Updating (very) old webpages

I built a website long ago using RapidWeaver 3 on a G4 Mac. Recently I purchased the newest version to run on my MacBook Pro. Not surprisingly, the new version won’t open my old website files. The project file is a xxxx.rw3.

Is there a way to modify my old website project so I can work on it in V 8.7?

Is it a massive site? If it’s that old it’s probably best to download all the content and images using something like Sitesucker, and start again. So many things have changed since then, especially responsive design.

However will tag @dan to see if there’s some way to do it.

Could we see the current site Url?

Sure. The website is www.xetexracing.com.

I have all the files and COULD rebuild it. Was hoping I could just add on and/or modify the existing one, of course.

To my knowledge there’s no conversion path from pre-RapidWeaver 5.4.1.

As Paul(@pmjd) pointed out, so many things have changed in the 12+ years since RW3, that you’d be better off just starting a new project with one of the newer responsive themes and just copy and paste from the existing site.

The internet is a totally different beast now than it was back then.

To be honest the site will look brilliant when built form scratch in RW8 and considering the site is a clean layout, you will be able to cut and paste 90% of the content straight across into RW8.

You have plenty of pages under the Racing | Boneville menu but the main site could be built very quickly and you could add the racing pages a little later.

It will certainly improve in becoming a responsive website.

You would probably need vet 5 & 7

I feared that starting over (well, cut and paste in a new theme) would probably be the outcome. Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. Now all I have to do is … do it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.