Tutorial on Partials

Is there a text tutorial on how to create your own stack or partials. All videos on it I found so far does not have subtitle and I am Deaf …

Thank you
Bill

Did you look at Yourhead.com - The maker of Stacks

You might find the WeaverTips website beneficial to bookmark and use:

These are all GIFs - just short, looping videos with no sound. Important keyboard shortcuts are displayed as subtitles. Here are a few specific tips for partials in Stacks 3, including setup of new Partials and renaming Partials:

This is a website built and maintained by @barchard

Thank you for the webstie, I will go check it out

This YouTube Video has some info on Partials, go to the 4:30 mark

I think he needs subtitles.

Youtube has Closed Caption on it

23 AM

1 Like

It does have subtitle but generated by YouTube. Joe happens to be one of those rare folks that speak in a way which YouTube subtitle generator was able to accurately translate it to text about 98% percent of the time.

I encourage those who make tutorial videos to use YouTube and have it generate subtitle for your video then go back and correct any mistake that the subtitle generator made due to your accent or microphone didn’t pick up the word clearly etc.

It will bring more viewer to your video About 15% of adults are hearing impaired in USA alone which make it about 37 millions people with some form of hearing loss.

With YouTube generating subtitles for you, if you do speak clearly then it shouldn’t take you long to go back to the subtitle script and correct the mistake that the generator made. Once you make it a hard copy then YouTube will add your video to a search engine with video that include subtitle for us Deaf people.

1 Like

If tickets ever slow down, that is something I can do for Joe. Thanks for the tip, did not know it.

1 Like

Bill: I’m seeing the subtitles and the transcript at my own YouTube page. But I’m not seeing how to download the transcript. Nor am I seeing how to edit the subtitling. Any hints on how to do this?

1 Like

Give me a minute - There was a tutorial that I been passing along to other somewhere on this. Let me go see if I can find the URL to it

here is one CC tutorial from Google https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796?hl=en but someone wrote a good tutorial on web somewhere. I can’t find that bookmark … Just do a Google search -> . How to add edit closed caption on youtube

Tutorial about automatic CC - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6373554?hl=en

1 Like

Bill: thanks for the info. One of the articles was not very helpful, but the other (the second) had some decently useful info. I tried editing an example video transcript within YouTube and that did not work. It may have been my error, but it seems this process is not as clean as it could be.

On the other hand, I could download the SRT version from YouTube, easily edit in a pure text editor (e.g. Byword), and then re-upload. That seemed an easier way to do things: at least for me.

Depending on the number of videos, and length of the videos, this could work nicely. I post most things at Vimeo and they do no have the same level of support that YouTube provides in terms of close captioning. Vimeo also recommends using VTT files which seems more complicated to edit. But it looks like they will accept SRT files as well.

The YouTube CC seems well over 90% accurate “as is” for me. Mainly it’s missing “nuance”: e.g. not capitalizing a book name. All understandable. The other good news is I was able to edit the SRT file in Byword and then update in YouTube. Plus upload to Vimeo! So that all works pretty darn well.

3 Likes

I am always trying to help those who make videos the easiest way to add CC to their video and so far YouTube is one way to do it. From what I learn from other that it is easier to download the file and edit it but it save lots of time to let YouTube generate the CC file for you even if it not very accurate then go back and fine tune it. It better than starting from scratch which mean you would have to go through the whole video transcribing it into a editor as it play and repeatedly pause rewind play. That what my hearing brother does when I watch him to add a CC to a video in the old days before YouTube add a feature where the system try to compute what being said in the video and generate CC file automatically.

We can tell when CC was generate automatically or when it was edited and added back into YouTube. I have CC on all the time in YouTube so when video start playing and someone uploaded a CC file then it will start playing the CC perfectly since it been checked and fine tuned. But if nobody added a CC file instead they toggle to allow CC on video when they upload video then the CC will not start playing and I have to go toggle it on and at the upper corner screen it pop up an message that it is a generated subtitle CC so it may not be perfect.

I have watch video that have near perfect CC which was generate becasue person happen to have a nice microphone and spoke with clarity in a room that don’t have too much background sounds. I notice video that were made outdoor are ones that YouTube are having the hardest with accurately. CC that was generate with 90% or better is very rare but the system have improved so much better at detecting accents and displaying the correct text than it did 3 years ago.

I just hope folks who love making videos will realized that if they spoke with clarity during filming that that could produce a video with a very good accurate CC rather than having to spend several day creating a CC for their video and use same SRT files for other video hosting sites. Also save thousands of dollar not having to send in their video to where they created subtitle for it, I bet many of those companies use YouTube to quickly generate a rough outline of SRT file then edit it to save time. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your motivation to learn this, it will get a whole lot easier over the time. Sort of like myself with RapidWaever and Stacks. Not many tutorial out there with accurate CC expect for Joe’s so I am very thankful about that but I kept up with it and now I am getting betterr at creating websites with RapidWaever each day. Before I was using Visual Stuide Code and Sublime to edit website with Foundation CLI so it is a big change for me. Before foundation 6 I was using DreamWeaver and switched to Foundation to start designing responsive websites.

Thank you for all your effort!
Bill

2 Likes

I will start using YouTube more regularly now to get the SRT code. Then transfer to Vimeo as needed. I’m almost always recording in my office (quiet, good recording equipment) so it seems that really helps YouTube as you mentioned. I simply have to adjust my working habits a bit, but this all seems quite doable. Thanks for the encouragement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.