Taking over site, how do I get it into Rapidweaver

(Richard Gronostajski) #1

I am taking over a website that was built with Rapidweaver. The computer that built it died. How can I take over the site and get it back into Rapidweaver?

(scott williams) #2

if you have the original project file, yes. If not, you will have to start from scratch.

(Dave Farrants) #3

If you don’t have the original Rapidweaver project file it’s impossible unless you recreate the project from scratch, if the ‘computer’ died the hard drive might be salvagable with the RW project file, if the hard drive failed then there’s no chance unless the RW project file was backed up somewhere.

(Jonathan Spencer) #4

If you are lucky the original site might haver been built using RW7 and it might be backed up onto the site server. You would need to log on to the site hosts admin page and see if there is a folder called (lots of characters)_rwbackup inside there will the site backups in zip format ready to download, extract and open in RW7. You will need all the stacks/plugins/theme that the site used.

If not then you are up @#$% creek and will have to remanufacture it from scratch.

(Brandon Scott Corlett) #5

What’s the URL to the site?

(Richard Gronostajski) #6

Www.coredinates.orghttp://www.coredinates.org

(Jonathan Spencer) #7

The theme is from Michael David Design, it’s called Cardinal.

http://michaeldaviddesign.com/themes/cardinal/

The site looks like styled text pages have been used so you can copy and paste the text from the existing site in no time.

Or you could redesign it for a bit of fun!

Hope it helps.

(Richard Gronostajski) #8

There are separate folders for every page in the drop down list and every page in the drop down list contains a list of all of the pages. Too much to hand edit. I’d buy a copy of Rapidweaver if I could capture the site and edit it.

(Rob Beattie) #9

Unless I’m misunderstanding the way the content is arranged, you could copy that site in a couple of hours, tops.

(Jonathan Spencer) #10

Here you go, Merry Christmas. I copied it in about 45 minutes and made a Rapidweaver 7 project file file it for you.

http://stem.jonandboo.com

I only used one of the standard Rapidweaver Themes (Reason) but I tried a Michael David Design theme I have called Traveler and it looked pretty much the same as your original site. I moved all the Institutions into a separate folder as they were going a bit mad down the navigation!

RapidWeaver 7 Project File Zip

(Phil) #11

It is really he season of goodwill.

(Jonathan Spencer) #12

If you do decide to try RW7 then subscribe to Setapp, it is free for 30 days and has RW7 plus over a hundred other apps for $9.99 a month. You can always cancel before the 30 days are up.

(Rob Beattie) #13

Ha! Outstanding.

blah blah blah

(Richard Gronostajski) #14

This is indeed a Wonderful Christmas present! Many thanks for all of your help. When I get back to my computer I will get the zip file and see what I can do with it. I have never used a website design tool, only the Bluegriffon HTML editor, but I’m up to learn some new stuff.

Richard M. Gronostajski

Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, State University of New York at Buffalo
Director, Genetics, Genomics and Bioinformatics Program; Western New York Stem Cell Culture and Analysis Center (WNYSTEM)
Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Mol. and Cell. Biol.; Assoc. Member, Cell Stress and Biophys. Ther. CCSG
Professor, Cell and Mol. Biol. Program, Roswell Park Cancer Institute

Mailing address: New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences, 701 Ellicott St.x-apple-data-detectors://6, B3-303, Buffalo, NY 14203x-apple-data-detectors://7

Phone: 716-829-3471tel:716-829-3471
Fax: 716-849-6655tel:716-849-6655
Webpage: http://buffalo.edu/~rgron

Education is not the filling of a pail, it is the igniting of a fire. (Attrib. William Butler Yeats)
Question Authority!

(Jonathan Spencer) #15

I would convert the news page into a blog, that way you can send out an RSS feed to the institutions.

Rapidweaver can be very simple to use if you keep it simple.

I started to convert the news page into a blog using the built in Blog Page plugin but gave up quickly as there were so few details provided about dates.

This is the new project file.

Project File

If you eventually do use Rapidweaver then I would suggest a quick video tutorial from the makers of the software.

Start here.

Adding Pages

Good luck!

(Richard Gronostajski) #16

Jonathan,

Thank you so much for your help. I managed to get the site fully revised with the information that I have and even added a few pages and some information. I took your advise about the 30 day trial for Rapidweaver through Setapp. This gave my full functionality to do what changes I needed. I’ll either purchase a full copy of Rapidweaver or get an academic licence for Setapp.

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to capture the website and revise it so that it is more functional.

While I have you, is there a way to make the title on the home page a little larger? The text for the title isn’t in the home page itself but is shown in the General Settings menu. There doesn’t seem to be a way to increase the font size on it.

Happy Holidays,

Rich

(Richard Gronostajski) #17

Also, I’ve now fully backed up the site on the server so the next person doing this won’t have to rebuild it.

Rich

(Jonathan Spencer) #18

Rapidweaver normally uses ‘Themes’ which limit the changes you can make to font sizes and the position of elements but handles everything else for you. The upside is you get a great looking site very quickly, the downside is you cannot change everything to suit your particular needs. You can go down the framework road which adds up price wise as you need to spend ~$100 on the framework (Foundation, Foundy, UIKit and others) plus the Stacks 3.5 plugin ~$50. This gives you the freedom to build anything your heart desires but takes much longer. There are hundreds of premium themes which will style your page but will limit what you can change.

I’ve updated my copy of your site with a theme called Marvel from Nick Cates Design on the Home page, it gives you the option of a really big site title! It also looks really nice…

(Richard Gronostajski) #20

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Rich

(Richard Gronostajski) #21

Hasn’t worked. I even tried editing the default CSS sheet for the site. The font size changed while I was editing but reverted back to its original size when I finished.

Rich