Timeout Error When Submitting FormLoom4 Form (Resolved!)

@Custard-Apple I use relatively simple MachForms … though I do use conditionals a fair amount. However, @dave uses MachForms in much more complex situations with conditionals. If you have specific questions in this regards I’d suggest asking him (i.e. if the MachForm website is not clear enough for you). He is using forms on medical business sites: so dependability is critical for him and his clients. (Okay, dependability is always critical, but in his case it’s uber-critical. Much like your scenario.)

Obviously if you find a solution with FormLoom then that’s better since you are already using it, but always useful to have a second backup option.

1 Like

Another vote for Machforms. I initially got it for a couple of reasonable complex forms I needed to make which used conditional logic, but since getting used to it I use it for as much as I can now, even contact forms.

I recently installed it on the Template Repo site to handle support requests. Using the conditional logic feature I’ve been able to set up what is essentially a problem-solving walk-thru for a common support request I get: I didn’t get my purchase.

Assuming MF has the ability to do what you want, I’d highly recommend it.

1 Like

Turns out this is not a Formloom or RapidWeaver issue at all. :wink:

Just a very slow SMTP server that takes longer than 15 seconds to process. This is something that Formloom cannot control.

15 seconds is normally way longer than what is needed to submit a form, that is why it is hardcoded in Formlom JS. Most users will never need anything longer than this.

I have sent instructions to @Custard-Apple on how to manually edit the browser timeout setting until a custom setting can be added to Formloom to adjust this.

10 Likes

Thank you for the detective work!

2 Likes

@yabdab Yes, that’s great news!

2 Likes

Thanks @yabdab – I was reasonably suspicious of server-side settings. I had increased the PHP timeout but not the JS. So far so good…

So where do I send the beer?

1 Like

Great news. Send the beer directly to the forum, we’ll have a party here!

ron

1 Like

The other fantastic feature about MachForm regarding MySQL is that you NEVER touch the database, once it’s setup. If you add fields, delete fields, modify fields - MachForm handles all of the database stuff for you in the background. So, no having to go into the workbench to add or modify tables in order to synch up with the changes to your forms. It’s magical.

I knew @dave could not resist hijacking a thread to pimp Machform :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

My fault I mentioned it in the beginning :slight_smile:

Hijack? I was specifically asked if MachForm could handle this (it can). I’m happy to point out the benefits of any/all products, whether they’re stacks or non-Rw add-ons. I’d hope other people would do the same. I also don’t go out of my way to disparage any product or person.

1 Like

I’m in panic mode here.

I’ve been using Formloom 4 (and versions 1, 2 and 3) without incident, without SMTP, on many websites, most hosted on Chillidog, running PHP 7.2. Suddenly in the last week or two I noticed that my clients were getting multiple copies of emails from the contact form because the SUCCESS message wouldn’t appear and they thought they needed to send it again. I’ve been troubleshooting this for days and I get timeout errors, no SUCCESS message, but the messages go through.

I reached out to YabDab and they suggested going to PHP 7.4 but that caused our Sendy install to stop working and we send email blasts out to 20,000 every couple weeks so that’s not an option.

Can anyone post or message me about how to fix this? No offense to YabDab but if I don’t get this fixed tonight I’ll have no choice but to switch to a competitor — probably Chillidog’s software. My client is furious.

Thanks in advance.

@yabdab

Which Sendy version are you using?

Sendy version is 5.2. Just upgraded to it a week or two ago.

Yes I know that feeling, the weight of responsibility, sweating it out when things go awry, and days and days of troubleshooting. I’ve had the same experiences with inconsistencies when submitting forms and end users continually re-submitting.

I don’t have a specific fix for you but I would suggest trying:

• roll back to PHP 7.2 so that hopefully Sendy works again
  • edit or create a server-side php.ini file which increases PHP max_execution_time and memory_limit
  • increase the javascript timeout value in the formloom.js files which you will find located in formloom/files/… Look for “var timeout” and make it = 120000

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m going to try that immediately. I already rolled back to 7.2 and Sendy is working just fine. I’m pretty sure my max PHP execution time is 60 seconds which is more than enough, so I bet it’s the memory or Javascript thing.

What I don’t get is, we’ve been using this for literally years with zero problems. I have a feeling something happened with the latest RW update or Stacks because my host didn’t change anything. Or who knows, maybe a file on the server became corrupted. It happens.

I’ll report back and let you know if it works or not. Maybe my frustration can help somebody else :slight_smile:

Custard! Sorry to bug you so late. I think you’re on to something. I made all the PHP changes.

However I’m not sure where the formloom/files directory is. I manually edited the formloom js files on the server but they weren’t in the directory you specified. There is none. I would like to edit it locally so whenever I upload/update the site your edits are automatically uploaded too.

Sorry if I’m not completely getting it but I’m 99% there because I finally got the SUCCESS sign after submitting!

I suggested dropping down to PHP 7.4 because the error you were receiving was due to PHP 8 ( which Formloom does not support yet ) I am using Sendy with PHP 7.4 and have no issues.

I have since replied to your support ticket with additional follow up.

No worries though, we will figure out what the server specific issue is. :grin:

2 Likes

It depends on how you’re organising your file tree. When I use the Formloom stack, I put the Formloom page inside the the page hosting the Formloom stack: the Formloom folder will then reside inside the page folder. You need to look for files named “formloom-page.js”.

Thanks. I’m keeping everyone posted here on what’s going on between us so maybe it will help someone in the future.

We discussed that the problems started out of the blue while we were on Formloom 4 and PHP 7.2 for years. I checked the PHP version on Chillidog’s cPanel and all the domains were 7.2, but there was a message stating 7.2 and 7.4 were deprecated, so I switched to 8 for literally an hour. Went down to 7.4 as suggested but then Sendy didn’t work and that’s reeeaaaally bad. So went back to 7.2. But it looks like the SUCCESS banner is back and everything is working after I used @Custard-Apple 's suggestions. I just have too see why the longer success message is now showing up dark gray or black. I’m going to try to style it on the stacks page with CSS,

Thanks.