Unable to upload to my site

My serviceprovider send me new logon data (server/id/password). On windows I managed to get FileZilla working; on the Mac I failed to do so.

I also have to update Rapidwaever Publishing Data. The publishing method was SFTP but is now FTP with the recommendation to use “FTP via TLS if available”. On windows it is, but on the Mac? The mode I have chosen is “Extended Passive”.

I am sure the login data are right but the test button results in “Couldn’t sign in to your FTP server. Sign-in details incorrect”.
What should I do to get access to my site again?

Cheers, Rudolph Smits (NL)
site www.belard.nl

SFTP is preferable. Did they send you SFTP login credentials? If so I’d recommend using those.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, but no, a SFTP-option was not given.

Today I have put a question on the provider helpdesk too but “answer within 48 hours”… When I get an answer I will ask for a SFTP option and will be back here.

2 Likes

Dear Dan

I had to reset my password at the hosting site for upload. I do understand now that passwords in FileZilla.xml are encoded, so useless for password-recovery.

All Filezilla logons are correct now (I can update js- and php-files) so the passwords this time is correct… :wink:

I have asked for the possibility to upload with SFTP, no answer yet. But I have 2 other Rapidweaver-sites and I see method is FTP. So it should work here to?

I have no server name but a server-address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). But that should be no problem, or is it?

Cheers
Rudolph Smits

Should be fine. on a shared server depending on how the FTP Service was setup should get you to the correct file path. I would think that they would prefer SFTP most hosting providers prefer this at least those that have security in mind FTP is pretty insecure.

Thanks Scott

The question about SFTP at the hosting company is still waiting for an answer.

With FileZilla working now I see no .htaccess file. Should there be one?

Like this for example:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on
RewriteRule ^ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]

Header always set Content-Security-Policy “upgrade-insecure-requests;”

who is the hosting provider our of curiosity

Dear Scott

SOLVED…! :grinning:

I am so lucky that somebody at the helpdesk of the hosting company could give me an example how to fill in the right data in Rapidweaver. And it worked!
I don’t know what made the difference but Method is now FTPS, server is a name and Mode=Passive.

I am glad, I could not sleep of it. Many thanks to you too for willing me to help. There gives the feeling “you are not alone”. And being far in my seventies that is important for me.

The hosting company is named MijnDomein.nl. They also do good jobs!

Cheers
Rudolph Smits
Netherlands

2 Likes

FTPS is secure FTP is not simple. well done getting sorted