Switching from RW5 to RV6+

In the beggining when I switch from RW5 to RW6, my whole site was a mess; I had to rebuild almost everything. If I switch now to RW 6+ will it be the same thing? What benefits I had if switch? Thanks in advance, as always.

I had the same experience as you, when I switched from RW5 to RW6. Fortunately, I had only one project to redo from scratch.

The benefits? I guess the main one is the upcoming Stacks3 pluginā€¦

Thanks Rovertek.
Same here, my site is humongous. Had any problems with your stacks in the transition?

Printery
Sunny Puerto Rico

If youā€™re having issues in the migration, please let us know (and send us a copy of your project file): support@realmacsoftware.com Iā€™ve been looking into a project that should have shown this issue this afternoon, but the RW5 project was displaying the same (albeit incorrectly) in RW5 and RW6.

ā€”N

Thanks Nikf,

I did have problems with migration a year ago, I never switch to RW6. Now I have to do it. Just want to know if the old transfer rules still or there have been new changes. I have not decide if I get a new theme or stick with the same one, new ones are more flexible. Any advice?

Printery
Sunny Puerto Rico

@Printery
Have you tried this?
First, open and save the RW 5 file with RW 5.4/5.41 (not with RW 5.3.2)
Then you can open/importe the RW 5 file with RW 6.
Otherwise, you will lose some content.

Gracias Oscar.

I give it a try and let you know. Any problems with the stacks?

Printery
Sunny Puerto Rico

Please make sure to update all your stacks and plugins. If youā€™re still having problems, email support@realmacsoftware.com with your Rapidweaver version, your OS version and a list of stacks/plugins you have been using so the problem can be solved easier.

Just a quick note about the upgrade flow. We made significant changes a while back to make it easier: the guide has been updated to account for those changes:

http://realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/upgrade

ā€”N

Thanks Guru I will start with you recommendations and keep you posted.

Printery
Sunny Puerto Rico

Great guide, thanks Nik! But: why do you still link to RW5.4, when thereā€™s already 5.4.1 available? This disturbs the upgrade flow for the user, since heā€™s confronted with the update suggestion for 5.4.1 when starting 5.4. And since thereā€™s no information about this step in the guide, the user could get (unnecessarily) confused. So what about directly pointing the download to RW5.4.1ā€¦?

Hi Matthias: good spot. All fixed up now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m nearly ready to take the plunge but I wonder what awaits me. The upgrade guide says that ā€œideallyā€ I should be running Mavericks or greater to upgrade to 5.4.1. Iā€™m running 10.7.5.

Is it going to cause me problems?

Thanks

Rob

While it wonā€™t typically cause problems, we recommend that you launch RW 5.4.1 and RW6 on the same machine. As RapidWeaver 6 requires OS X Mavericks, we recommend you use the same OS for the initial migration.

ā€”N

For reasons I wonā€™t bore you with thatā€™s not possible. Instead Iā€™ve got an old late 2008 Macbook running 10.7.5 and RW 5.3.2. Itā€™s this set up that Iā€™m planning to update to 5.4.1.

I have a second, newer machine with RW6 on.

My plan is to move sites one at a time as they need updating from machine to the other.

I understand thereā€™ll be some - probably plenty - of manual adjustments that Iā€™ll need to make but this is the way Iā€™m planning to do it.

If you can foresee any problems, Iā€™d appreciate a heads up. Iā€™m planning to start on Monday.

Thanks

Rob

I canā€™t envisage any problemsā€¦ one thing I would note is that you must run RapidWeaver 6 on your newer Mac to ensure the appropriate app support folders are created before you try and copy addons to RapidWeaver 6. Manually creating the ~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6/ folder will cause untold amounts of pain - OS X creates this folder on first-launch of the app, and ties it to RapidWeaverā€™s digital signature.

In light of that, if you have a RW5 application support folder on your older Mac, maybe copy that to the RapidWeaver 5 location on your new Mac, and RapidWeaver will then migrate it for you.

ā€”N

Iā€™ve got RW6 running on the new machine already. Iā€™ve used it to build two sites. Iā€™m going to do the migration ā€˜by handā€™ as it were, taking over stacks and plugins as theyā€™re used by my sites and using it as an opportunity to lighten some sites that - for example- use the Nivo slider plugin and PlusKit and replacing it with a stack-based slider and Houdini.

The main thing Iā€™m concerned about is that everythingā€™s not going to go BANG when I run RW5.4.1 on OSX 10.7.5. Iā€™m going to be working with live sites used by real people.

The rest of the migration is down to me.

If youā€™re at all concerned, you can of course open duplicates of the project with 5.4.1. There shouldnā€™t be any problems, but thatā€™s obviously an option if youā€™re fretting.

ā€”N

Fretting? Can you tell? :sunglasses:

Thanks

Trying to upgrade to RW 6 and older RW5 sites. Issue is, RW 5.4.1 wonā€™t open in OS X 10.10 ā€¦ so now what do I do?