RapidWeaver and macOS 11 Big Sur

Hello Weavers,

Not sure if any of you watched the keynote yesterday but it was jam packed with exciting software announcements and the future of Mac hardware. All in all, it was a pretty great event. If you missed the event, you can check out the news here: Apple Events - Apple

I just wanted to let you all know where we are with RapidWeaver and the future of the Mac. In short, things are looking pretty good!

Here’s some more details on our current roadmap and plan, but please remember: nothing is set in stone and things can and do change.

In our limited testing, RapidWeaver 8 runs in Big Sur. Literally, it just works. While it does work, there are some oddities, and a few small bugs. But it’s certainly seems usable on intel based hardware.

In my opinion, when running RapidWeaver in Big Sur, the interface doesn’t look as good as it should. RapidWeaver is going to require a fair amount of work to make it look awesome and fit in with macOS 11. There will also be a quite a lot of work to make sure it runs great as a Universal 2 app.

RapidWeaver 8 was released in 2018, and we’ve been pushing out free updates to it for the past 2 years. So the time has come for us to start talking more publicly about RapidWeaver 9!

Thankfully we’ve been working on RapidWeaver 9 for a while now and modernizing it’s code base (large parts of it are now in Swift), so our plan is to release this as a paid upgrade later in the year with full support for macOS 11 Big Sur and with forthcoming Apple Silicon based Macs!

All in all, if you’re a RapidWeaver user, the future is looking bright!

Will post more news as we progress. Let me know if you have any questions about this transition or update and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Happy Weaving!

11 Likes

Hi Dan,

I can not wait to use RW 9 for my projects and clients. Thank you for the update and info :slight_smile:

Are you going to open a wish-list thread like you did the last time?

Best regards,
Jan

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. Consider it done — RapidWeaver 9 Wishlist, what do you want to see?

1 Like

Doh! I just bought RW 8 this afternoon. I hope there are free upgrades!

MRT

2 Likes

Great news !!! Am glad you will be fully supporting ARM based Macs (and this ‘should’ result in your (FINALLY) having a product that will run on iPads… :slight_smile: !!!

1 Like

There is a lot more than the ARM processor to develop an App for the iPad.

It’s been diescussed many times:

1 Like

Well… if RW is being developed to support the ARM based macs then that much of the battle to include the iPads later on down the line… I understand this is a long term uphill climb…

I think you’re reading too much into the “ARM” processor. The processor has nothing to do with it, it’s the operating system that’s the limitation, MacOS, and IPadOS(iOS) are still very different.

You can add any kind of plugin to the iPad that doesn’t come from the app store. That would mean all the addons would have to be purchased through Apple ( they need their 1/3 cut of the money).

2 Likes

Me too, as a recent convert, this wasn’t good news for me.

I’m no developer, just me…little old me and my hobby.

Add it to the wish list topic.

Just bought my copy - navigated to the forums and saw this
Doh!
Didn’t realise how long 8 has been out.
Fingers crossed for the a free upgrade.

1 Like

I just bought RW 8 this afternoon. I hope there are free upgrades!

1 Like

I own Rapidweaver from version 3 and every time a later version has been created it has always been about a year before it was fully stable and usable (from 5 to 6 even more). In the future, I will certainly switch to version 9, but I sincerely hope that in the meantime the current version (8) will be made fully compatible with Big Sur (intel version).

3 Likes

I bought rapidweaver (3?) in 2007 and made my biggest site project thanks to it! I was lost in Dreamweaver and discovered Rapidweaver. I think it was in January 2007 and I made my site in 15 days while I had been dragging my feet in DW for several months. It has been online again for a few months, begged by Internet users of the Brussels Beijing Train (TBP1987) - you will understand when you see it - and it remains very educational.

http://www.m22.be/TrainBruxellesPekin/affiches/affiches/projeaff4.html

Today thanks to RW8, Stacks & Foundry, I have just redesigned the site of the course I founded in 1995.

Thank you Realmac Software. And “VIVE LA NEUF!”

Wishes V9
▷Be able to choose and create the color and icon of the folders (library group)
▷Make the interface more readable with stacks.

3 Likes

@thc260359
I have to ask… you are aware that on the AN123 site every page scroll event is being logged out to the console, yes?

1 Like

No, he’s probably not, because he’s not the knucklehead that forgot and left the console.log() in the Mega Menu javascript file. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Needless to say it won’t hurt anything, but I’ll get that updated in the next update for Potion Pack.

5 Likes

What exactly are you talking about. I’m not really a coder and especially not in .js … :wink:

It is literally unimportant. It is just debugging information the console.log() that I used when testing the stack originally. It will cause zero problems.

3 Likes

Zero. Literally nothing. Apologies, I should not have posted that message - could have been more discreet. It was just on the off chance you had altered, very slightly and without consequence, a particular stack. Nothing to see here. All good.

2 Likes