Stacks 4 - Are You Ready?

@Kevin_Atkins The solution is simple and it’s right there in the screenshot that you posted: update.

You’re running 4.0.0 and it has indeed expired. Just download a new copy and install it and all should be well.

You can always download the newest version of Stacks from our website: http://yourehad.com/stacks/download

Hi Jan

No: no changes overnight at all.

As for on other machines, I need to migrate all the plugins, addons, and assets from other projects before I can test, as each use a different set: that will take some time.

K@

No, I think you’ve misconstrued. I downgraded to 4.0.0 to see if it would fix 4.0.1’s hang issue, and to see if I could at least make some progress.

My point is that I can’t downgrade to test: it won’t let you do anything, aside from tell you you can’t us it, and have to update to 4.0.1.

K@

1 Like

ah, i see – i see now. sorry about the confusion. i thought the prior issue and the screenshot you posted where one and the same.

i believe, via our support email chat, that we’ve requested to see one of your project files. if you’ve sent it already, i’ll get to it in just a few hours (it’s 4am my time currently). i’ve got a hunch i know what it the issue is. and will be in touch tomorrow to see if we can resolve this quickly.

isaiah

1 Like

Hi Isaiah

No worries: I’ll raise your confusion 100-fold! Thanks for having a look: we’re in minor panic here, as we have some weekend deadlines approaching.

Yes, I sent a small project in one of my replies on this thread: I’ve re-attached just in case.

If it helps, I have managed to get a virgin Rapidweaver with a virgin stacks 4.0.1 in a virgin user account to work … just the once. I’m currently shuffling between my production account, and my new testing account to see if I can find any combos that may trigger the issue.

I’ve deleted RW, all associated files (AppTrap), and cleared system caches etc with Onyx. I then reinstalled as above in my production user account, but with only a basic installation of RW (not even the built-in themes / addons), and stacks 4.0.1 (to see if that would work), but that also hangs.

It’s obviously my Mac that’s the common factor, but as I can only get it to work in a brand-new user account (even my existing, non-production test account doesn’t work), it’s proving very difficult to narrow-down what it might be.

Thanks for taking a look. If I find any weirdness / normality, I’ll add it here.

K@

1 Like

Just an FYI @Kevin_Atkins, when you reply to a forum thread via email, I don’t think there’s a way for attachments to come through. Maybe best to connect with @isaiah saiah directly if you need to share a file:

Ah, OK, thanks Jason: I shall do that in future.

Don’t worry, Kevin and I are exchanging many megabytes of files now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bonjour @isaiah, je voulais savoir si l’offre de mise à jour à partir de la version 3 de Stacks (34.95 $) était limitée dans le temps ?.. Merci.

Hello @isaiah, I wanted to know if the offer of update from version 3 Stacks ($ 34.95) was limited in time? … Thank you.

I’m not Isaiah, but you can get the upgrade pricing here http://yourhead.com/store_stacks4_upgrade/

The upgrade for Stacks 3 wasn’t limited as far as I can remember.

@studiozellige - yes, the price of the upgrade will go up at some time, probably six weeks after the launch.

@NeilUK - we always have some upgrade price – but the price of that upgrade sometimes changes. it makes sense to encourage people to upgrade sooner rather than later. it helps our developers if they can developer for platform that is not too spread out across many API versions.

Merci @isaiah pour votre réponse. Je vais quand même attendre encore un peu LA parfaite intégration de Stacks 4 avec RapidWeaver 8.3. Allez-vous communiquer sur les derniers jours AVANT la date limite de l’offre de mise à jour depuis la version 3 ?.. J’espère que oui. Le prix de cette mise à jour de Stacks 4 me semble justifié par rapport au travail que vous avez fourni, mais malheureusement, je ne dispose pas d’un budget illimité (loin de là) et je dois le gérer dans le temps… Bonne journée à vous…

Thank you @isaiah for your answer. I will still wait a little longer THE perfect integration of Stacks 4 with RapidWeaver 8.3. Are you going to communicate on the last days BEFORE the deadline of the offer of update since the version 3?.. I hope so. The price of this update of Stacks 4 seems to me justified compared to the work which you provided, but unfortunately, I do not have an unlimited budget (far from it) and I have to manage it in time… Good day to you…

You can still buy it now, but install it later on…

1 Like

If I were a marketing guy with a good idea how to make the most money from a thing like this, I’m sure I would. But I’m just a programmer. So probably not. :yum:

If you’d like to buy it at this price, and you think it’s a valuable tool, I’d recommend buying it soon. But don’t worry, we’ll only raise it $10 or so. No big deal either way.

Isaiah

Désolé @Isaiah, pour ma maladresse. Je dois aussi mettre à jour Keyboard Maestro (version 9) et le programmeur a précisé la date limite au 8 octobre 2019…

Sorry @Isaiah, for my clumsiness. I must also update Keyboard Maestro (version 9) and the programmer has specified the deadline to October 8, 2019…

What is the best, safest way to test the new Stacks 4 without affecting projects in progress?
Thanks,
Tim

Here’s my strategy whenever I have a big update that might affect my ongoing work – not just for RapidWeaver and Stacks – but for macOS and just about anything else. The trick is just to take it one step at a time with a solid backup that lets you get back to work if you need to.

1. Make a backup.
    Not just of the one file you’re working on, but of everything. In the case of RapidWeaver make sure you’ve got a good back up of the app, the addons folder and your projects. There is a no substitute for a good TimeMachine backup.

2. Install one thing.
    If there are multiple big upgrades, do them one at a time. Give that one a day or a week or whatever you need to feel confident before upgrading other components.
    For RapidWeaver, I try to keep App updates and plugin updates separated by about a week.

3. Start simple.
    Don’t jump immediately into your biggest and most complex project. Start with simple things first. Learn what works and what doesn’t. As your confidence grows, move on to bigger things.

4. No deadlines.
    When jumping into a big update know that you might have to spend extra time with it. If you have time sensitive projects, then save the update for another day, or a different computer, or a different user-account.

Isaiah

2 Likes

Thank you very much Isaiah,

A big help and much appreciated!

Tim

Tim Proctor Tim Proctor + Assoc. Photography
tim@timproctor.com www.timproctor.com

@isaiah, je viens d’installer Stacks 4.0.1 avec RapidWeaver 8.2.1 : que du bonheur !..
J’ai eu à modifier 3 sites web, sans aucun problème… et j’ai l’impression que Stacks est bien plus réactif que la version 3…
Ravi de cette mise à jour… Merci @isaiah

@isaiah, I just installed Stacks 4.0.1 with RapidWeaver 8.2.1: that happiness! …
I had to edit 3 websites, no problem … and I feel that Stacks is much more responsive than version 3 …
Delighted with this update … Thank you @isaiah

1 Like