RW8 FTP Site Loading - Times Out

Hi I have been having trouble using the RW8 FTP client to upload my site. The connection: Timed Out.
I worked with my Hosting company and can connect using CyberDuck, so User Name, Password etc working.

The conclusion after checking the Log Files and error is that RW8 may not support TLS1.2 encryption:
-----------Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 16:06. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
USER exospher
421-Sorry, cleartext sessions and weak ciphers are not accepted on this server.
421 Please reconnect using TLS security mechanisms.
We got a 421 - timeout!
Closing connection 0

Can anyone tell me if this is correct and should I give up on RW FTP and just use CyberDuck?
Thanks Greg

Does this page help?

Not really Mark. I went through all the steps and it was only after checking the log files and sending to my Host company that the TLS issue became apparent. I am not sure that it is something that can be configured by me into the RW Site files or if it is a global setting … a bit lost at this point. Saved by CyberDuck; but really like the simplicity of the RW FTP solution (if I can get it to work). Thank you for your reply.

In the KB article Mark (@MarkSealey) points out, if you go through all the steps and can’t resolve it there’s a section titled:

Still having issues? Let us help.

You could try that.

Without more complete information like:

• screenshot of publishing settings
  • what hosting company you’re using
  • what happens when you test connect

It’s going to be difficult to get help with this issue on the forum. Looking at the log above it appears you’re using standard FTP (port 21). Does your hosting company support SFTP ? I recommend everyone should use SFTP if available. Much more secure and tends to be more reliable.

I’m using RW8 to publish without any problems, but my servers don’t even have standard ftp enabled(for security).

1 Like

Greg,

TLS1.2 is 10 years old and deprecated; again - as Doug says - surely worth taking up with your host.

Then this:

catches my eye. Do your settings definitely include the correct Login and Password strings/parameters?

Mark and Doug thank you for the input. I will follow up my host on the SFTP suggestion and see where that leads … I am able to publish so have time to find the right answer. Again thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.