RW7 addons installation issue

yeah!!! this is great news.

one of those little details that has bothered me forever but not enough for me to send a bug report. finally did and a few days later it’s fixed.

the system works!!!

:slight_smile:

Isaiah

1 Like

IDK.
Disappearance of the addon from Finder was an extra visual feedback that it was successfully installed.
I have to admit that I tried twice because I didn’t read installation window and addon didn’t disappear from my Downloads folder.

1 Like

@rob -

• no other installer (that i’m aware of) works this way.

idiom (almost) always trumps everything else. so i think just doing what most other installers do is the best choice here. installation shouldn’t be surprising. it should “just work” the way people are used to.

• installation should not be a destructive process.

you might argue that the process is not actually destructive, but i would counter that 90% of users do not know where the RW library folder is. for all intents and purposes, the plugin is gone for those users.

Actually PS addons and Safari extensions (if you consider them as addons) work this way.

I prefer the new way we do it. It used to bug the crap out of me when an addon would disappear when I double clicked on it.

So in short we won’t be reverting this change as I believe the new way is much better. RW users might need a little education about the way this works now, but after an initial bump, it’ll all be good.

3 Likes

I still cant get stacks to install into RW7 double clicking. RW7 tells me it has been installed, but it never is. I found out where the stacks are going though. They end up in this folder in the add-ons folder (see image), restarting RW has no effect.

@doobox:
since its Saturday, is getting awfully close to release, this is entirely critical to all of our livelihoods, and RMS will definitely need more info than that post, I’ll me channel my best inner RMS and ask some questions to help beat a proper bug report out of you :stuck_out_tongue:

What version of Mac OS X, RW, and Stacks are you using?

Please provide, in excruciating detail, even if totally obvious to you, a step-by-step way to see what you are seeing so that a 5 year old could follow along and be certain of seeing exactly what you are seeing.

1. download the stack from this url: xxx
  2. double click to unzip it.
  3. … ok, now it’s your go

At each step provide details of exactly what you see, even if you’re sure that we will all see the same thing, and provide details of what you expect to see, even if you’re sure that we expect the same things, and point out how the expectations differ from what you saw, even if you’re sure that we will notice those differences.

Lot’s more questions that might provide some more detail

Have you moved your RW addons folder?
If you do does it change the behavior?

Is RW running before you double click on the stack?
If you do run it before, does it change the behavior?

Are you certain the correct version of RW is opening when you double click?
What makes you certain?

If you drag-and-drop the stack to the app icon, instead of double-clicking does the behavior change?

Does this happen with every stack? (ok, i’ll answer this: NO, this doesn’t ever happen to me)
Just your stacks?
Do the demo stacks on github behave this way?
Perhaps provide the specific stack in question.

1 Like

Very frustrating. I obviously seen this happening to me for weeks. Now I can not replicate it for love or money. I just spent an hour trying every flow I could think of that I could have possibly been going through previously. Nope, installing every time like a charm.

I have “Not” updated RW since yesterday, seeing fails.

I have however been able to reproduce a stack being installed ending up in that temp “to Install” folder in the add-ons folder. Normal installs seem to use that folder as a temporary stop gap during the install and subsequently move the stack from there into the “stacks” folder.

Link below to a stack that has got suck in that “to Install” folder.
There “should” be nothing special to differentiate this stack from any other stack I tried today, as I am producing them with an app I built.

For the record here are the fine details, even though this is now hard to conduct here without seeing the fail today.

Stacks 3.0.5 latest build on beta path always.

Download stack that has got stuck in the “to Install” folder for me here today : https://www.doobox.co.uk/Distribution/helloworld.stack.zip

Expand the zip on your Desktop.
Double click to install the dot stack from your desktop.
No step 3, either it will or won’t be seen in your RW7 library at the end of the install process detailed below.

What I saw between double clicking the stack and checking the stacks library inside RW7.
RW7 would spring into action (already running) and open a window with my stack as the only item in a list , saying about to be installed.
Then clicking the “install” button in that window springs the manage add ons window into action, and the install window button changes to “done”.
Clicking doe leaves the manage add ons window, and RW7 in the fore.
Inspecting the stacks library I was not seeing that stack I just installed.
Inspecting the stacks folder in my add ons folder, revealed that the stack had not been placed in there.

Yesterday I discovered that the stacks I was seeing failing to install were in fact being stuck in a temp folder that get produced during an install “to Install” in the add-ons folder. And never being moved on from there, into the stacks folder.

What had I tried other than this previously, to install a stack that failed to install this way.
Dropping stack on the RW7 icon.
Results were exactly the same.

Have you moved your RW addons folder?
No Never.

If you do does it change the behaviour?
I had not tried to be honest.

Is RW running before you double click on the stack?
Yes, I don’t believe I ever tried from RW not running.

Are you certain the correct version of RW is opening when you double click?
No not 100%
I am certain the that application I see spring into action is RW7 and not 6, that is obvious from the UI.
But I am not certain that the manage add ons window that springs into action in the final stage of the install belongs to RW7 and not RW6, as as for as I can see there are indistinguishable.
Also I always have RW6 running at the same time. Well had when seeing these fails.

If you drag-and-drop the stack to the app icon, instead of double-clicking does the behavior change?
No, no change was seen.

Does this happen with every stack?
I never tested the install more than a handful of times over the last few weeks.
Each time I tested I was testing with different stacks.
Until today I have not had a successful install.

Just your stacks?
That is all I have ever tested with.

Just dug out this support mail I got recently.
I never managed to get any more info from the guy. It may or may not have been RW7.

Hello,

I tried so several times to download, and there is no alternative: I click on the link, I get the ZIP file, I double click on the ZIP file, and then I have in the same folder the stack (yellow logo). That one I drop onto the logo in the dock. Then I open the application, and I cannot find the stack(s).

I see other developers like Joe Workman, YourHead, Realmac, etc, but not Doobox…
What is wrong?

Kind regards,

Raymond Clauwers

EDIT…

Spooky… This guy gets back to me today out the Blue after 2 weeks…

Just to inform you that I succeeded installing both GRID and LOUPE by reinstalling Rapidweaver and then reinstalling the two plugins.
Thx for your support.

We have fixed a lot of installation issues these past few weeks, so maybe we fixed it already. The latest version of RapidWeaver 7 right now is Version 7.0 (17635b). If you’re running anything update asap.

We have almost 300 beta testers and we’re not seeing any issues with installation right now. I’ll keep an eye open for any other reports. If it crops up again, email me - support@realmacsoftware.com

Once 7.0 ships, we’ll be on high alert for any issues we missed and will be around to issue same-day fixes to make sure everyone is happy with the update.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Dan

2 Likes