Some RW7 feedback

I have been using RW7 full time for a couple of weeks and here is some feedback…

Some praise…

1. At first I was unsure about the black sidebar. Love it now…
  2. Love the unified sidebar with settings.
  3. Preview is fast.
  4. Code view is larger. Nice!
  5. Health check was a great surprise!
  6. Banners are going to be killer for “normal” themes.
  7. Custom addons folder. YAY!!!

Improvements…

1. View Source does not have line numbers. This is very useful to me when I need to look at a specific line number that is causing an error.
  2. Preview is fast. I seems that its mostly because of heavier caching. When I switch to a different page and preview, I see the last page that I was on for a while. Maybe the cache should be cleared when previewing a completely different page?
  3. Health Check alerts about the Page Description meta tag. I think that a special input needs to be created in the page inspector for this since its such an important field. Most users will be confused about needing to create a meta tag and call it description.
  4. If a theme does not support the new banner images, why not completely hide that setting in the page inspector instead of displaying a warning.
  5. When migrating the RW6 addons folder, why did you not copy the entire directory. This will be a support nightmare for all of us since people are going to lose some things during the migration. Please. Pretty please!

[quote=“joeworkman, post:1, topic:5403”]
When migrating the RW6 addons folder, why did you not copy the entire directory. This will be a support nightmare for all of us since people are going to lose some things during the migration. Please. Pretty please!
[/quote]As far as I’m aware we do. What didn’t get copied for you? A copy of your Addons folder would be useful to test. The migration mechanism isn’t much different in this regard for the RW 5->6 setup, so it’s not as intentional as you seem to imply, and likely a bug.

[quote=“joeworkman, post:1, topic:5403”]
If a theme does not support the new banner images, why not completely hide that setting in the page inspector instead of displaying a warning.
[/quote]OS X interfaces typically disable controls, not hide them.

We’re not actively caching things more, we’ve simply moved to the new WKWebView which may cache more. I’ve not seen this myself - do you have any examples we could use?[quote=“joeworkman, post:1, topic:5403”]
I think that a special input needs to be created in the page inspector for this since its such an important field. Most users will be confused about needing to create a meta tag and call it description.
[/quote]Will see what we can do.[quote=“joeworkman, post:1, topic:5403”]
This is very useful to me when I need to look at a specific line number that is causing an error.
[/quote]This should be a pretty easy add. Will take a look.

What didn’t get copied for you?

The StacksGroups.db file was not brought over. This contains user maintained groups within the Stacks Library. I know that there are many other plugins that store other files inside the add-ons folder. I only have Stacks installed so I cannot vouch if files from every plugin get moved over.

RE: Preview… do you have any examples we could use?

This happens to me in every project file that I open in RW7.

1. Preview Page A.
  2. Go back to Edit Mode.
  3. Go to Page B.
  4. Preview Page B.
  5. You should see Page A in the preview window until Page B preview has generated.

Seems like the migrator is still cherry-picking… we’ll get that fixed.

I cannot reproduce the preview issue. Again, a project file would be useful…

—N

Does it with this project… http://jwurl.net/1Xt0DPc