Why does the edit page sometimes expand

Sometimes the RW edit page expands and I only see half of it on my MacBook Pro. I can only get the full page back by closing RW and restarting, any idea how to fix this?

I have the same situation on my Apple Cinema 24" monitor. This happens after a couple of hours of an intensive editing session. I also have to quit RW and re-start it. I haven’t found a permanent remedy, either.

Could it be some memory problem in RW 8.6.2 or Stacks 4, @Aaron, @isaiah?

(I’m using Mojave 10.14.6 on MacPro with 16 GB of memory.)

I’ve heard this from a few users. But unfortunately I don’t have enough information to recreate the problem myself.

If someone can tell me what they were doing when the problem happens with a lot of details like which stacks are on the page, what they clicked on, what was last dragged, etc. – then there’s a good chance I can fix it. However so far the reports don’t have much info.

over the past few months i’ve been collecting info about this bug here:
https://gitlab.com/yourhead/stacks/-/issues/518

@swilliam and @joeworkman have provided some data and explained the issue and provided some screenshots. so i definitely understand the basic symptom.

what i really need is what is going on right before it happens. my guess is it’s happening when switching between pages, but this is entirely unconfirmed.

you’ll need to have an account with gitlab to view or add comments to that bug report. but accounts are free and they don’t send any spam. requiring an account lets us keep the bug tracker public and avoid getting too many spam posts.

My perseption, which I will try out, is that it happens (sometimes) after editing a partial. But like many thorny bugs it appears not to be consistent, of course it will be once you know the sequence!

One thing I can definitely confirm is that it happens when I switch between pages.

Another one: it happens after prolonged session. Never happens right at the beginning of session.

Third: it’s intermittent.

I know this is not enough info, but I can never predict when it will happen, so I can not monitor my prior actions in order to gather more evidence.

I have a strong suspicion: it happens only on some pages and never on others.

It would be really good to confirm/deny this theory. And if confirmed to note which pages it happens on. If it does happen on literally any page, then does it happen on some pages more often than others?

And thanks for your details @Rovertek . I know it can be frustrating collecting this sort of data – because it interrupts your workflow. It’s truly helpful and appreciatiated. Even if you just have one tiny thing to share. :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

1 Like

One more tiny detail: it happens on Stacks-based pages, because I never use any other types (built-in). So, I can’t say whether or not it happens on those other types.

This is actually a bit of new info, it tells me that you are probably switching from one Stacks page to another Stacks page – without any other page type in-betweet.

Three questions – all should be pretty easy – you can answer as tersely as you like:

1. Do you have any other plugins installed?
    Even if you aren’t using them in this project it’s still important – I will make sure I have the same things installed, when bug hunting.

2. Are you using other plugins in this project?
    SiteMap, PlusKit, and LockDown in particular – as those plugins interact with other pages in your project.

3. Is this the only project you opened since launching RW – or is there a possibility you had more than one open?
    I say “possibility” because some web-designers are often working on more than one project – so it’s hard to remember. If you don’t remember, I understand – just say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :smiley:. Other developers are working on a single project, so there is zero chance of opening other stuff. If that’s the case, it would eliminate the possibility of this involving more than one project – which would be a big clue.

Re 1. Here’s all my installed plug-ins:

Installed plug-ins

Re 2. Yes, I do have SiteMap Plus in my project, but this page is marked as a “Draft”. There is no other plug-in used in my project.

Re 3. It happens regardless of how many projects I got opened – even if there’s just one. Most of the time, I have only one project open at a time.

I have many stacks installed, my site uses Sitelok and Total CMS. Occasionally I see the following error which resolves itself and may be nothing at all to do with the issue?

Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Class ‘Michelf\Markdown’ not found in /private/var/folders/kt/mbl6kcsj307bq346wpk3v3w40000gn/T/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/RapidWeaver/37848/document-0x7fcca1998ea0/RWDocumentPagePreview/Teachers/andrew/index.php:130 Stack trace: #0 /private/var/folders/kt/mbl6kcsj307bq346wpk3v3w40000gn/T/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/RapidWeaver/37848/document-0x7fcca1998ea0/RWDocumentPagePreview/Teachers/andrew/index.php(141): totalpreview->format_text(‘

I started my…’) #1 /private/var/folders/kt/mbl6kcsj307bq346wpk3v3w40000gn/T/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/RapidWeaver/37848/document-0x7fcca1998ea0/RWDocumentPagePreview/Teachers/andrew/index.php(173): totalpreview->get_contents(‘cmsid1-about-me’, true) #2 /private/var/folders/kt/mbl6kcsj307bq346wpk3v3w40000gn/T/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/RapidWeaver/37848/document-0x7fcca1998ea0/RWDocumentPagePreview/Teachers/andrew/index.php(679): totalpreview->cmsTextFormat(’%cmsTextFormat(…’, ‘cmsid1-about-me’, ‘\n\n\n\n<!doctype h…’) #3 /private in /private/var/folders/kt/mbl6kcsj307bq346wpk3v3w40000gn/T/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver8/RapidWeaver/37848/document-0x7fcca1998ea0/RWDocumentPagePreview/Teachers/andrew/index.php on line 130

Maybe this is relevant?

