artful in RW 8, and watched the video. In it I could see ARTFUL in dark grey, then below it THE PERFECT THEME FOR ARTISTS in light grey and then more text below it. I can’t see where or how I can create all three of those styles in the banner. There seems to be something called "subtext using " under page styles, headings. But I don’t know what that means, how to use it or where to write my text.

There are two places to change theme settings.

Page level (different for each page)

Go to the page inspector

1. select styles
  2. uncheck theUse Master Styles box
  3. select the background color box
    2020-04-18_10-05-08

To change the text color for the Heading just select it (down under Headings) and chose the color.

And for the text on the page (near the top)

Sitewide level (same for all pages)

Ther only difference is step 1 above you select Master Stale in the left sidebar:

2020-04-18_10-09-38

Thanks.

But what I can’t get to work is to create the “sub text” in grey. I can’t see where to write the text, for example, THE PERFECT THEME FOR ARTISTS, that differentiates it from ARTFUL, and which puts it on the next line and in grey.

Thanks - Nigel

Right where your orange arrow is pointing it says (using <em>):
2020-04-18_11-02-46

That is for the HTML emphasized text tag <em> within titles.

So you can add it to the Site title like this:
2020-04-18_11-10-05

and get this:

What you are calling the “Sub title” is the Slogan and will take on the color of the body

Thanks so much for your help, Doug. I made the changes to the sub text in the banner, and white the text did change, also the layout changed, and everything moved to the centre. The only thing I changed was to add the tags as you can see.

Secondly, where can I learn this stuff without having to go to the forums and get help. I don’t mind doing it, but is there anywhere I can read up on how to do this myself?

Thanks - Nigel

The <em/> closing tag you have isn’t right, it should be </em> with the slash in front of the em.

As for learning, there is no real manual for RW8; There was a small one for RW7 that still applies for most things.

Most of the new training is Video. The RealMac site has some videos.

There is also RapidWeaver Classroom. It is video training as well but has some great training for about $20 a month. There are some free ones to try out:
https://www.rapidweaverclassroom.com/rapidweaver-tutorials/

1 Like

Thanks very much for all your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.