Strange dual launching of RapidWeaver after installing an add-on

RapidWeaver Version: 7.0.4 (17842)
System Version: 110.11.6 (15G1004) El Capitan
Hardware: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Issue:
I’ve occasionally experienced RapidWeaver having two instances of the application. I’ve only used the current version and it’s only installed on my startup drive and nowhere else. Sometimes after this happens when I try to save a project file (and I haven’t noticed the two RW icons in my Dock), I’ll get a message that says that this file is in use by another application.

To reproduce this:

1. Add RW to the Dock.
  2. Launch RW, via any of the usual ways.
  3. Install a stack that requires restarting RW.
  4. Somehow, two instances of the app start running with two RW icons in the Dock

Expected Result:
RW should not have two instances running and two RW icons should not appear in the Dock.

1 Like

This happens when you actually have two copies of RW installed, after an upgrade of RW.

I have also noticed this behaviour when I have upgraded RW itself. The upgrade process seems to squirrel away additional copies (usually within your ‘Library’ area). Next time it happens just right click on the second (unwanted) RW icon in the dock and then click on Options -> Show in Finder. This will show you where the rogue copy of RW is, and you can deal with it from there. I have always just deleted the old versions.

I can recreate this exact thing with one copy of RapidWeaver.

Happens to me all the time.
I’ve made it into a habit to chose not to restart the app automatically. I initiate the restart myself, from my docked RW icon.

Likewise. One of a number of ‘unexpected features’ annoying me at the moment.

1 Like

I’ve only had one version of RapidWeaver. I’ve never upgraded from any other version.

Have you never upgraded from 7.0.3 to 7.0.4 (or some equivalent ‘dot’ upgrade)? If so, you’ll often find the old versions remain on your machine.

Again, I’ve only had one version of RapidWeaver. I’ve never owned, installed, updated or upgraded from any other version, either a dot release or a whole number upgrade.

so can I - has happened quite frequently

Yup it has. Realmac has never said anything about it either. It is VERY weird to see two icons in the dock, and if you click on the icon that is normally in the dock, it goes to the other icon, does not relaunch RapidWeaver or anything. Have not seen another app do that.

@ben @dan any ideas on this??

1 Like

We’re looking into that.

1 Like

I realize that this is a small, but annoying bug. Still, it’s an ugly one that new users almost certainly encounter right after purchase when they start setting up RapidWeaver for the first time. I’ve used Mac apps since the days of the Mac Plus and no other app has ever done this. It makes RapidWeaver seem unfinished, untested and much like a beta or shareware, instead of a release version of commercial software.

1 Like

<my own personal opinion>
You mean like Dreamweaver for example which racks up at £210 ( $272 ) a year and is supported by a huge organisation of designers, developers and testers?

Rapidweaver comes in at $99 and coupled with Stacks and a few more $$'s for some addons gives you a hell of a bang for your buck. Lets just give the guys a chance.
</my own personal opinion>

4 Likes

RealMac clearly wants the product to be the best that it can be. If they had adopted the “give us a break-it’s only $99” attitude, they wouldn’t have created this very forum. They wouldn’t have staffers watching and reading what’s posted. They just wouldn’t care about bugs and they would put “give us a break-it’s only $99” in the banner on their web page. Instead, they care about the quality of their product.

This particular bug appears right when someone starts using the product, long before they experience how innovative and truly brilliant RapidWeaver is. It’s a lot like seeing a dead mouse in the doorway of a five-star restaurant. Do you go in or do you leave? Far too many people would just turn around and leave, and I wouldn’t blame them for doing that.

This bug, in combination with documentation that could use a lot of improvement, almost made me drag RapidWeaver into the Trash soon after I installed it. It seemed like low-quality shareware at that point. If I wasn’t being urged to use RapidWeaver by an eager client, I would have deleted it and emptied the Trash with no qualms. My gut says that I’m not the only one.

Only because of my client, I stuck with it and and slowly but surely fell in love with RapidWeaver. I just wish the first few dates went a lot better. That’s why I posted the bug.

1 Like

I was going to make a rude comment about Dreamweaver, but I realized that I would be preaching to the choir.

1 Like

I have the same issue

1 Like

It’s actually an OSX problem not an RW one, if you do a Google search then you’ll get results like this:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=42554
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1107445

Some of there date back to 2003!

Just wanted to let you know we’re aware of the issue and are looking into it. However if it’s a macOS I’m not sure how we’ll work around it.

Rest assured we’ll do our best! If we can do anything this fix should make it into 7.1.1

Cheers,
Dan

Plist Edit Pro (1.8.3) does this all the time too.

Now that I know other apps do it too I am ok with it. Just only ever happened to me with RW starting with RW 6