1 Like

this post is not related to the original topic – you should probably post this to a new thread otherwise it’s likely to get lost in the chat about the original topic.

but… this seems likely to be a TotalCMS issue and i think your best bet is to take it directly to @joeworkman (if i’m wrong on that Joe, just let me know)

1 Like

:+1: super info. thanks.

my gut says these other plugins are unrelated – but all plugins installed, whether marked as draft, even if they’re not used at all in the project, have the potential to change the way RapidWeaver works, so it’s good for me to keep an eye out for these things.

@jwDave - do you have RapidBot or SiteMap Plus installed in your RapidWeaver environment?

if the answer is no – then i think i can safely eliminate these from my bug-hunting setup

Isaiah

I get this regularly, and yes, I 'd say it’s typically the same pages that suffer: Some never seem to have this issue occur, others do. But I can see no commonality, in terms of workflow, to when it occurs. I haven’t looked for any common stacks on the page etc. From herein i will start to keep a log though.

I have Rapidcart Pro and Sitemap Pro plugins. I don’t think there is any connection to these plugins being used used in effected projects, but will take notes going forward.

OK, that’s two votes for SiteMap+

@TemplateRepo - don’t bother looking for a pattern, that’s probably very difficult and in any case it’s not needed. what we need is a single concrete instance, even if it just happened once.

If you can say it definitely happened when switching between page A and page B that’s enough. This is enough to tell me say, “X Marks the Spot!” – then I just need to start digging in that spot.

But it’s imperative that you’re 100% sure. Otherwise I could spend a year digging in the wrong spot. This happens with unfortunate regularity. :unamused:

Unfortunately right now the X-Marks-the-Spot location is pretty huge. Not quite small enough to really start digging in any one location. Some other stuff that could help us narrow it down:

• was the sidebar showing?
  • was the library showing?
  • how wide was the library?
  • how large is your display?
  • do you have multiple displays?
  • in System Prefs do you set your scrollbars to: show always, never, or automatic?
  • do you switch between internal laptop display and an external display?
  • was the library in HUD mode, sidebar mode, or floating-window mode?
  • when you switched pages were you in Edit mode or Preview mode?
  • were there any other RW windows open at the time – other documents, the resources window, etc.?

believe it or not every one of the things in that list impacts the size and shape of the Stacks panes. and there are probably a dozen more than i’m not thinking of.

most of this stuff can be answered by just taking a screenshot at the time the bug was first noticed. but some stuff (like number of displays and whether you switch between laptop/desktop) you’ll have to let me know.

since this bug happens a lot to some people and almost never to others, there’s a good chance that some of these settings/setup/prefs play a role. if we can get get answers to these from just a few people then we can start to eliminate possibilities by cross-checking.

anything that’s different between two users experiencing this problem we can eliminate – and that narrows down the

In my case:

• sidebar (do you mean the panel showing titles of pages?) – this is always open
  • library is always open
  • library panel is dragged to its narrowest width
  • my display is 24"
  • single display
  • scrollbars set to “show always”
  • I work with RW only on a desktop computer
  • library always in sidebar mode
  • switching pages may have occurred in either Edit or Preview mode
  • no documents, no resources, no other windows open

In my case the screen layout is always (99%) like this when it happens (see screen shot). Yes it definitely occurs changing page.

• was the sidebar showing? Yes
  • was the library showing? Yes
  • how wide was the library? See screen shot
  • how large is your display? Macbook Pro Retina running at 1792 x 1120
  • were there any other RW windows open at the time – other documents, the resources window, etc.? unlikely
  • do you have multiple displays? Yes sometimes but it happens with or without
  • in System Prefs do you set your scrollbars to: show always, never, or automatic? automatic
  • do you switch between internal laptop display and an external display? Sometimes but happens with or without
  • was the library in HUD mode, sidebar mode, or floating-window mode? docked
  • when you switched pages were you in Edit mode or Preview mode? Edit mode

Hope this helps.

I’m not entirely sure how possible that is when practice, but I can certainly try. I do see the issue a lot, so will try to log as much info as I can whenever it happens. If 99% of this info turns out to be guff, but 1% is useful, I’m happy to do it, if you want?

I’ve copied those questions above and the next time it happens I’ll try to answer them as best I can.

Hi no I do not have either of these installed.

@isaiah

The issue has just occurred on a project I’m working on. I’ve duplicated the project so I can continue to work but have left the original version open on my desktop. I’m in the office all day, GMT timezone. Happy to work with you to try to find out the cause, screenshare, send you the project, whatever.

Let me know here or in a PM if/how you want to proceed.

Screenshots from the two projects…

EDIT: RW just crashed! So the project with the issue has now been closed, and of course re-opening it means the issue is now gone. I do know what I was doing before it occurred, what pages were in play, and so on, so if I can help with some answers, let me know.